COVID and dispersed camping status in Utah???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
Back in the spring the Southeastern Utah Health Department shut down tourism in the Moab/Arches/Canyonlands area. The order included a ban on dispersed camping except for those employed in the area. Other parts of the state also had some sort of restrictions.

I've been searching online, trying to learn the current status of dispersed camping in southern Utah, but I haven't found anything more current than mid-July. The BLM has some listings of closed ranger stations and info centers, but that's about it.

Does anyone here have up-to-date, was-just-there-myself information?

The Navajo reservation is doing weekend lock downs on the next two weekends as they have had spikes of Covid 19. Only two counties where the universities opened are in an advanced state of restrictions although counts and deaths are on the rise, Utah has a young population that is slowly filling available hospital beds as in person learning is being offered. Biggest problem in Utah is the influx of Colorado people especially on long weekends. Parks visitation is still above 130% for this time of year. BLM land is open as far as I know except for the reservation most everything is. Masks are recommended in most places and required in some cities. Wednesday was the first time everything wasn’t overflowing in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area since we opened up months ago. Weather is just starting to cool off but no monsoon rain means fire restrictions are in place. Your biggest problem other than trying to cross the res on a weekend will be the number of people where you wouldn’t expect to find them camping.

Thanks, bullfrog.

Is the ferry still closed?

Are the main roads through the res (89, 160, 191, 491) open non-Navajos on weekdays?

Ferry is down as usual. Phone number to check is (435)893-4747. Highway 95 takes about the a same amount of time to get from Bullfrog to the Halls Crossing turn off on 276 but is about 45 miles longer. Moki queen pictograph close to Hogs Springs turn out as it goes through North Wash and Hite overlook is well worth the drive. Lots of BLM land along the way. Main roads are open but on weekends on the reservation stores and therefore bathrooms are closed an locked usually. Fill up with fuel before going on the reservation just in case credit card pumps are down.

Roads are open everyday but they told us we need to carry paper work on the lockdown weekends stating we are traveling for work. I believe the lockdowns go from 5PM Friday until 5AM Monday morning.

Thanks for the info. I'm in southwest NM and I'm heading out in a couple of days to meet up with my sister and family in Capitol Reef. I'll probably be coming in through Cortez, bypassing the res. I was hoping to take Notom-Bullfrog up the Fold, do some hiking along the way. I guess I can go through Hite and double back.

You can come from Cortez on the back road that goes past Hovenweap that enters south of the 95 junction, across to the second leg of Hwy276 that goes to Bullfrog past Natural Bridges and the first leg of Hwy276 that goes to Halls Crossing then take the Burr trail ( Bullfrog to Notom, going straight at the switchbacks turnoff ) to Capital Reef. It is still dirt road about 20 miles and the last part is probably washboarded as it has been really dry and well traveled but you will pass most trails and if you detour up the switch backs you can catch A few more trails and miss most of the washboarded road (the road through Calf Creek is paved)by coming out at Boulder and going east to Capital Reef on Hwy24. There is fuel at Bullfrog and should be at Boulder.

Yes, I've taken the Cortez to Hovenweap route a couple of times. I've been through that corner of Utah a lot, but usually going or coming from Moab. And I've been up and down 12 many times. But I haven't been on 95 between Natural Bridges and Hanksville, or along 276. I've taken Burr Trail from Boulder to the end of Long Canyon, but not as far as the switchbacks and Notom-Bullfrog. So I'm hoping to get more into that northwest side of Lake Powell. I've only been around the edges of GS-E.

Gosh where to begin. It would help to know your interest, where you have been and how serious you like to explore. If you have been to Natural Bridges did you go over Hwy261(Moki Dugway switchbacks) and see Goosenecks State Park. There is I believe a trail down to the San Juan River as well as to some ruins in the area. At the top of the switchbacks is Muley Point road to the right, you can camp right on the several thousand foot ledge with the goosenecks of the San Juan below and get an aerial view of Monument Valley in the distance. All BLM and free camping. On up the road 20 miles or so towards Hwy95 is the Kane Gulch Ranger Station (stop to see if anyone is there even in the parking lot) on the right. From that parking lot there are several trails, really the triangle formed by the San Juan River, Hwy 261 and Hwy 276 to Halls Crossing contains over 2,000 ancient villages and sites known as Grand Gulch. People spend their whole lives trying to see them all. A few miles up the road you will turn left onto Hwy 95 and go past Natural Bridges and the Cheesebox formation on the left you will come to Fry Canyon which before it closed 20 or so years ago was a lodge for explorers and hikers. There is a historical marker for two graves that Cass Hite dug on his way to find the leader of the Navajos in the 1800’s for whom Hite is named. Read up on him as he was something. Son of the South, first cousin of Frank and Jessie James, and one of the few whites to be honored by the Navajos (they actually got him pardoned from a life in prison sentence by going on the war path). Next is Jacobs Chair formation. Again all of this is BLM land with the mining company now occupying the old lodge and one man at the Happy Jack Mine property the only human beings in that stretch till you get to Hite where there may not be anybody till next summer. So 100 miles across and many miles up the road there are no permanent residents, buildings or services, mostly BLM land open range. Hite is developed and has fuel(US zip code credit card) as well as water, trash, restrooms and showers but there maybe no one there. You will cross the Colorado River on a suspension bridge just past Hite, be sure to stop at the top at the overlook. There is a dumpster there as well. Just as you see the Hog Springs sign look left and you will see a big alcove, there is a crack to the left and a red rectangle near it. Park and cross the creek as there are several pictographs and petroglyphs off the trail on the other side of the creek that are not marked. If you saw the slot canyons where the guy got stuck and had to cut off body parts off at the movies. The area called the Irish Canyons is on the right just past Hog Springs trail head. Many levels of trails, you can search the internet for literature on them. Also just before MM 27 I believe (one mile back from Hwy 276 turnoff to Bullfrog) on the right is a hunting scene (pictograph) over 1200 years old that is very faint. There are several trails as you head to Bullfrog and a gas station/marina/lodge before you get to the Burr Trail turn off but three miles straight down Hwy 276 is the park and Bullfrog which is developed and mostly open year round. There is a medical clinic that is open Fridays in the winter as well. Most of Lake Powell is monitored on channel 16 for NPS emergencies and the dispatch for the NPS is (928) 608-6301 but you won’t have cell service anywhere except in the Bullfrog proper and some spotty service in the Henry Mountains on the right as you come in Hwy 276. The fee booth at Bullfrog is maned Thursday thru Sunday daytime by my wife and she can contact me if you need anything or PM me. We can get you a mile by mile description of the Burr Trail.

I came here 15 years ago for a weekend! Lol!! I’ve been here since and haven’t seen 10% of the things I know are here. I’ve been on the water quite a bit and seen most all of the shoreline (more than 1900 miles) at one water level or another, I don’t get lost in the Henry Mountains as much as I used to but all most always get broken down or stuck. I once picked up a hiker that had been out 95 days. A bicyclist that rode from here to almost Moab cross country but ended up in the hospital from dehydration and drinking bad water. He drank it knowing it was bad but he knew it was the only way to make it to civilization. If you are into birds we soon should have many migrating. The history both ancient and modern, there is just so much here you will have sensory overload if you just pass thru. Mid October thru mid December it is cool enough to survive.

Moki Dugway, check. Goosenecks, check. Muley Point, check. Also Valley of the Gods, Mexican Hat (the rock formation), Monument Valley. I've only recently become interested in ancient ruins, so there are a lot of them I've blown right by, not knowing they were there. Having lost a bunch of weight, I've become interested in hiking. I got that popular trail guide for Southern Utah and have several trails marked.

My father was from Brigham City, Mom was from Manti. The family has been in Utah almost since BY arrived. My siblings (who live in St. George, Payson, Spanish Fork and SLC) consider it the ancestral home. I consider myself a Californian. I lived in SLC during my last two years of high school and went to USU. I worked as a cook at Bryce Canyon Lodge one summer. But back in those days I had no interest in life outside cities. Deserts? Yuck. But I changed.

Well there are plenty of places to stick around here but after mid December it starts getting cold and going south on the east side of Utah gets tough. I always seem to get caught in snow after the end of December getting to and through Flagstaff headed to Tucson.