Electric radiator fan ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closeanuf

Reaction score
I have a 97 Dodge B3500 360 engine.  Has anyone removed the fan clutch, fan blade and radiator shroud and replaced them with an electric fan and shroud mounted to the radiator or am I opening a can of worms.  I want to be sure that I'm not going to cause heat buildup around the engine if I were to do this.  Also, I'm not sure if a temp switch would be adequate for turning it on and off.  I'm aware that vehicles that come this way from the factory are activated by the PCM and I'm not sure if that would be a factor.  Thanks

On the Dodge B van forums, many members did to the electrical fan swap and report, through placebo or otherwise, better power and MPG.

Some who did so also later report poor fan longevity, or performance issues with the activation of the fans or their wiring. Who really knows what failed or the cause.

I have stuck with the original set up, as I have had no issues with it, and I love electric fans and speed controllers and a finer control over such things, and would ordinarily be all over such a modification, but have steered clear of this particular modification.

electric fans are great and outperform belt driven fans in everyway, except one. dependability. I have used them but prefer belt driven. highdesertranger

another option to help with cooling is an engine oil cooler

I haven't bothered to go electric fan on my B-van. Instead I upgraded the radiator with an aluminium one, and made sure the fan clutch was working right.

I've installed electric fans on a past vehicle using a coolant temp sensor that clicked on at 195 degrees and clicked off at 180 through a 30amp relay along with a manual override switch on the dash just incase. I thought it was cool until the fan motor fried, (About a year) and I was in bumper to bumper traffic watching the engine temp go up and up.

You can also ditch the clutch fan and stick on a flex fan. ..Willy.