Drilling into roof necessary?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myke

Reaction score
If mounting solar panels on a minivan roof, is there a way to run the wires from the panels into the van without drilling a hole in the roof?

Maybe in through one of the doors, or hatch somehow?

GotSmart said:
How did you plan on mounting the panels?

I have my wires going through the side of my roof fan.  A roof vent is a must when vandwelling. 

I figured I would attach them to the roof rack...

Hmm... I won't be having a roof vent; I know that's not optimal... crack the windows with screens is probably what i will have to do...

On my GMC there is a pass through near the door joints for the license plate lights. If your doors have any kind of powered device inside them you can just run your wire down to it and use the existing holes.

pmekdahl01 said:
On my GMC there is a pass through near the door joints for the license plate lights. If your doors have any kind of powered device inside them you can just run your wire down to it and use the existing holes.

That would be sweet...

myke said:
I figured I would attach them to the roof rack...

Hmm... I won't be having a roof vent; I know that's not optimal... crack the windows with screens is probably what i will have to do...

Look at how I made the channel to attach to the rack.  It is as if the panel is not there.  I have to point it out to people.  

I found my vent at a yard sale.  $5.  (Without the fan) It made a major difference in the temp. It is well worth the investment in comfort.  There are a lot of threads on here about cutting the roof to instal them.

If your vehicle is, for example, a newer car and you're just living in it temporarily, I can understand not wanting to drill a hole.

If you are buying it to make a dwelling I would say don't be afraid of making holes. It really is easy to seal things with only minor skills. Place your hole somewhere water isn't going to sit, drill only as big as it needs to be, put a rubber grommet or such inside so wires don't rub through on the edge, and seal with an acrylic caulking. Resist the urge to slather silicone on everything. Acrylic caulking can be wiped with a wet finger to give a smooth seam. Smooth is important in keeping water out.

You could run the wires all the way to the undercarriage and bring them in from the bottom if you wanted.

akrvbob said:
Sometimes you can get them through the brake light near the roof.
Bob

Cool, thanks, I will investigate that...