Electronic key fobs used to steal vehicles?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I know about this. Today's FOBs are emitting a radio signal 24/7. That how the vehicle detects it and unlocks the door as you walk up. The car thieves of this caliber are organized and the vehicles are on their way to a shipping container on a ship within a day or two. They are using radio signal detectors. Previously, these were bulky and required the perp to follow the driver into a mall or wherever while a briefcase sized detector recorded your frequency. Today they are much more powerful. They now just drive around cars they want and their much more powerful detector can record your car FOB signal from inside your house. They will sit outside and collect the code, return to their shop, copy that code onto their own devices and return to take your car.
The device you want is a Tesla key fob protector. There are many available on Amazon for about $10. It is some kind of metallic pouch. Look on youtube for reviews. There are many. You should store you FOB in it at all times until you're ready to drive. The best ones won't allow your car to unlock as you walk up unless it's removed from the pouch. That's how you know it's working. Take a look on Amazon and look at reviews.

I watched the Cdn YT vid about the guy who had his Taco stolen, then looked at his recommended Faraday bag and a few others. Even the ones with thousands of reviews had 1 star ones that said the bag failed after a few weeks or months, allowing the fob's radio waves to pass through.

So one fix I read was to buy a tin of mints or such and use the tin to store the fob. Not as cool or hi-tech as a Faraday bag but it lasts.

It's been like a few years, sort of. My friend told me, only they block credit cards, as I understood

I have fob with buttons that unlocks the truck and a smart key with built in circuitry.  The key is what's required for the theft prevention system to allow me to start my truck and drive away.  I can say that with confidence because I bought a metal only key and tried to do just that and nothing happened.  The metal key will open doors and turn on everything, but the engine.
The key is passive, it has no battery, it doesn't actively transmit anything, but the truck does.  It interacts with signals coming from the truck.  Considering it only needs to work in the ignition lock the signal is low power and driven off the key circuit. My guess is someone would have to stand right next to me to get what ever secrets are hidden in that key.  To get into my truck they can walk around a crowded parking lot with a device that simulates a the fob.  This system would be driven buy a small computer and have a good sized battery to drive it.   It would be concealed in a backpack or a brief case or housed in a car.  It's only program would be to cycle through the permutations of the unlock code. When a vehicle automatically opens indoors they are in.  Once they are in they can burgle the vehicle, but to steal it they need to defeat the key system.  No vehicle is theft proof, but I am pretty confident with mine.    Just because that is how my truck works doesn't mean that is how all systems work.  It's in the manufacturers best interests to keep thing different.  

Shielding key from a key hacker all have one thing in common, enclosing the key in metal.  I prefer DIY low budget options over going to the devil's market place (amazon) and funding Bezo's next rocket trip.  Wrap the key in either aluminum foil or a bit metal cannibalized from a old can, etc.  I could allow paranoia and EDC posturing to justify carrying a Altoids tin holding my truck keys and fob.  In all honesty I don't see my truck being the target of such a serious thief so I'll take my chances with my keys on my hip.

One other thing I can do that costs absolutely no money is simply remove my main engine relay and put it in my pocket. Without it the engine will not run. The truck can still be taken, with a tow truck, but that's repoman level personal. No one wants my truck that bad.

Two things...

What's the main engine relay called in the fuse box?

What about these aftermarket auto security systems like VIPER... do they work well?

I don't know your vehicle.  Main engine, PCM, EFI, fuel pump, ignition, starter.     any of those are crucial relays.

Alarm systems are really good at letting people know you have a obnoxious alarm system, beyond that, nothing special.  If you are sleeping in your trailer and someone messes with your truck it will wake you up and so will a cat jumping on your hood.  I found locking a cable around the brake pedal and through the steering wheel such that any tension triggers the horn discourages amateurs.  A dog is the best alarm system.  The risk of being bitten is a serious deterrent.