Establishing domicile + relocating business frequently. Your thoughts & help please!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vancrab

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been wanting to live out of a van to reduce expenses, explore new areas, and create more time to do what I love (photography). My biggest deterrent at the moment is that I own a small business where I sell physical goods. I have been doing this for a number of years out of an apartment and it has allowed me to move from state to state as I please, but I would have to establish residency each time which gets expensive and I would also have to commit to a lease term.

My short-term goal is to live out of van while being able to run my business from a small office rental. I'd be able to get my work done in the morning at the office and then have the rest of the day to explore, so basically I'd be trading in an apartment lease + utilities ($1200+) for an office expense ($400-$500) and then I would be able to relocate to a new city as I please without being tied down.

My long-term goal is to build up enough savings through my current business, close or sell the company, and then do freelance photography full time.

Questions I have:

1. Would establishing a domicile in a place like South Dakota allow for this while operating a business out of various states throughout the year?

2. If yes to the above, can I get a business license in another state while being domiciled in South Dakota?

3. If yes to the above, would I pay my business sales tax to the state that I'm selling out of, or South Dakota?

I would also love to get your thoughts from others who have already started rv or van living full time. Do you think the idea I have is sound, or should I just continue to do what I do now (living in an apartment while operating my business), save up enough money while establishing myself as a photographer in my spare time, and then eventually go full time in a van. I'm not at all passionate about the work I do now, but it allows me to stay afloat. It just seems like a long task and the money I make is just going to someone else for rent. Decisions, decisions. 

Thanks in advance as all of this is overwhelming. I hope this discussion can maybe help others that are in a similar situation or are thinking about doing the same.

I do not know the answers to what you have posted. If you are mailing or shipping items you are warehousing yourself, it seems like a drop shipping service would fit your needs and then no need for an "office" to pay for. Your "office" could be your van and with modern communications, cell phones and MIFI/hotspot devices, you could communicate from almost anywhere. In any case a CPA should probably be consulted. You business would be based on wherever your dropshipping service is I would think.

My $0.02 worth

It is generally illegal for a non-lawyer or unlicensed attorney to offer legal advice. However the various state do have free legal advisors who can answer you questions with 100 percent accuracy. That is the source you should stick to for obtaining such information.

A CPA will be needed for the taxing issue and is all I was addressing. A lawyer may be able to address the taxing issue too.

To be specific, don't talk to a cop about a plumbing problem.

See a CPA in your current state. Then, talk to one in the state your moving into.
Collection and payment of tax along with a paper trail gets stupid fast.

just my ol 2¢ from experience.

I'll be doing something similar.  I have to give up my apartment soon, after having recently started an online microbusiness with inventory. I'm going to move my inventory to a storage unit and access it when I need to ship something.  My personal stuff will be in there, too.  And then I'll be sleeping in my vehicle relatively nearby.  I'll be free to travel a bit because I don't have an immediate shipping policy, so if it takes me two days to get back to the unit to ship something to a buyer, I'll still be within the window.

So, essentially I'm trading rent on my apartment for rent on a storage unit. But I'll be managing my biz using my laptop, either in my car or at Sbux, so no office needed.  Eventually I'll sell off my inventory and get on the road, doing something else. 

I'm not changing states yet, so I will be operating within a jurisdiction with rules that are familiar to me.  You'd probably benefit from talking to a business accountant (doesn't have to be a CPA, just someone knowledgeable and good at what they do) , a lawyer, or an expert from SCORE.

what is SCORE? please define your abbreviations or acronyms whatever you want to call it.

in the California desert SCORE stands for, "Southern California Offroad Racing Enterprises" and I am pretty sure that is not what you are talking about.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
what is SCORE?  please define your abbreviations or acronyms whatever you want to call it.

SCORE is an organization that's been around since the 60s, I think. SCORE offers free mentoring on starting or running a small business from retired business professionals. The retired mentor sits down with you in private one-to-one sessions to go over your business plans and give advice - at no cost. They also offer workshops and seminars on business topics free or for a nominal cost. Public libraries often have information about getting business mentoring from SCORE, or are locations for their seminars. In NYC, SCORE has a big office with a large selection of mentors, which means someone can likely find a mentor with expertise in a specific type of business. They have locations all over the country, and are supported by the US Small Business Administration (SBA).

https://www.score.org/

Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE).

These guys might be ok in some areas of the country, mostly a bunch of old guys sitting around a spare room in the courthouse playing cards and drinking coffee. I've had the experience twice over 20 years in two large cities to ask for direction/information which any retired executive would have had at least a passing bit of information to share. Both times they said they don't get into that stuff here.

If either of these groups I talked with had a tiny bit of experience with business they hid it well.
My 2¢ don't waist your time.

I had a cash for gold business in the past. As far as paying taxes and all that it goes off the state your business is registered in. If you're doing business in a different state you may need a license for that state but everything goes back to the state you're busines is in.

South Dakota would probably be good because no state taxes.

I'm looking to do something similar. My plan was to get a storage unit yo assemble my product and use the Americas mailbox address. I'll admit I haven't fully looked into this part yet but that's where I'll be starting.

highdesertranger said:
. . . we ask for definitions not just an abbreviation or acronym. unless it's well known or in our list.

Sorry about that. I guess I made an incorrect assumption! Honestly, I had no idea that SCORE isn't well-known. I've known about it all my adult life, as it always gets recommended to people wanting to start a biz. And since I'm at my library quite often, I'm always seeing flyers for it.

Matlock, it's unfortunate that you had a negative experience with SCORE. It must just depend on location. I had very positive experiences here in NYC. My mentor was a wonderful man who gave me lots of ideas and made sure to emphasize the hard realities of running a small biz. He met with me while recovering from serious treatments for cancer and although he was worn out and tired, he was enthusiastic and encouraging towards me. Sadly, he passed away, but he was definitely a positive force when we worked together.

Hey no biggie but I have also known about SCORE since 1973, the desert racing SCORE. highdesertranger