Enjoying new life in a Chevy Volt

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeW

Reaction score
I finally took the plunge and moved into my Voltebago (Chevy Volt) about 2 weeks ago.  And I thoroughly enjoy it.  I'm very stealth in the city during the week, and stretch out at the beach or mountains on the weekends.  I still have my job and blend in well without much notice, thanks to many tips from this website.  

The Chevy Volt is a great option.  Very stealth with curtains all around.  I keep the windows up and run ventilation via the electric motor all night- no noticeable noise.  The windows don't fog up overnight even with wet clothing inside.  I can also run the AC or heater all night on the electric motor.  Can charge the car every day for free, from a charger at a parking lot near my workplace.  I've found it important to be very minimal with living in a car, which is a challenge I enjoy.  Far from a cheap option, but I already owned the Volt before deciding to roam, so it works well.  It's basically a mobile sleeping pod- wherever I go becomes my living room.

Great to know, thanks for the report.

Hopefully ones with more living space will be commonplace one day, the heat / aircon issues combined with stealth is a huge challenge with conventional vehicles.

Oh that's so smart. I'd never thought about what it would be like to have all that 12v available without running the gas engine. Kind of like having solar at night. Great idea! Thanks for the tip.

Johnny

It's a hybrid, gas-powered generator kicks in as soon as the batts get depleted.

But they are quiet

John61CT said:
It's a hybrid, gas-powered generator kicks in as soon as the batts get depleted.

But they are quiet

So far, I have been able to get by each night with only battery power.  I lose about 8 miles of range if running the vents only, and 30-35 miles of range if running the AC.  I get 10-20 miles back per hour on the charger.  I just turn the engine off and open the windows if in the mountains.

If one of the automakers can put these hybrid drive-trains in a mini or full size van, (and priced reasonably) we would have a winner!

Actually GM did put a hybrid drivetrain in their pickups for awhile. Frankenstein transplant into a van anyone?
Saw someone online pulling the drivetrain from a wrecked one for off-grid use.

YES! So cool to see another Volt camper. I just logged on to post my Volt camper car progress. Very cool!

And, as the Prius campers know, be sure and look into a pure sine wave inverter. If you get a 15-2000 watt one you could use a microwave, induction cooker, hot logic mini cooker, (separately), tv, fans,radios .....

After removing seat bottom is a board used to level the rear sleeping area?