Entering and Exiting a Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuManchu

Reaction score
Seems like a minor topic but depending upon the kind of van you have, how do you go about entering and exiting your vehicle while in stealth mode? Let's say you're parked in Walmart or some other place where people can see you and you don't want it to be obvious you're staying in the van.

I've been thrust into van dwelling overnight (which maybe I'll post about in another thread) and enter/exit hasn't been an issue yet because of where I'm parking (my place of business in an industrial park) and because it was the weekend, but this morning with more people around I could see where any other tenants who come in early might see me coming out of the van. I have a Dodge Ram with full windows all around (tinted). If I open the back or side door, you'd see the sleeping bag and blankets laid out on the floor. I'm thinking if I slide up into the driver seat and sit there a few minutes like I'm on the cell phone, then exit the driver door, it might be less obvious. Curious to hear what others think.

Incidentally, I could sleep inside the shop (I sublet and the guy I rent from said I should do that instead of sleeping in the van) but I think I prefer the feeling of being in the van, in a sleeping bag and wrapped up in several wool blankets (it got down to the 40's last night but I wasn't cold). Just more cozy.

Yes, getting out of the drivers door would be much less obvious.

Drivers door FTW all day long... take a call, just stare at your phone in your hand, and when no one is really looking then leave (because someone is ALWAYS looking) and just act all nonchalant

as ( ; most ; ) others have shared, the driver's door is typically usual practice.

During the ~18 months I lived in a cube van I really had no choice in the matter!

Thom