Entertainment

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owl

Reaction score
When I'm on the road I find that the ways I entertain myself are quite different than when I winter in Az. In the winter when I'm stationary I read watch a bit of tv and go online a lot. Netflix almost every night. Summers it's like I'm a different person. I read, often a book a day. Radio is a big go to after dark. I wonder what are your habits? Please clarify if you are stationary or mobile. I think sharing this would be helpful to folks whether on the road or contemplating this life.

When I start full-time van life I'll be mostly stationary in the same town. Yeah I plan to do a little reading as well, go online, watch a bit of Netflix now and again, but the majority of my spare time will be dedicated to outdoor activities like fishing, snorkle diving, crab trapping and anything else I can think of.

owl said:
... I think sharing this would be helpful to folks whether on the road or contemplating this life...
I like how you asked the question. Indeed, finding worthwhile activities that lend themselves to one's camping style is the crucial issue in this lifestyle. I wish more people would discuss this topic, and there would be less rig fetishism.

One has to put real effort into avoiding time-wasters like TV, netflix, and web surfing. But it is so easy to get sucked into that trap.

If it weren't for my dog and mountain bike, I would probably abandon this lifestyle.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
...less rig fetishism.

One has to put real effort into avoiding time-wasters
Very well said kaBLOOnie! :)

I've given up my data plan, for now, partly to save money, partly because it limited my choice of potential campsites, and partly because it was a time suck.

Granted/ironically, my #1 "hobby" is my life's work: programming internet anti-abuse tools. :)
Recently realized I'd completed my first ten thousand lines of Code created 100% in my van, which felt awesome. :)
That easily fills my day, regardless of season, but I'm still a Newbie to full-timing, so will see what seasonal changes bring.

Last summer, I did decide to buy a portable DVD player, so I can choose to watch just from my finite existing DVD collection.
When it's too hot to work, I have something to do.
A lot of Newcomers fail because they don't think thru what they'll do, and fail to plan for any entertainment.
I also am now set up for Library ebooks, which works perfectly with my "style", and it's free.

My only semi-traditional hobby is birdwatching. A van makes an awesome wildlife viewing blind. :)
Owl: A week ago, at about 9pm (twilight), a small owl caught a mouse about half a van's length from my main window.
It was spectacular! :)
My site for the last two weeks has been otherwise poor for birds, but great for butterflies.

It was spectacular! 
smile.gif
  Love it, I know exactly what you mean!  Boonster, you are so right about getting sucked into traps. I think that goes for all kinds of things. Because we voluntarily limit our space doesn't mean we put limits on our lives.

This kind of answers a question I've had for you full-timers. "What do you do all day?"

I am mobile and move from city to city.

Three or four days a week, I spend the whole day (especially if it is raining) in a mall or library where I can get wifi and do my work. (I work online.)

The other three or four days a week I spend sightseeing the local area.

At night, I usually read an ebook, or watch local TV (I have a USB TV antenna and tuner, mostly to get the local news/weather and PBS). I also download documentaries on YouTube and watch them offline at night.

I never lack for things to do. I have found that wherever I am, there's always interesting things to visit nearby.

I guess if you have the attitude that there's nothing to do, you're doing it wrong.

I like my phone games. Im into about 4 of them from simple card games to long, big multiplayer ones.

Youtube, netflix, HBO

fixing up camper. Currently making air holes and wiring 12v fan to a switch ran off generator 12v out in my hitch box. I can run generator already inside box with a welded exhaust pipe ran outside but it gets a bit too hot after 15 minutes.

Next project is rigging my backup water pump, a $20 bayite, to make an inside shower with an on/off switch and a large rectangular plastic bin as a water catch.

I like to target practice with my BB gun, shoot photos, research camps, cook up meals for travel days, forage wild plants, make youtube videos, hike with the doggie, fishing, wrench on the van, learn to relax and decompress, count your blessings sitting in beautiful weather.

What do you do with your days now? Why does it have to change? Everybody is different and enjoy different things. Some like to hang out in the city while others may want to get as far away from civilization as possible.

I'm stationary, but I'm more of a thinking person than man of action anymore. I don't feel bad, or better or worse, about enjoying myself watching Netflix, reading, playing a game, walking the dog, talking to people, learning something that maybe nobody else cares about. Heck, I try to learn something new every day just to keep my brain alive and my spirit curious. One person or another is going to think any or all of those things might be a total waste of time, and that's okay by me. Maybe he's right? For him. Or even some large number of people. But they're not me, and I feel the same way about other things some people like. It's okay if people like different things. I don't have much of a hierarchy of virtue in that regard.

I still love nature. Love my dog. Love growing things -- microgreens lately, sprouts and regular gardening before. Love cooking. But if one day is physical, another intellectual, another creative or spiritual, I don't put one above the other. There is room for every kind of living, and as long as you aren't hurting people, find your own happiness day by day, I say.

The reason I go camping in my my TT (usually to State Parks) is to get away from all the pressing projects that I need to finish at home on the farm (they can wait for a bit). I tend to be a workaholic once I am home, and usually carry a list of things I would like to get accomplished in the near future.

I can't just lounge around, and am always busy doing something.Laziness is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

As far as entertainment, I like to play cards, be in the pool, go to sporting events like football, racing, festivals.

owl said:
It was spectacular! 
smile.gif
  Love it, I know exactly what you mean!

Figured you'd enjoy hearing about that, more than hearing about the awesome butterflies & mosquito-chomping dragonflies. :)
Other than warblers, I'm rarely using my binoculars. Nature's right beside me. :)

Dingfelder:
Sprouting is high on my list of stuff to try. Mostly for the nutrition & potential cost saving.
Feel free to share your insights about it.

I notice a number of you experienced folks give generously of your time, helping newbies.
We do appreciate that "hobby"! :)

Elbear1 said:
Next project is rigging my backup water pump, a $20 bayite, to make an inside shower with an on/off switch

Bayite…..looks like a good choice. I put it on my want list.....thanks.

I make things to sell. I am an artist, I create my own original work that is somewhat complex to do so that pretty much means I am never lacking for something to do with my time.

I love to read, always have and nowadays because of a vision issue I download Ebooks onto a tablet from the libraries. In the summertime the free on the air TV shows are either reruns or lame ones I don't want to spend time watching.

I am a curious person so a lot of what I do on the internet is research or following up on something interesting I read. I am often looking at article on how to make various things and use various tools. Or I might be looking at some of the various blogs I follow. Sometimes I will search out a movie to watch or a show of some type.

I do some internet research projects looking for information or materials for my friend. I am on his cell phone plan and doing that work for him gets paid for in compensation on my phone bill. Lately he has been doing downsizing so I have spent a lot of time coming up with the current used item and original prices so he knows what to ask for the things he is selling.

When I am traveling I like to see some of the historic sites, visit some museums, tour some galleries or studios, enjoy seeing what the small town structures look like. A lot of times there is some local cultural activity going on perhaps involving music or crafts or renenactments or outdoor theater. Sometimes I just play "tourist with a camera".

I also put in time helping people in forums who don't know how to do stuff or make stuff or know what tools are required for a job. I guess you could call it a "hobby" but doing tutoring and advising is something I have always done all of my life even as a young child helping other class mates who did not catch on as quickly.

Last week's coolest wildlife "encounter" was a dragonfly (probably a "Common Whitetail") who decided he liked resting on the top of my spare tire, about one arm length from where I sit & work all day. :)
I had prolonged close up views of him, most afternoons for a couple of hours. Fascinating creatures... and they eat mosquitoes. :)

That's one of the things I was hoping for in this lifestyle:
wildlife that comes to me, and doesn't bother me. :)

I also regularly see truly wild hummingbirds. There's no sugar feeders nearby, and they're exclusively sipping wildflowers. :)

Wildlife viewing is completely free, with zero commercials, so a partial substitute for TV. :)

P.S. Though to be balanced... also had my first night time (~2am) large mammal rocking the van.
He/she moved along after I rocked back and sternly told him/her to go.
Pretty sure it was just a deer, but it definitely "bothered" me.

Kaylee said:
Dingfelder:
Sprouting is high on my list of stuff to try. Mostly for the nutrition & potential cost saving.
Feel free to share your insights about it.

Tell me what you're looking for and how.  It's such a wide world.

Mostly I am into microgreens now and don't think I will ever go back to sprouts again. Both can be done in a tiny space, or, if you can leverage your space out into the world (and hope the birds don't poop on it? or protect it from that?), microgreens can build out your food prospects into as much space as the world will let you have.

For now, I am growing sunflower, pea, radish, amaranth, and basil.  I am especially thrilled that pea can be coaxed into a third or even fourth cutting and still keep sending up shoots.

I grow in soil, though -- water is more a one and done ... kind of a false economy IMO.

I spend a lot of time at the courthouse law library. I also like to sit in on court proceedings.
There's a library in my home town that is amazing.
It has a huge park to walk through. Benches all around. There's a golf course and bar. Ice skating rink. And more. It's a beautiful place in the woods.

I also like to go to the county park. They have seminars for free. Things like bird watching, edible plant and bug tours, there's a lot of neat things there.

All this stuff is free which is awesome.

stationary I slug out.

when out and about I move all the time. Do what I love to do cause it is in a different location.

stationary at home I lost the zest to do what I would do in new locations. I sit home thinking if only I could get the hell out of here now!

I need help :)

I need full time on the road and let this other life go bye bye and ditch it all and follow the roaming path.

getting closer....kid in 4 yrs college bound and then we will sell it all and 'handle' her situation and put us in there best we can and make it all work and gain freedom.

like buying her a townhouse etc near college as 'our home base' also if she needs us etc and somewhere to land for her when required but as she does her thing in college we can hit the road. time, all I need is a bit more time to get this all working well for us :)

Some nomads feel like they have to be moving on the road many of their waking hours. That is nice if you have the money or like some support doing that with a youtube channel. "itchy feet", "ants in their pants", "always on the go", "born to ride", "roaming man", "gypsy girl", there are many descriptions for that type of personality.