Everything is overpriced!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder Dan

Reaction score
In my last thread, I told y'all about a conversion van I was looking at, and you guys said it was overpriced. I went ahead and looked at it, test drove it, and I agree, it was overpriced. I also came to the realization that I definitely don't want a conversion van, I'd rather have a cargo van. So I've been looking around some more, and it seems like everything is overpriced. Every van I look at, I check the KBB value and they are always priced thousands over what KBB says. I find it a little discouraging. I have a certain amount of money and I want to buy something reliable, and still have some money left over to do my build. How do I find the good deals? Everything I am finding right now is a rip off.

Well, for starters, it's important to realize that KBB should be checked against Edmund's at least, and then there's that 3rd site that adjusters and dealers use and I can't think of atm...its an acronym, like NAFTA or something. Point being these sites provide good guidelines, but the laws of supply&demand and regional differences can really alter what you find in a particular marketplace. That said, KBB is generally thought to inflate values if anything.

The next thing is that shopping cargo vans in the $4k to $10k range has always been difficult when compared to other vehicles. There's a number of factors involved that cause this, but the end result always seems to be the same: finding the vehicle you want at a price you're happy with can involve months of patience, as opposed to days or weeks. The general rules that apply elsewhere just don't work out for vans...for example, many people trade in vehicles during tax return time, giving a buyer more options. However, since its usually a small business or tradesperson who owns a cargo van, tax season usually has the opposite effect on the bank account. Also, since cargo vans are work vehicles, people tend to hold them longer.

But its not unusual to experience exactly what you're finding. The deals do pop up, but might have to wait longer and expand your search area. And often conversion vans (not camper vans) can provide the best deals out there...

Welcome to reality.   :D

At the end of this month, the market will settle down.  Right now the dealers are all wanting to make a tax season killing.  

Keep looking here as members are always posting finds.  If you feel brave, look on Facebook.  Most of the ones I see there are on their last legs. Craigslist in your area will let you know how long a vehicle has been listed.  Usually a bargaining point.

Know what you want and be ready to move fast when you find a good deal, they don't last too long. The dogs hang around on craigslist forever.

The best ones seem to come from a government maintained fleet.  Search the city, state or county auctions.

I'm in a town of 150,000 people.  With large Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota, and Nissan dealers.  I've been looking hard for several months and found nothing.  Looked at some smaller used car lots and found one 2005 diesel  1 ton extended Ford but I do not want a diesel.  Talking to a salesman at the Chevy dealer, he said they got two in last month but they sold in two days and never made it to their web site.  Talked to a salesman at the Ford dealer, He said they had one last week but it sold the next day.  I left my name and number with them and hope they will call if they get in a trade.
Any I've looked at off Craig's List were not worth the asking price and I would not drive out of town much less out of the state.

Good luck in finding one.

I am guessing you know that the "asking" price is usually higher than what they expect to get and NEVER let it be known you really like a vehicle when working with someone selling. Also, I feel your pain being in KS. Such a limited selection of everything. Too bad you weren't ready to buy in January as that is the best time here to buy as they are "hungry". I noticed everything really jumped here for the "tax refund" crowd. I think it will start to fall off for campers and other vehicles probably past Memorial Day when most of the tax refunds are gone and anyone looking for a vacation vehicle has already shopped. Good luck in your search.

Good luck, I hope you are able to find something in your budget that is reliable and worth the value.

I want a conversion van because I feel a cargo van would be a target to thieves looking for tools thinking it's a work truck. On the other hand I would feel safer in a cargo van without all the windows around me while I sleep. Seems I have a valid argument on either side when I talk it out with myself. I could be wrong, maybe it's a girl thing. hahaha I hope I don't have such a hard time when I'm at the point to purchase.

My search took a long while and I was in conversion van land, central florida.

I was not set on a TV top roof, but am SO glad I have one now. Windows, nice to have when I park somewhere where privacy is of not a concern and the view is good.

Any high mileage vehicle is going to need some work at some point. It seems many expect a high mileage used vehicle to be as reliable as something new.

Most vehicles go up for sale due to a looming mechanical issue.
3 months , and 4500 miles after I bought my van, I had to buy it again as the transmission needed to be rebuilt.
The previous owner, had to know this issue was looming, as the ATF was fresh and Pink. no doubt he noticed it acting funny, and had the fluid and filter changed, saw lots of metal in the pan, buttoned it back up and broke out the for sale sign, put an ad in the paper, and jiggled that shiny lure till I struck.

So it goes.

Would i have bought it had I known the tranny was going to fail in 4500 miles? Of course not, but any other purchase could have had some similar issue looming, or a bunch of hassling frustrating lesser repairs looming.

And if I took my van to a mechanic, unless he dropped the transmission pan, which they would not for an inspection, he would have overlooked it.

So expand the search, and expect that you will have to put some money towards its mechanicals at some point, possibly major mechanicals. Finding major mechanicals is a bargaining chip.

Everybody thinks what they own is more valuable than it is, and the prospective buyer thinks the opposite. This has not changed in thousands of years and will not change until humanity self destructs completely

Cheli said:
Good luck, I hope you are able to find something in your budget that is reliable and worth the value.

I  want a conversion van because I feel a cargo van would be a target to thieves looking for tools thinking it's a work truck.  On the other hand I would feel safer in a cargo van without all the windows around me while I sleep.  Seems I have a valid argument on either side when I talk it out with myself.  I could be wrong, maybe it's a girl thing.  hahaha  I hope I don't have such a hard time when I'm at the point to purchase.

I think you're right, a lot of it is just a matter of perspective. It took me a while to work out that I definitely want a cargo van, and even now, I'm only 90% sure, LOL.

It took me six months to find something, at which point I realized that the price point I had in mind was totally unreasonable and I ended up having to partially finance through my credit union to get what I wanted.  Fortunately, because I'm retired with a steady pension, I'm able to swing the payments without a problem.

I gave up on Craig's list early on, it was clearly all junk.

Ended up searching on CARS.com and AUTOTRADER.com and finally found a low mileage 2012 at a price I could live with.

You might search on Ebay motors as well as CARS and AUTOTRADER

Optimistic Paranoid said:
It took me six months to find something, at which point I realized that the price point I had in mind was totally unreasonable and I ended up having to partially finance through my credit union to get what I wanted.  Fortunately, because I'm retired with a steady pension, I'm able to swing the payments without a problem.

I gave up on Craig's list early on, it was clearly all junk.

Ended up searching on CARS.com and AUTOTRADER.com and finally found a low mileage 2012 at a price I could live with.

You might search on Ebay motors as well as CARS and AUTOTRADER

I am wary of taking out a loan, but it might be OK to take a small one that I could pay off quickly.

I drove to White House, Tn. today and checked out the vans at http://valuecargovans.com/.  I test drove three and bought a 2012 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van 2500 135".  I left it there today to have the shelf units removed.  I'll drive back tomorrow and pick it up.  

2012 CHEVY VAN.JPG

I paid $16,500 for it and am very happy with the price.  The condition is as good as any I have ever seen.  

An enjoyable buying experience.  Very low pressure, I told them what I wanted: 2012 or newer, under 100k miles, under $18K tax and title.
They showed me three that fit and gave me the keys to test drive.  They told me to head south then cut over to I65 nobody rode with me.  The first two were Ford E-150 with 4.6L.  They were under powered in my opinion and had a very stiff ride.  The Chevy with a 4.8L had much more power and a lot better ride.   I'll post pictures in a new thread.

Attachments

• 2012 CHEVY VAN.JPG
    2012 CHEVY VAN.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 8
VJG1977 said:
I drove to White House, Tn. today and checked out the vans at http://valuecargovans.com/.  I test drove three and bought a 2012 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van 2500 135".  I left it there today to have the shelf units removed.  I'll drive back tomorrow and pick it up.  

I paid $16,500 for it and am very happy with the price.  The condition is as good as any I have ever seen.  

An enjoyable buying experience.  Very low pressure, I told them what I wanted: 2012 or newer, under 100k miles, under $18K tax and title.
They showed me three that fit and gave me the keys to test drive.  They told me to head south then cut over to I65 nobody rode with me.  The first two were Ford E-150 with 4.6L.  They were under powered in my opinion and had a very stiff ride.  The Chevy with a 4.8L had much more power and a lot better ride.   I'll post pictures in a new thread.

Did they negotiate the price or do you really pay the price they have listed? I might have to drive out there with a friend or catch a bus or something. They seem like good clean vans.