Endeavor to perservere

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QinReno

Reaction score
If I get to RTR, I guess I'll have to start wearing my "Best Change Your Ways" headband. Darn.

Please don't. Un-interesting is already at an all-time high. Endeavor to persevere, Q!

Endeavor to perservere is a great line from the movie Outlaw Josey Wales. Do you know the history behind the book and author who wrote it? It is absolutely unbeleiveable. Asa Carter alias Bufford Carter was the author of the book it was baised on, a full blooded Cherokee that was at one time the head of the KKK in Alabama, he actually ran against George Wallace for governer in the primary but lost and became his speech writer and penned the infamous Segregation Now and Forever. He went to University of Colorado and being from the south as well as a Native American was interested in the relationship between the hold out Son's of the South ( Jessie James and his brothers, his cousin Cass Hite and his brothers ), Mormans and Navajos as they attempted to bring back to life the Confedercy in the southwest. Mason jars of 20 dollar gold pieces were buried to pay and finance agents in many locations some still being found today. Cass Hite became his center of focus but he knew he couldn't sell his historically correct story so he wrote a fiction very loosely based on that and created the book that after denying his identity on the Today show sold the rights to Hollywood and the hit movie was made. A few months later while visiting his son in Texas while eating dinner an argument insued over how to spend the money. He supposedly slipped hit his head on the table and died. His son suppositedly inherited the money and used it to futher the KKK in Texas. Some how the amazing story of Cass Hite got lost. I believe a few recent attempts at books have been made. But he was probably the most influential white man in the Navajo Nation. He was convicted of muder and pardoned by the governer of Utah and lived out his life in Ticaboo Canyon Which means "friend" in Navajo. You learn a lot of interesting things on the way to the RTR.

BF- What an amazing story! I can't wait to read more about it.

My husband use to say 'Endeavor to persevere.' Each time he was sharing a bit of wisdom, he would begin by saying, "My Pa use to say..." 

I never let on that I'd seen the movie and knew it was Chief Dan George who said it. I also like when CDG laments about how the Calvary arrested his horse and he was pulling a wagon up North - or something to that effect. Such wonderful writing!

1/2 - Is that a bag of nickels!  :D

We're gonna need a recipe for DO popcorn.

You betcha! It has been a long time since a fulfilling Golden story. I hope one is forthcoming, otherwise I might have to spend some of the purse on Taco's :p

HalfShadows said:
You betcha! It has been a long time since a fulfilling Golden story. I hope one is forthcoming, otherwise I might have to spend some of the purse on Taco's :p

Okay, here's one. I've been thinking about it a lot, lately - how when I wrote this little story, 20 years ago, I never imagined that one day I might be Leaving my home to actually live in Arizona. It's remarkable how your world turns in it's own time.

THE LIVES OF DINOSAURS

Daddy told Mama she would have to take the monkey back. He showed her a letter from Sinclair saying they would shut us down if business didn't pick up.  Mama reminded Daddy how she never wanted a gas station but that after Daddy told her how he'd prayed and all, she had given in.

Mama explained how the monkey had been left behind probably by some military family that was being transferred overseas. Mama suggested Daddy increase our Church of Christ tithe, back in New Orleans, as soon as possible. She said the monkey had made its own way into the churchyard and that's where she found it in a basket by the door. Mama couldn't recall the exact details due to all the extra excitement that day. Daddy shook his head from not knowing and then he gave in.

Daddy made Mama promise she would not teach her monkey tricks or dress it up in frilly diapers. Daddy warned Mama that it would be an abomination in the eyes of God if she was to give the monkey a human name. Daddy said he also wished Mama wouldn't teach her monkey to drink orange soda like the Indians did their bears up on the Reservation. Mama said she thought the Cherokee weren't left much choice and that Daddy shouldn't judge things without knowing.

Mama taught her monkey to pump gas. She would thread its tail through the handle of the assembly and then gently push it off the back of a car. Before too long the monkey was jumping off all by itself and people were driving out of their way to buy our gas.

Daddy complained that people made fun of him for having a monkey. Mama said they were jealous. She explained to Daddy that sometimes it took an outsider to fix things. Mama reminded Daddy about the mysterious ways of how things are sometimes.

One morning a 1961 Ford Country Sedan Wagon pulled into the station and took off with Mama's monkey. The driver didn't even wait for his Dino soap. I was inside getting one for him when I looked out the window in time to see Mama's  monkey slide its tail through the top of the back windshield. The monkey had wrapped its tail around the door handle. I thought the monkey might free itself but as it happened that year model of the Ford Country Sedan was made so the handle had to be turned in order for the glass to come down. Mama's monkey only ever knew how to pull; her monkey never ever did learn how to roll.

I brought a paper apron home the next day. It was for Mother's Day. The girls in our class had glued flowery paper towels together with ribbon. The idea was to tear off each layer towel as it got dirty. The idea was to always have a clean apron on. I explained this to Mama as I tied the ribbon securely around her waist. Mama told me right then that she might like to live somewhere else for a while, if I wouldn't mind. Maybe Arizona. She promised to send postcards.

Mama held my hand as I ran alongside her car. She let go when we reached the highway. She tossed a photograph out onto the ground and then waved a slow keep-on-truckin' finger, as our car disappeared around the curve.

I picked up the photograph Mama had thrown away. The breeze had carried it onto the centerline. The photograph was of a young girl wearing swim fins. Her browned legs dangling over the hood of a car. 
She was smiling.

Liv, It is time for me to break out the dimes, this story earned you the whole bag of nickels.  :heart: it!

At one of the many training sites in my past, I would explore the region on my days off.  One day I decided to go catch some trout at Magic Mile. On the way to Magic Mile I passed through the town of Sinclair.  You could see it was once a thriving industrial town. It was a lonely little town with few inhabitants. I thought how the world does change. I was glad to see the town of Sinclair, it reminded me of the Gas stations I used to patronize with my family. The big draw was the Dinosaur.

HalfShadows said:
Liv, It is time for me to break out the dimes, this story earned you the whole bag of nickels.  :heart: it!

My parents had a Sinclair station outside Fayetteville, for a time. I loved it! Especially the Dino soaps.  

One day my mother brought home a monkey. Her name was Cindy. I was a little jealous. Cindy made it hard on me. She had impeccable table manners. My brother once joked that Cindy was the perfect kid because she never forgot to flush. We had a very interesting childhood. Our mother was absolutely amazing.

Glad you liked it. I better get back to pen and paper and stop goofing off. But it has been a lot of fun...

(wow, I just discovered that I started a new thread last night in my sleep!! Some dream).