Engel 12v Refrigerator without solar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfunkt

Reaction score
I am going to buy an Engel refrigerator and I was wondering if solar is really necessary or can I just hook up a deep cycle battery and charge by alternator while driving?  How often would I have to run the engine to keep the battery charged?

Yes you can use a battery only. If you drive every day it will not be much of a problem. <br><br>The rest of your questions is very hard to give a right answer. Outside temps? How often opened? Temp of things put in? How big is battery(s)?&nbsp;&nbsp; more ???????<br><br>I suggest that you get a small one and do not put much in it. Buy frozen. Only open 1 time a day and insulate well.<br><br>Deep cycle battery as you will run it down.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

You can get away without solar but you will be replacing the battery much more often.<br><br>A &nbsp;compressor fridge &nbsp;in the 30 to 50 liter size range will use, on average, ~24 amp hours per day. &nbsp;Too many variables to narrow it down more than that. &nbsp;<br><br>Most people act like a short drive is enough to fully recharge a battery, but there are several limiting factors that make this belief overwhelmingly false.<br><br>Getting the battery back upto a true 100% weekly is important for its longevity and performance during its lifespan, and the alternator is not going to do this unless you are highway driving for 8+ hours. &nbsp;Best to have a 10 amp + battery charger and be able to plug it in overnight to shoehorn in every amp when the battery has seen a week of powering the fridge and just short trips.<br><br>Thicker cabling between alternator and secondary battery will help get the battery to 80% faster.<br>You don't want to regularly take the battery below 50%.<br><br>If the battery is at 50%, with thick cabling and a healthy alternator, driving for an hour might return it to the &nbsp;75% to 80% mark, but no more, and likely less.<br><br>The alternator's &nbsp;ampere rating has little to do with how fast the battery recharges. &nbsp;The battery decides how much it can take at the voltage allowed by the vehicle's voltage regulator, which was designed to safely keep a marginally depleted starting battery from depleting any further, not recharge a depleted deep cycle battery tacked onto the circuit.

When I first got my engel I only had a one year old wet cell battery that I took from the ford explorer that was destroyed in an accident.&nbsp; I bought a battery charger and only needed to recharge that battery once every five days.&nbsp; Even after five days I had energy left in the battery to run the fridge.&nbsp; I am not sure of the size of my fridge, but it is the engel that opens like a normal fridge and runs on either 120 ac or 12v.&nbsp; I ran it like that for almost a year with no problem.&nbsp; I did finally put in a continuous duty solenoid and then solar and it is running fine.