Equifax data breach

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
I am sure you have all heard about the data hack at equifax.  Not only was your name, ssno, address, birthdate taken... but, your credit card numbers, passwords. AND all your online accounts and passwords.

143 million people.    Basically everyone with credit.

So...recommended you freeze your credit with the 3 credit reporting agencies, and change the password in everything.

Ah geez.    So here is my problem
I enter info for experian...and transunion...then I run up against these two questions...

Prior to 2017 which year vehicle did you own?

Oh give me a break!   I owned 4 vehicles in that list...BUT only one answer is correct!   How does your crystal ball work?   How do you guess which correct answer they want?

Then...same issue with phone number.   They give a list of the last four digits...which ONE did you have?   Yeah..3 in that list are correct.

Anyone else having real trouble getting thru their security?  Seems like it was designed to keep out the only person that has a valid right....sure didn't keep out the hackers!

I filed a complaint with the Federal consumer financial complaint division...but, worry about not being able to get this freeze done

VanKitten,

I just left my job in the financial mortgage industry where we reviewed credit reports. The vehicle question could be tied to a vehicle loan you previously had, I would personally choose the most current, but make that decision on your own. The phone number could also be tied to a previous Verizon, Sprint, etc account. Good luck, this really sucks!

Not since I was a teen have I taken out a loan to buy a car (I'm 66 now). I did enter the most recent. Buzzzzz...wrong

I'll see what follow up I get from the FTC consumer division.

VanKitten said:
I am sure you have all heard about the data hack at equifax.   Not only was your name, ssno, address, birthdate taken... but, your credit card numbers, passwords. AND all your online accounts and passwords.

143 million people.    Basically everyone with credit.

So...recommended you freeze your credit with the 3 credit reporting agencies, and change the password in everything.

Ah geez.    So here is my problem
I enter info for experian...and transunion...then I run up against these two questions...

Prior to 2017 which year vehicle did you own?

Oh give me a break!   I owned 4 vehicles in that list...BUT only one answer is correct!   How does your crystal ball work?   How do you guess which correct answer they want?

Then...same issue with phone number.   They give a list of the last four digits...which ONE did you have?   Yeah..3 in that list are correct.

Anyone else having real trouble getting thru their security?  Seems like it was designed to keep out the only person that has a valid right....sure didn't keep out the hackers!

I filed a complaint with the Federal consumer financial complaint division...but, worry about not being able to get this freeze done

Not sure if this has been said already, but there's a URL you can check to see if you were part of the breach.  If so, they do have a free credit protection plan they'll give you.   I'd suggest folks start there.

VanKitten said:
Yep..I check.  Yep, I was one of the 143 million that lost private info in the hack.

Me too, thank you so for starting this thread, I was not aware of the breach.
FWIW, couple of good articles noticed on krebsonsecurity site and pcworld site.

UmpquaTim said:
Not sure if this has been said already, but there's a URL you can check to see if you were part of the breach.  If so, they do have a free credit protection plan they'll give you.   I'd suggest folks start there.
By chance have the link?

VanKitten said:
https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/potential-impact/

Just be careful...if you decide to use the free year of Id protection..make sure you select to opt out of the clause requiring mediation.   You could be cutting yourself off from class action suit otherwise.
I was about to enter my details when a thought struck me, wait a minute, exactly who am I giving my details to? So off to google land to research who actually owns the credit reporting bureaus? I found a very interesting site that I will post a link to below.
Link ---> http://petetheplanner.com/our-focus-on-our-credit-reports-have-taken-us-to-an-ugly-place/

Not only was your name, ssno, address, birthdate taken... but, your credit card numbers, passwords. AND all your online accounts and passwords.

I beg to differ on a few items. My usernames and passwords for online accounts are not stored on any credit reporting service. My username and password to any credit reporting company are unique, never used anywhere else.
Indeed my SSN and birth date maybe found but for me I have no worries. I haven't used credit in 10 years, I have no open credit card accounts or any credit account. It would be rather comical for the bad guys to try and create credit in my name.

"AND all your online accounts and passwords"

yeah, that's i wondered - how/why would equifax even have all that info to lose?

mayble said:
"AND all your online accounts and passwords"

yeah, that's i wondered - how/why would equifax even have all that info to lose?

I suspect EQUIFAX is conducting a fishing expedition to recruit more customers. This is why I posted the link in post 9 above.
Now I don't trust them at all.

Just a note, now the spammers are using this to phish for your information. I just got an email phishing for details using the subject of equifaxes breach.
Don't fall for this people!