Earthquakes around the Sultan Sea this am 10/02/2020

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

readyornot

Reaction score
I had heard that numerous earth quakes were recorded in the area of the Sultan Sea this morning 10/02/2020 and was curious if anyone from the Slabs had anything to report, is everyone OK?

I felt a tiny earthquake once here in PA. you guys can keep the bigger ones out west. Either way it’s not my fault. (Pun intended););)

I love earthquakes.. at least when my family and freinds and myself are in no real danger.

I have been in some rollers in Ak and they are thrilling. The power of nature is awe inspiring.

Mankind needs a good jolt every now and then to let them know they are not so significant in spite of their magical technologies.

I felt this last one. My bed was moving around and shaking and my dog came running in barking. I’ve been in many many earthquakes. How scary it is for me depends more on how long they last than how intense they are (IMO)

LERCA - where are you? How close to Salton Sea?

The closest I ever got to a large earthquake was on May 2, 1983 when I was in my friend's mobile home near Fresno... and 60 miles away there was a 6.7 earthquake in Coalinga. The mobile home shook a little - enough that you could tell there was an earthquake - but of course, not much and nothing was damaged.

The strongest earthquake I experienced was on the 24th of February 1981 in Athens Greece, and was a 7.1 in the Richter scale.
It was just before 11pm and we were watching Dallas on TV, when it started shaking and the lights went out.

The buildings were coming and going sounding like tambourines, and you could hear glass breaking and stuff falling, and people screaming. Everyone in the neighborhood was out in the middle of the town square in their pajamas, and women had rollers on their head, and a grandma on a seat covered with fifty blankets. It would 've been funny if it wasn't so scary.
We spend the night in cars away from buildings, as the aftershocks came one after the other, and for several days after.
It didn't help that I was 9 months pregnant and due in two days.
All other earthquakes I've been in, were smaller.

If I were one of those Awful Childish minds who like most men have only one thing in their head, I would talk about why your bed was shaking and moving around. But I’m not like that so I won’t bring it up. No not me, I’m not like that.

Sorry sofisintown. it was Lerca Who mentioned the bed shaking. My juvenile mind could not let it go. “Boys will be boys” and so will some old men like me. You known the difference between men and government bonds? Government bonds will eventually mature. I can’t sleep very well when I’m sick so I sit up thinking of stupid stuff like this.

• I lived in Anchorage for 7 years so have experienced many quakes. But since then in Puget Sound there was one memorable one, the Nisqually Quake, 6.8 that lasted for a full minute. When it happened I was shopping in a Walmart in East Bremerton, WA. Things were crashing to the floor off the shelves. There were a lot of peop,e who ran screaming out the front doors into the parking lot. I did not scream or run, I just calmly made my way outside. But out in the parking lot as I looked up the tall light poles were really whipping back and forth. That had me a bit more oncerned than stuff crashing off of shelves even though I know that poles do flex. The screaming people were mostly Navy wives who had never before experienced an earthquake. I had to calm some of them down who were rather hysterical. Still, it was a pretty strong quake for a first time experience so who can blame them for a bit of hysteria. On the drive back home on an overpass it must have moved the road bed quite a lot as there were some cars that had collided. At home on Bainbridge Island there was a crack in the plaster board above a group of picture windows. But it was on the end wall on the second story of a 3 level house, on tne peak end of a steep roof so not a truly hazardous situation as far as structural stability goes. But there was a fair amont of damage done in the Puget Sound area from that quake especially to the old brick buildings in the historic areas of Seattle and other nearby towns. A lot of mandatory retro fitting of older brick buildings followed after that event which was in itself quite a financial hardship on many commercial property owners of old brick buildings.

I lived in California for 20 years and earthquakes become just another part of life, like tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards and floods in other parts of the country. There are thousands of them each year, most of which you never notice. You feel shaking or swaying begin and you pause to see if it's going to build and judge whether you're in a safe spot. Most of the time it's nothing and everyone goes back to whatever they were doing. The destructive ones are rare. Extreme weather causes more damage and injuries/fatalities annually than earthquakes.

https://californiainform.com/interesting/how-many-earthquakes-does-california-have-a-year/

"Each year the southern California area has about 10,000 earthquakes. Most of them are so small that they are not felt. Only several hundred are greater than magnitude 3.0, and only about 15-20 are greater than magnitude 4.0"

Travelaround I’m a few hours away due to traffic. We get so many earthquakes I don’t pay attention to where they are centered, ours may have been centered locally. It was supposed to be a small one but it felt worse than usual. The entire state is chock full of fault lines. And the Pacific Rim is what it is.
The only time my bed shakes anymore is during an earthquake and that’s a geological one. Minds outta the gutter.  ;)

MrNoodly said:
https://californiainform.com/interesting/how-many-earthquakes-does-california-have-a-year/

"Each year the southern California area has about 10,000 earthquakes. Most of them are so small that they are not felt. Only several hundred are greater than magnitude 3.0, and only about 15-20 are greater than magnitude 4.0"

Actually many small earthquakes are a good thing, because they gradually relieve the pressure that is building up due to the plates moving. When there is no earthquakes for a longer period of time the built-up pressure can bring about stronger quakes that can cause damage.

It is proven though that the solar cycles are a major factor influencing the frequency or tremors. And we are now in a high point of these cycles ( Solar Minimum AND Grand Solar Minimum at that) that we will have many more quakes and volcanic eruptions than normal for the next several years.

Mississippi river area is due for a large earthquake, may teach some not to build in brick. Won't kill as many as when Yellowstone goes up, but that is on a longer scale. Sea level is on the rise, think about that before investing in low elevation property.