Ex Microsoft Employee tells you how to stop win10 spying/bandwidth use

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanLifeCrisis

Reaction score
Im not sure i can describe everything in this video, but ill give a description. Basically win 10, as many know, will be aggressively digging into your system and taking data, as well as updating. This takes precious bandwidth. He tells you how to stop everything you can, (nothing can stop the actual updates but a firewall tho), and tells you how they go about killing your bandwidth even when you arent updating.

Im really floored by the crazy level they went thru and number of methods they have to access your computer. Also i didnt know that with each new little update they do, microsoft quietly resets your privacy choices to give them access again. He starts off with clean install, but around 8 mins in hell show how you can do it if you already installed.

I bought a little workbook, and it does not have enough room to install the W10 "FREE" upgrade.   :dodgy:

Spend the weekend reloading my laptop. Win10 stopped letting me edit files I've been using for years.
Have Win8 on a small partition for the 2 programs I haven't been able to find for linux.
Ubuntu linux is now my main Operating system.  
Microsoft finally pushed to hard; Goodbye.

I vehemently avoided Windows 8. In my brief experimentation, my first impression was that Windows 10 was a much better compromise between traditional PC interface and touchscreen interface.

I didn't realize it sucks up bandwidth while running... that's crazy. While relying on mobile services I can't have a draw on my bandwidth.

10 is a huge step away form the way MS used to operate.
I'm not too thrilled with this new "upgrade" and all it entails either.
They seem to be determined to follow this path and I hope they haven't "shot themselves in the foot" time will tell.

I have a 7 computer and will be sticking with it to end of support 2020, maybe longer.
I don't think I will apply the free 10 upgrade , maybe if they get it together better by next August......
For now , I will be sticking with 7 as long as possible because I have lots of 3rd party software that I have become very attached to.

I know they have pushed out updates to 7 that add some of the questionable things that 10 does to it but will be uninstalling as many of those as possible just as soon as I can get a complete list and will be watching for more in the future as they are pushed out at us.

My XP now runs Zorin 7 (ubuntu) for my mom's solitaire addiction , and my Vista will be running Ubuntu Studio (I tried that out on the XP before Zorin and it was a nice OS for an old musician like me) when Vista end of support arrives in 2017...........

I am addicted to using a stylus in MS OneNote. I've been doing so since about 2003 on a Tablet PC(tm). Therefore, I plan to eventually get a MS Surface Book because the screen is almost the same size as a sheet of paper. However, I will operate it disconnected from the internet most of the time.

I plan to install Linux on my old Tablet PC, circa 2009, which will be used for surfing the net in coffee shops. I will also set up a Linux server-ish machine as my primary work horse computer.

I followed the YouTube video instructions "Disable Spying in Window 10" and modified my settings further than what I had set up on my new notepad.

I knew to shut some features off but I shut them all off and figured I would turn them on if or when I run into a problem. Glad for the post!

Brent

I'm avoiding the problem by not downloading/installing Win10. And my next computer will be a Mac.

As to the question of bandwidth usage , I know that you can connect with a hotspot etc and there is a setting you can make that will stop downloads when using that device.

But don't know if that still works with all of the "phone home" stuff???

Using Windows 7 and trying to stay on that has been a chore. Thanks for the tips. Microsoft is aggressively forcing upgrades to win10 when I have no reason for that. My hardware all works well with win7.

But now I need to read every update to see if it's a fix for win7 or another attempt to upgrade to win10 in the background. Latest Microsoft update was to fix win7 from getting 100% cpu usage while attempting to update to win10. Had to block that. Microsoft labeled it a required update. What baloney.

I'd like to clarify my reasons for not upgrading to W 10...

I'm not so concerned with security of privacy by W 10 reporting back to MS. I don't think they are using private information for profit like Facebook or Google and some 3rd party software mfg's.
I believe they are using the info more for improving the OS from things like system crashes , incompatibility with software drivers etc.

My concern is that I am almost always using my hotspot with 2GB/month limit and the constant updates would quickly exceed that .
Also not too impressed by their use of private computers to distribute updates to other computers freeing up their bandwidth at the expense of ours....... :p

My next new computer will probably come with W10 installed. I'm just going to keep W7 and even Vista until their end of support dates and have used and am comfortable using Linux/ Ubuntu etc. OS on them.

If these concerns are eliminated in future W 10 updates I may still upgrade my W 7 before the free cutoff date.....otherwise nope!
W 10 will happen in 2020 for me.
The Vista , unfortunately not eligible , will become a Ubuntu Studio machine.
YMMV
I'm happy to answer any questions anyone here might have.

Moving to Linux Cinnamon here with Wine windows emulator for more of my more finicky programs. MS can kiss my posterior.

Moved to Ubuntu a week ago.  Have a Win8 partition but haven't even booted into it yet.
Guess when I really need to do some mapping or Garmin updates I'll Boot Win8.

Installed the GCX console application on my win7. Audit tool says everything looks good and blocked my OS upgrade. Nice tool.

I started to look at Ubuntu 5 years ago and got sidetracked. Does anyone have a link to a free download?
Linux Cinnamon here with Wine windows emulator. Hummm....

Also, can you comment on the difference between Linux and Ubuntu?

Matlock said:
I started to look at Ubuntu 5 years ago and got sidetracked. Does anyone have a link to a free download?

www.ubuntu.com/download

Linux Cinnamon here with Wine windows emulator. Hummm....

Also, can you comment on the difference between Linux and Ubuntu?

Linux is the engine,    Cinnamon, Mint, Ubuntu,.....  are the wrappers.

Goshawk said:
Installed the GCX console application on my win7. Audit tool says everything looks good and blocked my OS upgrade. Nice tool.

GCX console application???