Ehrenburg AZ - Camping limit.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travelbuzz

Reaction score
.. I understand as of January 2018 that the BLM Ehrenburg, AZ rangers where enforcing the 14 day limit because of the vast amount of people using this area. Can anyone give an up date on this? I am planning to camp in this area from January 21st till mid March. Thank you.

BLM limit for there is 14 days (enforced or not). Please follow the spirit and letter of the law. You can move down toward Yuma and up to Parker. You only have to move 25 miles. Breaking the law just makes it harder on the rest of us. Kinda like the trash cleanup going on there.

Hi Travelbuzz! Can you please provide your source or a link? Thnx!

Well thank you for all of this information and I would direct it to this person in the video who is showing people how to get to his camp site for extended days. His name is Robert Wells: 

Well that was the case at the time probably. Things change when it becomes high profile.

I was informed that he had sent out another video that the extended stay is no longer.

the "extended stay" never was in the first place. the BLM cant be every where all the time. when they (the blm) became aware of the blatant violations they began enforcing it. now they have their eye on that area, and will probably keep enforcing it, at least untill it is no longer a popular area. if that ever happens.

just because yo can get away with something doesnt make it right. plenty of ways to move around and not have to travel far to be with in the rules.

Bob Wells has the rangers voice on a video telling him that there is an " extended stay ".... ..

Wabbit said:
Hi Travelbuzz! Can you please provide your source or a link? Thnx!
Source:  His name is Robert Wells: 
Here is another video from December 2017 that will lead you to a ranger with his voice speaking about an "Extended Stay"....A more recent video:

Travelbuzz said:
Bob Wells has the rangers voice on a video telling him that there is an " extended stay ".... ..

what are you getting at? yes bob taleked with a blm ranger on a previous video that may have been removed. in that video the ranger said the blm was not actively enforcing the 14 day limit. first off that was then. the video you linked was well after that. the video you linked was from this time last year when blm started enforcing the 14 day rule. trust me when i tell you that just because 1 single ranger says "they" are not enforcing the rule is no guarantee it will always be like that. once bobs video got the word out and that area started to see more users exceeding the 14 day limit, then blm decided to actively enforce the rule. for all we know the ranger that told bob they were not enforcing may have been reprimanded or even fired for making an inappropriate public statement.

can you imagine what would happen to a cop that got quoted on video saying they were not enforcing petty theft at the drug store on the corner? people make mistakes, even when they are being honest and stating the truth about what is going on.

so you are barking up the wrong tree, there is no extended stay on BLM, unless you pay to go into the LTVA spots. last year those were around $180 for the season which was about 6-7 months in the cool seaon. i think for the one time fee you can move from 1 LTVA to another or go in and out when you want. but outside of that or getting some sort of special use permit (good luck with that) there are no "extended stays" on any BLM land. now i am sure if you far enough off the beaten path you can find areas where you can go months without seeing a ranger, and then when you do see one they may not care, but dont count on it. and with what happened in Ehrenberg i would bet if someone else finds a sweet spot where they are not getting kicked out, they wont be sharing it with the world

you your self posted a link to the video where bob let everyone know the BLM was enforcing the rules and the free ride was over. what are you getting at to keep asking. follow the regs and enjoy your public lands

I've posted this many times if you are in an area and would like to stay get a seasonal job that comes with a place to stay in that area or see the authority that controls the area and volunteer, it really is pretty easy if you really want to stay. Most government agencies are encouraged to promote volunteering.

HalfShadows said:
Well that was the case at the time probably. Things change when it becomes high profile.

yep, another good campsite spoiled by disclosing it to the masses.  I'm with HDR on never releasing good boondocking sites on the internet.

Van dwelling would be a lot easier if youtube demonitized all accounts.

"Van dwelling would be a lot easier if youtube demonitized all accounts. "

ah the good ole days

highdesertranger

66788 said:
yep, another good campsite spoiled by disclosing it to the masses.  I'm with HDR on never releasing good boondocking sites on the internet.

Van dwelling would be a lot easier if youtube demonitized all accounts.

Yeah, the Rangers don't bother to enforce the stay limit because there are only a few people there and they are being neat and clean and cause no trouble. Then, those campers blab about it, and an entirely different horde of campers descend on the place. Next thing you know, the Rangers are out getting rid of everyone. If you find a good place where you are tolerated long term, keep quiet about it.

HalfShadows said:

And why did it become high profile?
Wait, wait...   don't tell me!

The limits were always there. People just ignored the limits. It finally got noticed and is now enforced. Cry me a river.

Stayed in Ehrenburg once back in 2011. To get away from the trashed trailers and the criminals you had to go up on the mesa where the wind blows hard and cold. The views are not that nice and supplies are a drive away in Parker or, to a lesser degree, the Q. Had Thanksgiving there that winter with Bob and the original gang before the high profile thing started. I think Ehrenburg was one of the worst places I ever stayed, never went back, and have never understood why people go there since there are some fantastic spots actually in the same general area. No, I won't divulge them. (<;