Ehrenburg Rangers to enforce 14 day camping limit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NoMadYesHappy said:
 The peacocks used to wake us up in the morning, hopping from roof to roof 

Hah, I get woken up a lot in the morning because the birdies see the reflections from my solar panel and think it's water, and when they come down to try to get a drink I hear them clacking all over my roof.  ;)

DLTooley said:
It is crucial to take a less controlling perspective on the land we occupy.  Basically, it is more of a native attitude - a definite stewardship, but not out right European style 'ownership'.  It is still territorial, but less so,  I think stewardship of the public asset is the way to go.

"No one can own a mountain, anymore than they can own a piece of the ocean or the sky. You hold it in trust. You get born on it, make your make a living off it, and when you die you rest in it." From the tv show The Waltons.

We all should be stewards of the land. Camp lightly on it, don't harass wildlife, don't harm the plants and trees, and when we leave, we leave it better than we found it.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]They paved paradise and put up a parkin' lot[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]With a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swingin' hot spot[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Don't it always seem to go[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]That you don't know what you got till it's gone[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]They paved paradise and put up a parkin' lot[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]                                                   - Joni Mitchell[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]They been singing the same song for almost 50 years.  The voices singing about the problem and the year have changed but not the problem.  Until the children are taught to respect and cherish the land so that they grow into adult stewards the problem will remain.  We will need rangers with their rules in all the public lands to protect them - from people.  [/font]

If anyone wants to temporary relocate and doesn't know where to go: one good option for another good BLM area would be on Shea Road near Parker, AZ (about 60 miles north of Ehrenberg):

34°07'42.9"N 114°09'57.5"W
34.128583, -114.165971

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ehr...5c404!2m2!1d-114.5252322!2d33.6041914!1m0!3e0

This is where the last Van Build Event ended up and nearby Parker also has all the amenities you might need.

lenny flank said:
I get a quite different reaction when I tell people "I travel around the country in my campervan" than I do when I tell them "I live in my van".

Yup.

C-Cat said:
If anyone wants to temporary relocate and doesn't know where to go: one good option for another good BLM area would be on Shea Road near Parker, AZ (about 60 miles north of Ehrenberg):...

There are also dispersed camping areas a few miles south of Lake Havasu City. Look for the RVs on the east side of the highway.

Also, the BLM area southwest of Bouse, off Plomosa Rd. over the hills from Quartzsite, is in a different ranger district than Quartzsite. You could be there before RTR.

Gotsmart and I are in the La Posa South LTVA. Water and a dump station and bathrooms are a big plus - we were paying for water and dumping and paying this small price to camp here so close to Quartzsite and activities was too good to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waldenbound said:
We all should be stewards of the land. Camp lightly on it, don't harass wildlife, don't harm the plants and trees, and when we leave, we leave it better than we found it.
The problem comes when different  (elected) people come up with the definition of "better" ...

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
The problem comes when different  (elected) people come up with the definition of "better" ...

Worse--the problem comes when the people who elect them have different definitions of "better".

If anyone is looking for a place to camp not far from Quartzsite in a place that will not affect your BLM 14 day status, I recommend Crystal Hill, which is about 15 miles from Quartzsite.

Crystal Hill is a former National Fish and Wildlife Service campground for rock collectors, however I believe the crystals have been picked pretty clean. The campground has been decommissioned, but there are still about 100 sites where you can drive in and camp. There are some trees for a little privacy. The down side is that there is about 5 miles of rough gravel road to get in, so if you go, take enough supplies to stay for a while, you will not want to drive the road every day. Any vehicle can make it in but you may want to drive slow due to washboard. There are some nice hills in the area which are fun to hike on. Keep your eyes open and you might find a crystal or two.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...2!3m1!1s0x80d3fe424a800429:0x72e727638bc5a392

Rules for camping are 14 days per year in the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge. This is dispersed camping, even though it is set up like a campground. There are no services and no water. Camping time in Kofa does not count toward your time limits on BLM land.

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Kofa/activities/camping.html

This is Crystal Hill campground:
az_crystalhill-campingarea_fromabove-800x600.jpg

Does anyone know if AT&T is working at Crystal Hill? LTE? What about other providers?

ARIZONA Total federal land acreage: 30,741,287 acres = 30.74 MILLION acres Federal land percentage of state: 42.3%

squid said:
ARIZONA    Total federal land acreage: 30,741,287   acres = 30.74 MILLION acres  Federal land percentage of state: 42.3%

That's because Arizona is mostly empty--it has a population density of only 45 people per square mile.

Same for the Dakotas, Montana, New Mexico, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas........