Dreams of van life, but own a business

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vancrab

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Justin and I currently live in Seattle. I've been dreaming about van life for about 5+ years now and each year the urge gets stronger. I currently own my own business, which I run out of my apartment, but I sell physical goods so it has kept me from being fully nomadic as I would need a place to store my inventory as well as pack and ship products to my customers. I tend to pick everything up and move to a new location every year or so (WA, AZ, CO, MO so far), so really I can't complain as I do have that freedom. My true passion is photography, so if I can figure out a way to make ends meet with that, then that would allow for true freedom. I look forward to gaining more knowledge from you all and hopefully I can be of assistance to others as I learn more.

Couldn't you use an order fulfillment service?

Welcome Justin to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

How about a van pulling a cargo trailer?  That could hold a lot of rotating stock.  You could look into the open air markets that are all through the southwest in the winter.  Many people make enough money as vendors at them.  RV clubs welcome vendors at their conventions if the products are suitable for the RV lifestyle.  I see vendors at most music festivals and other festivals as well.
There are many campgrounds where a person can camp for extended periods of time, as you have been doing in your apartments.  Not all of them allow business conducted.  A mail order business might be more tolerated.
Let us know how you do.  Good luck, your boss is probably a slavedriver.