Dual USB install (Live Broadcast)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cargovanconversion

Reaction score
I will be starting with my first small modification to my Ford Transit cargo van conversion. First in a series that will show in great detail, every modification of the van into a full-size one-person RV.

2016 Ford Transit 250 MR LWB. Only the replacement of one of the two 12V outlets in the cabin console with a dual USB (1A/2.1A) socket.

It'll be the first of many Live video broadcasts that I hope to do, to show in great detail the whole process of converting a cargo van into a RV. I'll post some of the pics in the coming days.

You can view it here.

Van Williams

[font=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]The final LIVE video broadcast went well, except for some sound problems, which I'm working on right now.[/font]
[font=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]The focus was on replacing one of the two 12V outlets in the cabin console of my Ford Transit.
01.jpg

I didn't need many tools, only two sharp and pointy box cutters. The top panel, which contained the socket could be pulled apart fairly easy by hand with a little wiggling.
02.jpg

It's attached to the main console with about seven standard clips.
03.jpg

04.jpg

[/font]
[font=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]Besides the T-shaped 12V connector, the area underneath only contained the trailer brake controller, that I had installed as an option. The same space also allows room for the Upfitter switches option.
05.jpg

[/font]
[font=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]The tricky part was how to remove the old socket, which is held to the frame with two plastic 'springs'. Forget about those and focus on the metal, inner tube, which is attached with two smaller, but similar 'plastic springs' to the outer, plastic shell. By pulling these pins outward, the inner tube is released and subsequently the outer plastic shell can be taken out of the panel.[/font]
[font=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]The only adaptation I had to make, was a short extension wire with spade connectors, to connect the T-shape connector to the parallel prongs on the new Dual USB charger.
06.jpg

[/font]
[font=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]This could be a 10-minute job and suitable for most DIY'ers.
07.jpg

[/font]
[font=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]In the coming days, I will write up a more detailed article with more images on the website and will publish a real detailed step-by-step guide with all the videos, images, tools and other resources to download for those who are interested.[/font]
[font=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]
You can watch the full video here![/font]

[font=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]This was a great experience and I learned a lot to make the next LIVE video broadcast even better. That will be the installation of a parking sensor in my rear bumper. Follow my website for updates or subscribe to be automatically notified of the next broadcast.[/font]

Hey Van, I recognize you from the Transit forum, I go as MoFoCo over there. Look forward to seeing more of your work. I'm trying to finish remodeling my non-wheeled house right now, but once I get some headway there, I will be diving into some conversion work on my T250.