Electric heater on shore power

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tx2sturgis said:
I guess the failing is mine. I'm not arguing, rather, trying to help with the correct information. 

Yeah, that's also called making an argument.

I've attempted to explain that for electric resistance heating, 1500 watts is always 1500 watts, and about 5100 btu.

Or are you talking about the efficiency of moving the heated air around? Or subjective warmth of the occupants?

Or efficiency of cost? A $20 heater vs a $150 heater?

Anyway, on shore power, the existing heater may not do the job for the OP, so we just need to concentrate on that.

I don't think we ever did get the wattage of the little heater the OP is using, it may only be a 500 watt heater, which surely can be replaced with a higher wattage heater.   

Possibly a supplemental propane heater would be usable and help on really cold nights....

This hot plate at 828w just works better than the other space heaters I have at 1311w and 1175w.

You wouldn't know b/c you've never tried the electric hotplate, but just want to argue about the constant of wattage while claiming that you're not arguing = creating a 2nd argument that you're now engaging in  :D

And no doubt that propane is better, but if he's on shore power, then why shouldn't he look for a good electric heater? He certainly not restricted to a 500w heater (whether he has one of that wattage or not), which is highly uncommon b/c most of them are 1000-1500w.  Especially when I'm giving him the option of a $10 hot plate that works really well at only 828w and I'm mostly on shore power and using it for heat (w/the added bonus of cooking/boiling water at the same time).

I just saw you are in Kentucky our first winter was in the north eastern mountains of Kentucky using the motorhomes propane heater we had so much condensation and the walls were so cold my quilt froze to the wall on my bed! Good luck!

GrayWhale said:
Yeah, that's also called making an argument.

{snip}

You wouldn't know b/c you've never tried the electric hotplate, 

{snip}

...but if he's on shore power, then why shouldn't he look for a good electric heater? He certainly not restricted to a 500w heater (whether he has one of that wattage or not), which is highly uncommon b/c most of them are 1000-1500w.  

No, its called 'teaching'. That's the reason for us being here. Some people are asking questions, some are answering them.

If your hotplate works for you, then enjoy it. I never said anything about a hotplate. I was simply pointing out my opinions on one TYPE of heater vs another, safety, construction quality, etc.

And just for future reference, when I talk about stuff like this I DO know what I am talking about. Here's a hotplate which I've owned and used for YEARS:

2017-12-05 12.57.14.jpg

You want it?

I'll mail it to you and you can make all the heat you want. It still works!

As far as the OP and his need for a good heater, you and I are in 100% agreement...it's precisely what I have said several times. My opinion is that the quality oil filled heaters are a good heater, vs the glowing, cheap, stamped steel radiant space heaters. And, I have used those also.

Please, lets focus on the OP's need for an answer, rather than arguing with me or anyone else. Make your point, support it with facts or opinions, and the readers will take what they want from your information, the same as the rest of us.

If my information and knowledge seems completely wrong to you, well hey, I can live with that.

:p

Attachments

• 2017-12-05 12.57.14.jpg
    2017-12-05 12.57.14.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 8
Please limit this discussion to answering the question posed by the OP.

In future any and all off-topic or argumentative posts will be deleted in their entirely which could be unfortunate in that some otherwise valuable information could be removed as well.

Thank you

Nomadventurer

Ok we got the campground to move us to a real spot. Here's the setup:

-single RV power plug (15a?, 30a?)

-rv to standard adapter. This style: http://www.dmbruss.com/images/FullTimingLifeStyle/Adapters/30-15ampAdapter_image.jpg

-50ft. 12 gauge, 15a extension cord

-15a 3-way splitter

With this setup is it safe to run two 1500w electric heaters simultaneously as well as a power strip with a couple lamps and phone chargers?

the stinker said:
With this setup is it safe to run two 1500w electric heaters simultaneously as well as a power strip with a couple lamps and phone chargers?

1500 ÷ 120 = 12.5  A single heater will take 12.5 amps.  Two will take 25 amps.  In regular house wiring 12 gauge wires are protected by 20 amp breakers.  The RV pedestal has a 30 amp breaker.  You are proposing a 30 amp breaker, 15 amp plugs and sockets, 20 amp wire and a 25+ amp load.  This is not likely to burst into flames right away but the plugs/sockets are likely to fail first.  If there is a short circuit the wire should do ok tripping the 30 amp breaker if the plugs and sockets hold.

If your 1500 watt heaters have 2 or 3 power settings you can set one on high and the other on low.  Instead of just a plain "dog bone" adapter something with a 20 amp breaker would be a big improvement.  

A good way to do this would be to get a 30 amp cable with appropriate breakers and sockets.  Then 25+ amps would be a full load with no breaker tripping or overloaded components.  Otherwise you are putting 30 pounds of electricity in a 15 pound bag.

Absolutely do NOT use a 50 amp dog bone connected to a 30 amp dog bone connected to a 12 gauge extension cord.  A 20 amp breaker at the pedestal end of the extension cord will make it ok.

I appreciate your help, but I'm not an electrician and the only other time I've ever stayed in an RV park was beet harvest.  That is to say, I don't know what a dog bone is and I kind if need the answer in plain English.  So would it be safe to run while I'm away if I leave one heater on low?  

My dog is in the bus all night while I'm at work so if s breaker throws she'll freezer and if it's unsafe she'll burn down with the bus. Both of which are obviously unacceptable, but I'm sorry, I didn't go to college and I went to grade school in Alabama.  So when you start talking electrical math it all just goes right over my head...

The adapter you linked to is commonly called a dog bone.  It has a lump on each end and looks like a bone that a dog would chew on.  

Plain English:  
One heater plus cell phone charger and light is ok.  Two heaters, no.  Heater should not plug into an outlet strip.  

Protect plugs from water.

One adapter only.  If you need another adapter to connect the adapter you have, seek advice.

You need a Y adapter to make full use of that 30 amp RV pedestal plug. 

One of these should work, or maybe you can find it locally at an RV store:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WBD5N...oO&pd_rd_r=Y5SJ48TXES9SSM9QF0TD&pd_rd_w=PK0Xp

You will also need a total of two extension cords. 

This way you can plug your 1500 watt heater in one side, and the other heater, if you buy one, in the other side.

You could run the cords to opposite ends of the bus and have a more even heat distribution.

And just because you are presented with a 30A port, does not mean that amount of actual power is available to you.

A mix of different sized (watts) heaters will help you get the most out of what is available.

Do not skimp on robust high-current rated multi-plug adapters and (short) extension cords, can cost lots more than the heaters.

Create a small insulated cubby space, with large container of near-boil temp water in the center covered in a blanket.

I know you do not like electric math, but a little plus and minus math might still be wise to know.

When using anything with a standard 15A plug on it, no more than 1875W should end up be connected through that plug.

This is for instance why you need the Y-splitter, and two extension cords, in order to run two 1500W heaters.

Whenever you use, for instance, a '15a 3-way splitter' the combined watt of the two or three things being plugged in to that 3-way splitter should not add up to more than 1875W total.

And running 1875W through a 3-way splitter might still be pushing it, as not all 3-way splitters are built equally well.

John61CT said:
And just because you are presented with a 30A port,  does not mean that amount of actual power is available to you.

Well if there is a pair of 15 amp breakers, or one 30 amp double pole breaker, at the pedestal, lets assume that all the dilithium crystals are online. 

:p

I've been at older marinas and campsites where things turn out to not be wired as they should, pole down at the end of the row not able to handle as much as the closer ones.

And even modern sites where the overall infrastructure was not be capable of handling peak times, too many aircons going at once.

So just saying, better to not assume; test and have some flexibility for plan B.

Well sure, things can go wrong, we all know that.

Assuming the pedestal looks to be in good shape, no scorched or burnt sockets, rusty looking breakers, etc, then THE way to test it, is, actually, to plug in the heaters.

If a breaker blows then cut back on the heat settings on one of the heaters.

Pretty simple.

Lots of heaters are controlled via on/off.

True dialed-in variable output would be worth looking for in that scenario.

Many of these little heaters have a high-low setting, often 1000 watts on low, 1500 on high.

Sometimes, it's split this way: 750 low, 1500 high.

I have one that's 600 on low, 900 on medium, and then 1500 on high. (600 plus 900)

Another small one I have is 400 low, 800 high. 

It's always a math equation. 

BTW, if that RV power pedestal has a 50 amp plug, (4 pins) you can get a LOT of heat from a 240 v heater. But I doubt the OP will need that.

Thanks guys you've been a huge help. I'm about to go buy one if those splitters and another heavy cord. I already have two heaters ( three actually, all with multiple settings) so then I should be good to go.

Btw, it's not that don't like math. I just don't know much about it.

I am in one of those"real old" RV parks.  The power pedestal is just a plug on a 4x4 stump. Not even sure where the breaker is...