Eastern America Nomad Network

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand NL's issues without totally agreeing with them. There are many (most?) subjects on this forum that are not exclusive to traveling the Western US and should be of interest to any nomad - wherever they are. If other topics seem western-US-centric, I would assume that is where most of our readers travel. So, no need for anyone to be defensive.

HOWEVER, (caps intended for emphasis) I can also see why there might be a certain percentage of nomads that would like something specific to travel in their area. I don't know why this couldn't just be handled by a topic title, rather than a separate forum. Kind of like we now handle "Women-Only" issues.

As a last comment/question .... Has anyone ever come on here claiming to be a "nature-hater?"

I like what Orange has suggested.

I am not on Facebook, don’t like it, don’t want it, so if this kind of private group is the norm there then that’s not something I am familiar with.

Members living or even just traveling east of the Mississippi can apply to join this Eastern Nomad group, apparently, which would be anyone who said so, right?

So how is that any different than what we have here except that it would be private and “closed” to members only?

People can and do communicate off these forums, so a private and closed group is not needed for anyone needing help.

I don’t understand, really, the purpose of creating a private group, or the benefit it would bring to the nomad group as a whole.

Eastern Nomads would discuss certain things in the private group, and other things here? What?

Or they would leave this forum to join and participate in the private group populated by those from this forum who are living in or planning to travel east of the Mississippi?

I just don’t get it, it seems illogical, at best.

But, that’s me, and I’ve said it.

I do think some gatherings in the east would be nice, and would hope that if those occur they would be posted here.

I was thinking the same thing as RonDean and Orange, whether there could be a sub-forum set up here for this.

I've been in a couple of closed/private Facebook groups. Both had specific work-related reasons for being closed -- one to discuss professional issues frankly and the other to handle scheduling. (Nowadays I avoid FB as much as possible, actually.)

From the explanation above, it looked to me like a Google Group could also be set up not to require permission to join -- if you just chose the "public group" option -- right?

Not to kibbitz too much, but it seems like public/open is a good default option for groups, with private/closed reserved for when there's a real need for it. And if tech isn't your favorite thing, and herding cats gets on your nerves, then maybe an easier option (like starting a sub-forum here, or even just an active thread) would be less aggravating and equally effective. One personal opinion only!

I was thinking the same thing as RonDean and Orange, whether there could be a sub-forum set up here for this.
Seems there is enough interest from nomads/campers in the eastern U.S. to warrant a sub-forum. Sometimes I do searches in this forum for Illinois and the surrounding states to try to find others camping/boondocking in the region. I didn't realize there were already threads for eastern U.S. nomads.

Found two threads about eastern U.S. nomads and one has six pages. Threads get buried, whereas with a sub-forum we can always find it.

https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/eastern-nomads-newbies-seasoned-questions-comments-quips.40864/
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/calling-all-nomads-in-the-east.42804/

What Carla618 said. (y)

Looking at these other threads, my posts in them included, the idea of gathering Eastern nomads together here was well-received.

A subforum sounds like a good idea.

Threads on various topics related to traveling East of the Big River could be grouped together in one place.

What would it take to start an Eastern Nomads subforum, and is there support here for that?

Hello, Keebler, and welcome. :)

For what it’s worth, yesterday I used the Contact Us button at the bottom of each page to request a subforum here for eastern nomads.

I suggested they move the threads from the past few years into it, and then anything new can go in there for easy findability for anyone.

Personally, I share favorite free or very cheap sites privately, lest they be overrun, but threads on all manner of other issues could be placed in a new subforum.

I had a response from “Angie” that she would ask the mods, so we’ll see.

I mean, why not, really?

Yes, why not, I mean there are 26 states East of the Mississippi, all with their unique quirks in history and tradition, just like the West.

I'm planning to be a full-time eastern snowbird nomad next year. Is that enough qualification? It would make me feel safer to meet with others in the group for boondocking in state and national forests sporadically depending on my travel agenda.

Unfortunately, I don't Google or Facebook... (Or Twit) (or Tok) (or Insta - whatever) (or Tube)( or ....)

:(

Hello again friends. I didn’t mean to stir in a bucket of 💩 and I am a bit too sensitive about that 💩. The Google group is up and has actually doubled in membership on the first day. In other words I got one person plus me now so it doubled In 24 hours😀

A lot of people have expressing interest And are waiting to see what happens. one person didn’t want to do it on Google and recommended somewhere else, but I already set it up on Google and I got cards printed that I can hand out to nomads, who are not on this forum, I find along the way so it’s gonna stay on Google for now. I didn’t say everything in the first post I made here, I couldn’t. And I didn’t know that bold print was screaming, the whole thing was in bold print so I could read it better to proofread it. So we leave it on google For now. any nomad (Without a criminal record 😀 ) wants to be part of it Can Be. Any gatherings that are large proposed could be advertised on this forum that wouldn’t bother me. And as far as me having to allow people is That’s how Google groups works, every one of them.but my original plans, which I didn’t state here were that any member can invite others. But I’m trying to keep this a site for nomads. gatherings that are proposed and such could be advertised on this forum, or any media, that wouldn’t bother me. And as far as me approving people that’s how google groups works. which I didn’t state where that any member can invite anybody. This site is not going to be like the forum where you have many threads about many different subjects to help people to build rigs, install equipment, and all that. This form is the appropriate place for the above.

my purpose is to keep those who are traveling in the east aware of the fact that there are others for emotional support and maybe even help them (One on one) when they get in a jam etc. so there will be somestuff about rigs and eguipment but why try to duplicate what’s already done. This site and Bob’s videos are much more superior to what I can do. By the way I first started talking about this idea on this forum in January 2020.

I tried to answer all your questions and objections I hope that helps. My heart is in the right place but my mind wonders.

so if you’d like to:

*know who will be in your area, so you might visit each other, Share a meal, or a handshake (I need to be politically correct in these days so a Fist bump) instead of pass each other on the highway Unaware.

*to suggest sites to camp or sites not to camp for people specific to the east.

* become aware of others traveling not far from you who can be a support someway if needed. (Piece of mind)

* help provide the emotional and mental encouragement that many of us need.

* and whatever useful things we can share with each other

The invitation remains open email [email protected] and I will open the door for you (if you qualify 😀😀😀 come on guys smile)

Hello, Keebler, and welcome. :)

For what it’s worth, yesterday I used the Contact Us button at the bottom of each page to request a subforum here for eastern nomads.

I suggested they move the threads from the past few years into it, and then anything new can go in there for easy findability for anyone.

Personally, I share favorite free or very cheap sites privately, lest they be overrun, but threads on all manner of other issues could be placed in a new subforum.

I had a response from “Angie” that she would ask the mods, so we’ll see.

I mean, why not, really?
thanks, still cold here in Va. 33 this morning, windy as heck. changing oil today "Maybe" to windy get oil everywhere. have a great weekend.

Attachments

• camping in the yard.jpg
    camping in the yard.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 5
I have searched for the group and can't find them on Google Groups.

carla618 - I thought you would see the smiley faces and know that that was humor??? I said that to be funny because I quoted it from somebody else that had a problem with what I was doing.

I told you all that I’m not technically savvy. What is a subforum? Just another thread? I don’t know much about forums and how they operate that’s obvious.

as to those who can’t find it I will be looking into that tomorrow as I’m close to going to bed tonight. As I said if you email me at [email protected] I will add your name to the list like I have done the others and you will be the able to access it to read or post whatever you want.

I plan to be on this forum as well as on this Google group they are not the same thing. I don’t even know who owns this forum anymore. I plan to go ahead and do what I’m doing and if you wanna do something else that’s entirely up to you. It’s a free country. I love you all.