Don't Camp in a wash??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RvNaut

Reaction score
Over on FB a person was " everything here is a wash" when advised not to camp in a wash.

A wash is the low ground in a desert area where water can collect or, turn into a river. The area of high ground surrounding the low areas is called the notwash.
Heavy rains are predicted in the Quartzsite area on Fri and Sat, but thankfully it will not come with a lot of wind.

So , there you have it.... stay dry!!

https://arizonaweatherforce.com/202...NncLKevO1fc1H_ewPIpVUfy8jRlRm2xFpXMjt7rtdt6y4

There are lots of past year videos of Quartzite BLM washes flooding on YouTube!

There are lots of past year videos of Quartzite BLM washes flooding on YouTube!

Yes, but.. well... people are challenged to just use google to find information, so them finding flood videos might not ever happen... :)

..and it seems all to regular that people end up in Q very much unprepared despite all the info out there..:)

I did notice a person had pitched a small tent in the soft sand of a wash as I was driving out of La Posa South yesterday. No car was around and no one visible so I did not stop. But as they are nearly adjacent to the main road and close to the entrance they will have quickly been told of the danger of that location especially as it is common for people to watch the upcoming weather forecast.

The rain hath cometh to Pirate Camp 🙀

...a small tent in the soft sand of a wash... the danger of that location... common for people to watch the upcoming weather forecast.
In the 1950s, we camped all over the American South-West desert.
Back in the olden days, we saw government signs all over the place, warning of flood dangers.
One series of warnings stand clear in my memories:
* rain from a hundred miles away can instantly flood a worsh.
So, a weather report -- 'looking straight up' -- could be misleading.
Of course, a 'upcoming' forecast might do better...

Over on FB a person was " everything here is a wash" when advised not to camp in a wash.

A wash is the low ground in a desert area where water can collect or, turn into a river. The area of high ground surrounding the low areas is called the notwash.
Heavy rains are predicted in the Quartzsite area on Fri and Sat, but thankfully it will not come with a lot of wind.

So , there you have it.... stay dry!!

https://arizonaweatherforce.com/202...NncLKevO1fc1H_ewPIpVUfy8jRlRm2xFpXMjt7rtdt6y4
but I need everything I own power washed. Water is scarce. What better way...

Has anybody mentioned this yet? that it doesn't have to be raining /right in your area/ in order to put you in danger of flooding if you camp in a wash. The rain could be way up in the mountains and if you're on its route to the sea you could stll get swept away.

I learned this in a wilderness survival class taught by a major national organization. When we then actually went camping, the leader of my group said "everyone who snores, pitch your tent over there [in the wash]." LOL uh-uh.