Dwelling out of a Hyundai Elantra

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La_Vache

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm preparing myself for the awesome mobile journey of cardwelling, (I think I've done quite enough "research" :sleepy: ) and had just a quick question before biting the bullet and making my dream a reality. Firstly, I will be staying in a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. I had a good idea for comfortable sleeping, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing it. My idea was to remove the top portions (the part that your back rests on) of the back passenger seats and front passenger seat, while leaving the bottom portions (where your butt rests) in the car. This would hopefully allow me to access the trunk from the inside of the car, and give me a bit of room to lie down. My  question is, how can I do this? Is it possible to remove the top parts of the seats and keep the bottoms in tact? Bonus points if someone can tell me how to remove the shell of the center console while still allowing it to keep its functionality (this would increase comfort by at least 20%)

Thanks again for everyone's help!

seat.png

Attachments

• seat.png
    seat.png
    574.3 KB · Views: 18
I've never worked on a Hyundai but found this on-line.  
For the back seat:
You'll have to pull the seat cushion to get to the bolts holding in the seat back. 

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/xd-2001-2006-elantra/67777-rear-seat-removal.html

Did not see anything on removing the back of the front seat.  
You will probably have to  pull it to get to the pivot hardware.

There is a Hyundai Elantra forum that may give you better responses about your specific vehicle.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/xd-2001-2006-elantra/

La_Vache said:
Hi everybody, I'm preparing myself for the awesome mobile journey of cardwelling, (I think I've done quite enough "research" :sleepy: ) and had just a quick question before biting the bullet and making my dream a reality. Firstly, I will be staying in a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. I had a good idea for comfortable sleeping, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing it. My idea was to remove the top portions (the part that your back rests on) of the back passenger seats and front passenger seat, while leaving the bottom portions (where your butt rests) in the car. This would hopefully allow me to access the trunk from the inside of the car, and give me a bit of room to lie down. My  question is, how can I do this? Is it possible to remove the top parts of the seats and keep the bottoms in tact? Bonus points if someone can tell me how to remove the shell of the center console while still allowing it to keep its functionality (this would increase comfort by at least 20%)

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Are you still out there? Wondering how your Hyundai Elantra Touring worked out. I have a 2012 and would like to retrofit it for dwelling and travel.

Latest posts