Dutch Oven cooking

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsySpirit

Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I've never used one.  Found a 2 1/2 qt cast iron one today for $12.   Once I get there, (Jan 1), is someone willing to give me a introductory lesson on using one?

GypsySpirit said:
I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I've never used one.  Found a 2 1/2 qt cast iron one today for $12.   Once I get there, (Jan 1), is someone willing to give me a introductory lesson on using one?

I won't be at the rtr, but I've cooked a lot of great food in my dutch oven. excited for you. Is it rusty, or well seasoned? Are you familiar with cast iron cooking? Two things I recommend are a lid lifter, and a rack to set the lid on.

Brand new, in box. I seasoned it today, it's still in the oven. I have my cast iron frying pans, and am reading up on cooking in a dutch oven. I love the little size!

Here is a link I found on a similar thread, web site for cooking in a dutch over.

I may have to try and find one.

Keep us posted!

there used to be an older couple at the Quartzsite swap meet that had hundreds of pieces of cast iron cookware. nice couple, good prices. not sure if they still sell there. highdesertranger

Thanks Van-Tramp, I must have had a grey moment!

That seems to be happening a lot lately!

Cast iron cooking is great especially in dutch ovens. There are tons of groups and sites on line to teach you everything you need. I will be at the RTR just ask around for me and if I can answer any of your questions I will.
Look on you tube also lots of videos showing how to do it.

Lodge has a good book. I've tried it several times and it seems the trick is to get your upper and lower charcoal count just right along with the cook time. The first time i tried to cook something i just buried the whole thing in coals and left it for hours. Way too hot and burnt everything

I love watching Cowboy Kent Rollins on You Tube. He cooks and bakes in dutch ovens outside on wood coals.