Easy Cooking Without a Stove

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny1

Reaction score
(Only good where fires are not banned.)<br><br>Instead of using a wood burning stove that gets soot on the bottom of the pots, I used to build small fires and cook directly on the coals before I got my trailer.<br><br>To cook on coals, you build a small fire with small pieces of hardwood.&nbsp; As the fire burns down, scoop the coals to bare dirt on the side and set your pot directly on the coals.&nbsp; Add more wood to the fire to keep a fresh supply of coals which you can scoop to your cooking area as the coals you are using cool down.<br><br>If you want a fast, furious boil, set your pot in the center of the bed of coals.&nbsp; If you want a medium boil, move the pot away from the center.&nbsp; If you want a slow simmer, move the pot to the edge of the coals.<br><br>Not only can you control the heat by cooking on coals, but you will not get a trace of soot on your pot.<br><br>I read that one of the primitive Indian tribes (I forget which one) actually built stoves that they could stand up and cook at by covering a table with a thick layer of clay and scooping out depressions for coals.&nbsp; They would scoop coals out of their fire, then set their pots on these "burners."<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Great suggestion!<div><br></div><div>-AK</div>

Think I will stick with my single burner, duel burner or my BBQ... just to much work for a fried egg sandwich...