Epub Reader

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanC

Reaction score
I'm new to Ebooks - read a couple online and downloaded a couple. I don't understand the reader part. Is there such a thing as a free reader that isn't a trial. I did download EPub3 reader but didn't use it and now it's expired. Can I just download different trial versions and uninstall the last reader, or is there a free one that lasts forever? Obviously, I'm pretty ignorant to computer terms, so any simple pointers would be much appreciated.  Thanks

To the best of my knowledge Epub is a method of publishing books on the internet.

A reader would be the application that lets you read those books.

With the use of a library card from your 'home' base (or anyone else that will give you a permanent library card), you can utilize the Overdrive portion of the library system and download Epub books to whatever device you want to use.

Once my Sony EReader bit the dust I bought a Kindle Fire. I prefer to read books on it as opposed to my laptop but it's about the same size as most tablets. If you've already got a tablet then I'd use it.

If you dont have a kindle of any kind, get one. I have 5 in my home. My new ones were only $70 with quad core and lots of storage. I buy kindle unlimited for $10 a month. Worth it if youre an avid reader.

Kindle and Nook both have free apps for desktops and androids. I send epub files to my kindle app and read them that way.

Sounds like you got tricked into downloading a reader app that has ulterior motives. These days there really isn't any such thing as a reader app that costs money, not when the biggest players in the game offer it for free. Worth taking a closer look at what you downloaded to make sure it isn't possibly malicious in a hidden way, since it's apparently at least deceptive.

fyi, Kindle eReaders (not Kindle Fire) use eInk screens instead of LCD, and the difference is huge both for eye strain and ability to read in direct sunlight. As someone said, the base versions are so cheap these days...

Thanks all. i just have the laptop. I downloaded a trial version just now, which is working well, but I think it only lasts a week. I might just have to end up buying one I guess. I usually only read a couple of books a month but thought I'd get a few from Gutenburg to read when I'm out of paperbacks and give me more options.

Ian the Kindle reader is free. not only that but they are always offering free books. highdesertranger

You can also try LibriVox. It is free and I really enjoy it. It is for audio books. I love to listen to audiobooks when I drive or on a rainy day. My eyes get tired, I like letting someone read to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calibre. It's available for Mac, Windows, and Linux. You can convert among formats, such as ePub and PDF. With a plugin, you can even remove DRM from Kindle books when importing. And you can edit ebooks as well.

I would stick with Kindle.  Basicaly, Kindle and Nook are the VHS and Betamax of Ereaders, and Kindle has pretty much knocked out Nook.

I invested a lot in Nook books, only to one day have my computer refuse to open them.  Turns out I needed an updated version, BUT no updated version was available for Windows 7.  Fortunately, I can still read them on my Android tablet.

But these days I only buy Kindle format from Amazon.

highdesertranger said:
Ian the Kindle reader is free.  not only that but they are always offering free books.  highdesertranger

Thanks, I guess I didn't do enough research before diving in.

leef said:
Calibre. It's available for Mac, Windows, and Linux. You can convert among formats, such as ePub and PDF. With a plugin, you can even remove DRM from Kindle books when importing. And you can edit ebooks as well.
+1 for Calibre

I avoid anything with DRM built in as much as possible.

Kindle for PC
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/kindle_for_pc.html

Kindle for Android
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/kindle_for_android.html
Or go to Google Play

Calibre
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/calibre.html
also on Google Play

I have had no problems with any software I have downloaded from Major Geeks.
Many of their links go straight to the App Developer.

Libre Vox is great for free Audio Books (so is Amazon)

Gutenberg for free regular ebooks

Do a google search (I use Duck Duck Go) for free ebooks for other sites.

Cyndi posts free Amazon books here on the forum often too (free books thread)

I have around 250 books on my Kindle app and maybe a hundred or more on a flash drive , all free. Libre Vox also has an option for MP3 versions you can put on an MP3 player or even play in some automobile CD players if you burn the files to a CD.

I use Aldiko and Kindle apps.

Aldiko is hooked into several free online resources. One place to find and download free books is Smashwords. They also have digital books to buy, just like Amazon and the Kindle app. One thing I like about Smashwords is finding indie authors/books that major publication houses ignore. Sure you have to wade through some badly written, formatted or edited books to find some gems, but there are definitely some really good indie books out there.

"fyi, Kindle eReaders (not Kindle Fire) use eInk screens instead of LCD, and the difference is huge both for eye strain and ability to read in direct sunlight. As someone said, the base versions are so cheap these days... "

So, which is better?