engine cooking

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darude

Reaction score
just curious has anyone ever bought something and tried cooking it on the engine :huh:

Just curious...  Why would I want to cook on my engine?   :huh:
In a Chevy G20 Van it would not be easy to get to the necessary place to cook...much less make grilled cheese sandwiches and soup... :D

Sameer said:
Just curious...  Why would I want to cook on my engine?   :huh:
In a Chevy G20 Van it would not be easy to get to the necessary place to cook...much less make grilled cheese sandwiches and soup... :D
I don't I just heard of people doing it is all. though Iv'e also heard that the food doesn't taste that great afterwards :D

I grew up on stories of my dad and his buddies cooking on their engines when they were stationed in Alaska and went out on hunting trips. Wrap your food (usually meat and potatoes) in heavy foil and put it on the manifold... much easier in the 1950's than it would be today.

Queen said:
I grew up on stories of my dad and his buddies cooking on their engines when they were stationed in Alaska and went out on hunting trips.  Wrap your food (usually meat and potatoes) in heavy foil and put it on the manifold... much easier in the 1950's than it would be today.

Ya, I dare you to find a hot engine part that can be reached with the hood open today. Heck I can't even see air in mine and three things have to be disassembled to even change the air filter.... :rolleyes:

well I can answer the why. because about 75% of the fuel you burn in a gasoline engine is wasted as heat. so why not make use of it. highdesertranger

Have not tried this myself always wanted to think its a great way to save time cooking in camp if your driving most of the day...

I just posted a link the other day for a cooker that mounts to your manifold on another thread. highdesertranger

Jam can o Spam onto exhaust manifold.
Drive hard and hot until loud 'pop'.
Scrape smeet from hood and engine...spread on bread or crackers.
Yum, Yum!
:dodgy:

i would have no problem baking potatos this way,like hdr said,waist not want not

Almost There said:
Ya, I dare you to find a hot engine part that can be reached with the hood open today. Heck I can't even see air in mine and three things have to be disassembled to even change the air filter.... :rolleyes:

Yup.  When I was a skinny teenager my dad would have me stand in the engine compartment of his pickup (early 60's Dodge with a slant 6) to help him hold something.  Now you lift the hood and it's a sea of plastic.

highdesertranger said:
I just posted a link the other day for a cooker that mounts to your manifold on another thread. highdesertranger
Back in the 70s, I used to see ads for those in the backs of all the magazines made for mechanically minded folks.

LOL I remember the Mythbusters where Jamie and Adam teamed up with Alton Brown to cook a complete multi-course thanksgiving dinner in the engine compartment & exhaust system of Jamie's convertible. Came out a success, except the gravy was way too thin since it was cooked in a closed container and couldn't reduce... so they had it as their soup instead and pronounced the experiment "Confirmed."

My brother and I used to heat unopened cans of soup in our engine compartments when we were younger. Generally it was done if we knew we'd be driving someplace far away, possible a cold place, and wanted a hot meal when we go there (Yosemite comes to mind). We'd put the cans under the hood before we left the Bay Area, and by the time we got there we had hot soup. :)

These were much older, carbureted vehicles, so we didn't put anything in there that might be contaminated by the smell of fuel, oil or coolant.

Even though I have a stove in my van, it's something I often think about doing if I know I'll be somewhere with limited services and don't feel like breaking out the gas and burner.