El Nino, Topo Maps, and A Couple of Friends

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corky52

Reaction score
With the approach of El Nino a couple of things need to be mentioned, floods happen everywhere and nothing replaces AWARENESS!

Cities can fool you, checking the topography you're in is even more necessary than usual.

Having friends close by to make sure you're warned and who you can warned if things start to go south.

Corky

corky if you are going to be at the RTR, I will show you the best topo program for your computer. highdesertranger

HDR,
I have quite a few, De Lorme is my favorite.  Best free one is the topo on gpsfiledepot.com for the Garmin and it's computer software, converted from USGS Digital Topo Map.  I kind of accumulate maps, just another of my bad habits.

I keep a tablet and lots of maps in the built in Faraday cage in my rig.

Corky

On 2/5/15 I was camped in the rolling aluminum tent near Punta Gorda Florida.

A cold front came thru with 40 mph winds and I thought I was in a boat and not one leak could be found.

It rained 2.48" that day. The next day the sun came out and the hight temp hit 71F and before noontime you could not tell from the ground it had rained 2.48" the day before due to the perking ability of the calcareous sand based soil.

corky52 said:
HDR,
I have quite a few, De Lorme is my favorite.  Best free one is the topo on gpsfiledepot.com for the Garmin and it's computer software, converted from USGS Digital Topo Map.  I kind of accumulate maps, just another of my bad habits.

I keep a tablet and lots of maps in the built in Faraday cage in my rig.

Corky

Nice to have a Faraday cage in the rig.  When the EMP kills the rig, you can pull out the computer and see where you could have gone had your rig not died from the EMP.   :p

correct me if I am wrong, but isn't your vehicle basically a Faraday cage. this is why your vehicle is fairly safe in an electrical storm. highdesertranger

That 1953 Chevy brings me memories back.  My parents had a 54. The body style changed in 1955.

HDR,
My rig isn't metal, it's fiberglass, no shield at all!

1982 FORD, three pieces of electronics on 460 engine will need replacement, have spares for all of them in the cage!  Running again in about an hour! :D

Corky

Latest posts