Do I even need to pay California taxes?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftTown

Reaction score
This is more of a logic puzzle and an inside joke than a practical question.

I was profiled as a "mental health" and locked out of a 2 bedroom house which I had been renting for 15+ years on April 13, 2021.

Reconnected with old friend who had been trained as paralegal in Cali, regained access to property in early July. Began mental health therapy with licensed social worker.

Returned key to property owner December 9, 2021. Sold out--turned inheritance into cash and self has no further interest in stix 'n brix life.

In the state of California, a person who lives in their vehicle, regardless of whether it is a pathetic loser like me babbling nonsensically or Bill Gates in his 5Mil Class A motorhome, is considered to be "a homeless".

I've been struggling so hard to stay in Cali, but why? Because I want to pay my taxes? I paid $400 to have them done right by a CPA, since it was all Capital Gains.

But since I was not living in a stix n brix when the securities were actually sold, am I legally and/or morally a Californian in the first place?

I supposedly owe Cali about twice what I owe the feds.

That's a lot of gas money for a minivan dweller, lol. I could probably get myself to Texas and get domiciled right if I just pocketed it.

At this point, I am so bitter and angry that I wish I could get away with doing just that!

If you're homeless you're still a CA resident and I'm pretty sure even if you move you'll still owe taxes to CA. They have devious ways to hound you if you don't. Check with the CPA or other good resource.

You maintained a CA residence for 7 1/2 months. Generally, that's going to make you a resident, which is logical.

I could probably get myself to Texas and get domiciled right if I just pocketed it.

(Once it warms up) in South Dakota I think theirs is only a 1-day residency requirement. I don't think that will change the historical tax situation, though.

IANAL, but I tried to collect relevant info on residency decisions in this RVwiki article. I was already domiciled in TX and didn't change anything when I went fulltime.

(Once it warms up) in South Dakota I think theirs is only a 1-day residency requirement. I don't think that will change the historical tax situation, though.
You are correct. It is quite possible to owe taxes to more than one state in a year. Just depends on how those states define residency for income tax purposes. And California is one of the strictest states.

OP, if you don't pay those California taxes, they can - and most likely will - make your life unpleasant.

Wait, what?
California still has a government?
The situation certainly indicates the opposite...
No government, ergo no taxes.
Stands to reason.
(the amount of [sarc] in this comment exceeds all verbal or written method of calculation)