Electrical Placement: Any feedback?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trebor English said:
I think your electricity usage is likely to be less than what your solar panels will provide.  The 1:1 ratio really doesn't matter if you take more from the battery than you give the battery.  If your usage is low your hydrometer may tell you to do the alternator connection later and do other things sooner.

Thanks, this is helpful. Pardon my newbness again, but all I've really purchased to monitor capacity is an LED type voltmeter. What is a hydrometer used for and how can it be incorporated here? Is a voltmeter the totally wrong device to be using? Hydrometer vs voltmeter for checking capacity on the deep cycles?

John61CT said:
many averse to drilling the shell

need to protect against chafing, seal up around the wire (cable glands best)

don't want to disrupt interior insulation, paneling already in place

but otherwise yes no problem

Right sorry but to clarify.. this is more what I meant. My floor has insulation and subfloor and whatnot already in there, so wouldn't it make sense to try and sneak the 2awg-4awg run from the solenoid through somewhere near my pedals and run it along the interior? This would also allow me to utilize an on/off type switch no?

You can route the wires however you like, just make sure they are out of the way and protected, lots of amps flowing.