Eating Rattlesnakes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok I will chime in, I posted on the other thread to, if it's the one I am thinking of. it taste like chicken lol. just kidding. it's tough, all muscle. I did not really care for it, kinda of greasy to, like fried chicken. there I go back to chicken. however if it came down to it, I would kill it and eat it in a heartbeat if was a survival situation. highdesertranger

Seraphim said:
But. IIRC, that's a four year old thread. Either way, the OP or participants may no longer be around, and existent members consider the thread dead, and not respond.

But, it is a consideration for the actual moderators here to comment on, if they consider it to be a problem.

And if we only kept one thread per topic, no one would read through the resulting novels, and we'd only have about ten threads lol. And I'd rather do so someone the courtesy of starting and directing their own relevant thread with existing members, rather than redirect an old thread.

I consider it polite.
Yeah forums tend to have a lot of over sensitive ragers and snob types.

It's great in chili. My sis has a recipe but always used chicken (what a wuss). Chili and stews are a universal way to disguise flavors of less savory meat :)

What does reptilian fleshes taste like? I had crocodile jerky before

I met this ranch hand back in the 70s that rode train cars as far as out of state. At the ranch house where he lived, he had dead rattlesnakes hanging from tree, fangs about eye level. He said that was his watch dogs. He had a 22 rifle that he would shoot in the house, one day he said he was going home to Oklahoma and he gave me that rifle. Very tough strange old man, never seen him again.

gojo said:
I met this ranch hand back in the 70s that rode train cars as far as out of state. At the ranch house where he lived, he had dead rattlesnakes hanging from tree, fangs about eye level. He said that was his watch dogs. He had a 22 rifle that he would shoot in the house, one day he said he was going home to Oklahoma and he gave me that rifle. Very tough strange old man, never seen him again.
Awesome! Do you still have the rifle?

ToyotaEscaper said:
Awesome! Do you still have the rifle?

It was an old rifle, it was jamming all the time. I don't remember if I threw it away or gave it to someone.

highdesertranger said:
not trying to be a smart ass, but how does one throw a gun away. highdesertranger
Oh man I could only imagine finding a rifle in the trash bin lol

Figure I better answer this one. This was back around 1974, 40 years ago. I repaired a lot of guns and rifles. I think I tore it apart and I had a hard time finding parts. It probably got mixed up with all my other part. Remember there wasn't any internet back then. Now I wish I had all the old guns , a lot easier finding parts.
I'm an old pack rat, I have a shop in back of my property, it so cluttered up, you can't even walk in it. It would be something if I still had the gun. I also had around dozen junk cars. I finely sold them for scrap metal.

LeeRevell said:
I'll let a snake go about it's business if it doesn't directly threaten me. If it does, it's dead meat. Here in the Southeast rattlers can be killed without penalty. Never ate one, but we do have the annual "Rattlesnake Round-up" in Whigham, Georgia. Snakes are captured alive, milked for their venom to be made into antivenin, and prizes given for most snakes caught, and the biggest. Both numbers and sizes have dropped from the records of many years back. I guess they are being slowly whittled down. The RR has taken on the aspect of a sort of 'county fair', with numbers of attendees getting huge. Gotta get there early or be prepared to walk a mile from the parking area. Lots to see and do, besides the rattlers.
Did not know that existed in the east. Might need to check it out.

ToyotaEscaper said:
Oh man I could only imagine finding a rifle in the trash bin lol

Hey, I had a friend that found a revolver in the Guadalupe river with a metal detector, it dated back in the 1800s. He also found a 1 ct. diamond ring in the same river. Back to rattlesnakes.

Some folks keep saying that gator, snake, frogs, turtles, etc. all taste like chicken'...... not true. It's just the frying technique being the same makes it seem so. Go easy on the batter, and the unique taste of the meat comes through.
I find frog legs taste just a bit 'fishy'.
I especially love turtle. Nice white meat. Avoid Alligator-Snapper though, as they get tough and stringy! River turtles are great! Gatortail is good.

Alligator tail is really good if deep fried. Never had snake but my brother ate quite a bit of it while in the Army Rangers and he said it was alright but he could think of a lot of other things he'd eat instead.

Agreed. We ate a lot of things in survival training to get us over the 'gag' reflex, so we COULD eat weird things if necessary. I found the earthworms a bit..... 'earthy', and boring. No wonder the English prefer them in aspic. :)
But nowadays, I prefer more standard fare. But regional foods can be interesting.
The little Filipino mess cooks on my Navy ship would curry ANYTHING. Put me totally off curry for twenty-odd years, til I finally discovered Indian curry and liked it.
Hmmm....... Curried Rattlesnake, now that is a tantalizing idea!

LeeRevell said:
Agreed. We ate a lot of things in survival training to get us over the 'gag' reflex, so we COULD eat weird things if necessary. I found the earthworms a bit..... 'earthy', and boring. No wonder the English prefer them in aspic. :)
But nowadays, I prefer more standard fare. But regional foods can be interesting.
The little Filipino mess cooks on my Navy ship would curry ANYTHING. Put me totally off curry for twenty-odd years, til I finally discovered Indian curry and liked it.
Hmmm....... Curried Rattlesnake, now that is a tantalizing idea!
I eat filipino stuff mostly everyday