emf radiation ( cell phones, wifi ) proofing a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake93

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post. 

I have emf sensitivity (cell phones, wifi, etc. ), does anyone know about or have experience in radiation proofing a van? I have heard from people that do this kind of work that it can be done , but would like to know if it worked for anyone. Here is a link to a review of INDEPENDENT studies proving the very bad health effects of emf's.  

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013935118300355

Welcome Jake to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I know nothing on the subject but if you have EMF sensitivity how can you be on the internet? or almost anywhere in the country for that matter? seriously I am curious.

highdesertranger

Good point, HDR....even vehicles radiate RF stuff these days, gonna be hard to get away from all of it unless you have zero electronics and travel in a horse-drawn wagon.

that "review" doesn't link to any article just some made up reports with no access in the western world. My metal van is like a Faraday Cage when it is well grounded. The tires seem to insulate the effect. So I need a ground strap, just a chain from the chassis to a wet spot on the ground. Then my phone, radio, internet, and strange phenomenon are non-functional.

Weight said:
My metal van is like a Faraday Cage when it is well grounded. The tires seem to insulate the effect. So I need a ground strap, just a chain from the chassis to a wet spot on the ground. Then my phone, radio, internet, and strange phenomenon are non-functional.
I was thinking the same thing, although never tried it.

Welcome Jake.

I don't think you can escape EMF radiation in the modern world. Everywhere you go, people have phones and wifi in their houses. Even the stores have free wifi. Cell signals from towers are almost everywhere. The only way I know would be a faraday cage with a double door so someone could bring food and water. The only way to make a van a faraday cage would be to put something like hardware cloth in every window and then ground the van and remove all electrical wiring penetrating the cage. You would also have to make that double door setup.

We had a control center that was a faraday cage. It had double doors where only one could be open at a time. All communication lines that penetrated the cage were fiber-optic. It had its' own generator inside too, something they called rotating drums IIRC. Plumbing was obviously grounded.

jake93 said:

I have emf sensitivity (cell phones, wifi, etc. ), does anyone know about or have experience in radiation proofing a van? I have heard from people that do this kind of work that it can be done , but would like to know if it worked for anyone. Here is a link to a review of INDEPENDENT studies proving the very bad health effects of emf's.  

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013935118300355

An RF engineer or someone in an EE department in a university should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Another option would be to move to Green Bank, West Virginia, which is a EMF free zone.

If you do not already have one you should get a RF meter (I just grabbed the first one listed):
https://www.amazon.com/Acoustimeter-Meter-Model-AM-10-Protection/dp/B00F5494K8?tag=askcomdelta-20
You can then find places that have minimal EMF in the frequencies that affect you.  Should be a lot of places in the west.

Everyday I wake and hope today is the day that a massive solar flare knocks out the grid... or that someone sets off an EMP that disables it all.

Every day!

Sofi burst my bubble informing me that the sun is at low activity..:(.. fortunately we still have North Korea.

Is there such a thing as a "partial" Faraday's Cage? A little blocky, a little leaky?

Sorry to find you are wrong. You have not seen my van. My van is a Faraday's Cage as long as the chain is on wet earth. Urine works best, but coffee works well.

How do you block signals through the windows? I can see the metal body reducing cell/wifi signals but not the glass. Your van is not a faraday cage no matter how much you profess that it is.

Jake93
I agree with what B and C has said. I used to work inside a Faraday cage designed by engineers at Motorola. I was doing experiments with high frequency oscillators and any outside RF would mess up my results. I needed a 'clean space'. It was impossible. It reduced it quite a bit but not completely.
It is absolutely impossible to avoid RF waves in the modern world. They also occur in nature. Quite frankly I think the data on health implications is grossly exaggerated. Even if man did not produce so much RF the earth is being bombarded by every section of the RF spectrum.
We are all being constantly blasted with all kinds of radiation.

jake93 said:

I have emf sensitivity (cell phones, wifi, etc. ), does anyone know about or have experience in radiation proofing a van? 
Jake, this would not help while driving, but when parked you could use metal sheets or tightly woven screens on your cargo-area windows.
Many cargo vans have a metal partition directly behind the front seats for security, but this is a fairly solid wall.
You could add some type of spike to your chain to give it better contact with the ground as well.
Your phone and radio could be kept on the dash, & would likely work in at least some spots.  
In a standard cargo van it would not be difficult to try this out. You don't need a theoretically perfect clean room to get a good improvement.

Your van is not a Faraday Cage. Mine is a Faraday Cage.

One post on the 26th and was only online for 16 minutes. Nothing since. I think we are beating a dead horse.

Someone needs to start a service where a person can send a letter via the post office and it gets posted to an internet forum, and all replies get sent back to the originator through the post office as letters. That way you can participate in the internet without getting all EMFd up.

Latest posts