Don From Alabama

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dredman

Reaction score
Just rolled into the RTR in Quartzsite, and met a few folks - one reminded me of the forum, and I had not jined yet so here I am.  Looks like a great spot, and appears to be a cool event brewing up here.

Like I said, from Alabama, been on the road since August, touring the states on a big adventure, that hopefully will last a good bit longer.  You can't miss me, I am the one in the bigass school-bus, with a kayak strapped to the roof.  More about me can be found here http://dredman.com/.

I look forward to meeting those attending the RTR, and anyone else in the future.

cropped-IMG_0780.jpg

Welcome...looking forward to meeting you....

Lived in prattville a
Few years....

I'm in a small travel trailer - casita....

Welcome to the CRVL forums Don.
That rig IS big. Guess you'll have no problems with having enough storage..

Welcome Don and hello from Tennessee!

I love your bus! I am looking for a bus myself, albeit a tad smaller :) About to check out your link and hope you have pics of the inside.

Have fun at RTR. I wish I could have made it this year.

Awesome looking bus, off to check your website :)

Just looked at your site...similar stories...I got on the road six years ago...

Yep  saw that big ass bus on my afternoon walk through to see what was happenin'.  Nice lookin' bus.

Howiet

thanks for the welcome folks, glad to be here.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Don!

Love the bus! Hopefully, we'll meet next week when I finally arrive in Q.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to CRVL

Really like that Bus.

I considered one awhile back and talked to the driver who was still operating it. (it wouldn't come up for sale for a year yet...and then I found a deal on my low milage E350 Ford high top. 

I had in mind to fix the rear end of it to be like a garage to carry a "Smart Car" when I traveled and when the Car
was pulled down the ramps the garage could serve as a screened in porch by waking hours, and an open bedroom with temps & weather permitting.

Have you re-geared your rig for better fuel mileage ?

Here's an illustration

School_Bus_GC2.jpg

The screen panels would be covered on the inside with plexiglass when traveling.  the rear of the Bus would
be fixed like doors to open and allow the vehicle to enter & exit.  The ramps would be housed under the floor
of the rear end of the Bus when traveling as that would be set up for their storage place.  On arrival these could be pulled out and attached to the rear to provide a ramp way.  The little Smart Car is 8.8 ft long and
5.1 ft tall.  A Scion IQ is slightly longer at 10 ft.

I'd also looked into finding a 2 speed rear axle that could be used on a Bus like this to provide a high range
overdrive for the highway.  The lower range for grades.