A must- have for every nomad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tundrawolf

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a nice 20 foot DOlphin RV, and I was concerned about people breaking into it, and the alarm going off, and nobody really caring, or, worse yet, someone breaking in when I am on a little hike, or just too far away to know what's happening (Say in the woods).

So, I bought something I think every RVer (Van dweller, travel trailer, etc...) should have, the price has dropped almost $200 since I bought mine, but here it is: 

https://www.amazon.com/Viper-5706V-Security-Remote-System/dp/B00GT2GA6Q

(I don't make any money off of that)

It is a 2 way car alarm. What that means is that if someone is trying to break into your dwelling/vehicle and an alarm is triggered, it will not only sound an alarm, but it will send a signal up to a mile away, to your key fob, telling you what is happening. 

The screen tells you what kind of trigger it is, and with the Viper system, there are many additional sensors, such as self- calibrating tilt sensor if it is being towed, a glass break sensor microphone, in addition to the door and shock sensors built into the alarm receiver. You can even program several auxiliary responses, I think up to three, that can trigger a voice message being played back (With an external playback device) and can say "The cops are on their way!" "Back off!" or something, if you want, controlled from your key fob. 

So it is essentially like having someone come running in from up to a mile away, saying, "Someone is breaking into your RV!"

I REALLY think Bob should do a video on this, I think it would give us a lot of peace of mind. Plus, if you forgot to lock your doors, you can do it from up to a mile away! (Plus it has remote start!)

Tundrawolf said:
Hi guys,

I have a nice 20 foot DOlphin RV, and I was concerned about people breaking into it, and the alarm going off, and nobody really caring, or, worse yet, someone breaking in when I am on a little hike, or just too far away to know what's happening (Say in the woods).

So, I bought something I think every RVer (Van dweller, travel trailer, etc...) should have, the price has dropped almost $200 since I bought mine, but here it is: 

https://www.amazon.com/Viper-5706V-Security-Remote-System/dp/B00GT2GA6Q

(I don't make any money off of that)

It is a 2 way car alarm. What that means is that if someone is trying to break into your dwelling/vehicle and an 

I REALLY think Bob should do a video on this, 
I had those same issues. On another video on YT, a retired LEO/Detective wrote a long sensible post telling the lady van dweller she should get a good alarm, and get a Camera Surveillance system after she had a late night intrusion and was then living scared. I have the post saved. I took heed to his advice, and then I installed a 24/7 recording Camera Sys and Auto Alarm similar to the Viper. I now have peace of mind day & night.

Viper is a very good alarm system.  Lorex is the cam system, has FLIR night vision & records 1080p and audio up to a week if 1TB HD, 2-3 weeks on 2TB. 

It does give peace of mind so you can go on a walk, or sleep better. Few people of the shady category will hang around my van. They know they'd get recorded on camera messing around where they shouldn't be, so they avoid it. The cam system ~ $400, has a 2TB SATA HD which is hidden & wired & separated far from main Lorex chassis. I feel it was worth every penny. It also has an audible alarm during night if FLIR camera picks up movement of an intruder. That alarm will wake me up. There are a few settings of modes to personalize it and it has quick review mode.

IMHO, the cam system is as, if not more, important as it is having an alarm, the two go well together. I did buy the original Dodge FSM for my van for the wiring color code, made it easy to wire alarm system up myself. That is just my thoughts on both. 

I think you're wise for considering & then buying an alarm, for less to think or worry about. You've a lot of money & time invested in your RV/home and like your home, it pays to protect it.

If you haven't installed it yet, the antenna is likely a simple insulated stranded wire. In mine, it was not long enough to be really effective. I did extend the wire and it runs through the dash and all the way up the driver's side of my windshield now, rather than being way under the dash. I now have a much further reach and the signal is far more reliable to your remote. You do have to play with the wire length and trim until you get the furthest out signal. I used RV exterior clear silicone goop to fasten wire neatly to windshield, it works.

Your Viper system antenna style may be different. Hope this helps.

I also put a 7" hasp on side doors and the rear doors, using a U bolt rather than a padlock. Padlock would be good for while owner is out for the day. But for sleeping, the U bolt is quicker to remove if a speedy exit is needed.

and if we buy in the next 5 minutes, do we get the second one for free?