Done working Amazon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

methos54

Reaction score
So I started living in my van 2 years ago but have done virtually no travel except for a brief stay an RTR 2016 and back to northern ILL to visit friends. Have put in 1 1/2 years at Amazon in Texas and am physically and mentally burned out at 62 from that slave camp LOL. Going for early retirement and want to start hooking up with other van dwellers for advice and friendship. I guess RTR 2018 would be a good start but that's months away and I would appreciate ideas on where you folks hang out these days.....anywhere but Texas LOL.

Welcome methos to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

I,m in the mountains of Colorado on NFS land. Outside a town called Woodland Park,  on Rampart Range road.   Pike National Forest.   It's close enough to Colorado Springs,  where I've lived for the last 21 years.   I rent a garage there, so I go down weekly. 

There were a few people further west , I don't know if anyone is still there.   Search for " gtg " in thread titles.  I'll be heading further south,  maybe,  sometime.

Funny you mentioned TX, I may go there for Thanksgiving, to visit Son , sister, 
and other family. 

Pat

Crave, Dave and I are still in the Jefferson area and we were the last to leave the Colorado GTG. I believe tomorrow we will move up to Kenosha pass about a hour and a half from Denver.

Congrats on retiring. I have read that Amazon can be hell on you.

Hi methos54

I have heard that same thing about Amazon from other people too so I never went that route.  I started working and traveling five years ago full time and have worked temp jobs such as campground host positions and then traveled inbetween jobs.  I will be turning 62 this coming December and will be filing for early retirement myself due to health issues, unfortunately.  It wasn't what I had planned, but that's okay. 

Keep us all posted on how things are going and where you are.

Dennis

My friend is 35 and did Amazon this winter to try something different and he said it wasn't easy keeping up and although he's no athlete, he's far from being out of shape too. Congrats on the early retirement, time to enjoy your time on your own clock and at your own pace.

I was thinking about working as a seasonal worker for Amazon. It seems perfect. Work like crazy for 3 months and then take off for the country with lots of money saved up, so you don't have to worry about finding work on the road. Has anyone tried this? How did it work out?

I passed on my chance to work there but know a bunch of people that have.
Amazon sets daily "numbers" to get people motivated but they don't push the older employees too hard to make it !

If anyone does this , buy 2 pairs of the most comfortable shoes you can find as you will be on your feet for 10 hrs or more a day at peak season....

froghat said:
I was thinking about working as a seasonal worker for Amazon. It seems perfect. Work like crazy for 3 months and then take off for the country with lots of money saved up, so you don't have to worry about finding work on the road. Has anyone tried this? How did it work out?

Hi froghat

I spent 2 peak seasons with Amazon as a member of camperforce in Texas. This year they terminated the program in Texas, rumor has it that the double standards we got as opposed to the regular associates was unacceptable to the new Mgr. Camperforce was excused from production rates and sometimes we bent the rules on extended breaks or taking no overtime. It was a great time for us because of the comradeship, not to mention free campsites. It is hard work, often I would see alot of us limping along after a 11 hour shift. Only 2 sites remain now I think, Kentucky and Tennessee.

methos54 said:
Hi froghat

I spent 2 peak seasons with Amazon as a member of camperforce in Texas. This year they terminated the program in Texas, rumor has it that the double standards we got as opposed to the regular associates was unacceptable to the new Mgr. Camperforce was excused from production rates and sometimes we bent the rules on extended breaks or taking no overtime. It was a great time for us because of the comradeship, not to mention free campsites. It is hard work, often I would see alot of us limping along after a 11 hour shift. Only 2 sites remain now I think, Kentucky and Tennessee.

I noticed the pay was significantly less, although you do get a site. so that could even out perhaps. If you want similar experiences as Amazon, post office is always hiring. the manual section of clerks, which handles packages, doesnt have production numbers to hit. They cant yell at you for not being as fast as others. and compensation is good...if you like 12hrs everyday for 2-3 months  :p

methos54,
I've sent you a pm, click on private messages in green letters in the upper right area of the page.