Domestic travel potentially curtailed/forbidden?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WalkaboutTed said:
Just got finished with a 2 week self quarantine  tonight ....
Did you quarantine in your rig? 

I am providing cares for an elderly person, we have been staying in since early on  to avoid some of the sick people and world travellers.  Gets old after a while.  - crofter

I would suggest that everyone who is doing van life, ie full time or even part time nomadic travels create their own folder of bookmarked websites for the areas they want to go. Those bookmarks should include the official websites for the closures of land which can be camped on.

As an example I will choose one state that many might want to visit, Utah
You might want to include in your list the National Park Service in the Zion area which post all the notices effecting going to that area. https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/campgrounds-in-zion.htm

You would want to know what the current situation is for the whole state and each of States in the USA are now are putting up pages specifically related to Coronavirus updates and information. So you could search out and bookmark them
https://coronavirus.utah.gov/latest/

Here is a link to the Utah State parks website with updates as to closures regarding policies relating to Covid -19
https://stateparks.utah.gov/2020/03/16/covid-19-updates/

Utah along with other states has up to date traffic and road closure information as well as specific information such as where rest stops are and their status. They also have RV dumpsite information on the state transportation website. So that belongs in your bookmark folder for that area.
http://uplan.maps.arcgis.com/home/w...ing=1&layers=a8d16c9f1f0c492a9a2d98a8849abc2d

If you need to go into particular counties and/or towns in that area to do shopping you can pull up those local government web pages with the updates and or the newspaper or TV station online news for those locations. That will help you understand what places have been ordered to close and what if any restrictions there are for confined movement within that specific location.

So plan ahead and while you are at a place where you can browse create a folder of bookmarks to make it fast and easy to find out the critical info you need to know about closures. Be prepared, it is fun to wander in the wilderness but it is not a lot of fun to get someplace when it is close on towards dark only to find out you can't stay there because of a closure.

You don't have to constantly stay tuned in to the news, you don't have to know what is happening everywhere in the country, you just need to know where where you, yourself, might be prohibited from camping due to closures or what towns it might be difficult to function in for getting supplies. With limited internet you will want to be able to do it very quickly and those bookmarks make it nearly instant access to what you need to know.

I hope this post isn't too political; mods, if it is, delete it and I will not be offended.

Why ban, temporarily, camping on BLM or other land that is deserted?  If you are distant from others, and not a gathering like RTR, seems like a safe place to be.

Public land management entities have been trying to curtail use of these areas for some years now, we all know that and perhaps to some degree agree with it.  But I wonder if this is their Big Opportunity to lock it up for long term.  The Patriot Act comes to mind.

The closures and restrictions are perhaps necessary now but how many of these rules will remain after this is over?  Scary stuff.  Scarier even than this virus.

It may have to do in part with the need to still supervise remote areas, and the people who choose to be in them.

Who could become ill, requiring evacuation, etc. Reeling things in while they are still manageable is better than mad scrambling at whatever becomes the last minute.

I am trying to focus on the short term, do my part for what needs to be done right now, follow recommendations from the EXPERTS, and deal with the long term as it comes.

We really don’t know how this is all going to unfold, except the certainty that it will get worse before it gets better.

We can worry about some things later, as there seems plenty enough to worry about right now.

Not to be contentious, I am not worrying about anything
I also don't ingest corporate 'news', including so called experts. They all have agendas and none of them are in my best interest.

Being primarily a remote boondocking fan, I am already doing what's best for me, and oters, during the hysteria. If fact, this present scenario, social breakdown, was one of the variables I factored into my vision of my rig.

I am going to continue to camp on blm, National Forest dispersed camping and state trust land till they inform me of their intent to arrest/confine me.

I will eat my hat if more freedom and liberty are not eroded away as a result of this..

My heart goes out to urban van dwellers.

WalkaboutTed said:
Just got finished with a 2 week self quarantine  tonight (Hubby was in Japan for a month plus) and now that we're free to gallivant, everything is closed! They closed down the New Mexico State Parks for overnight camping and then they shut them down completely  on Monday. Can't even go kayaking.

We're gonna stay in New Mexico for the next couple of months,  work on projects as long as the hardware stores stay open.  Can't buy anything but food,  staples at Amazon for the foreseeable future.  Signed up for Netflix.

My 39 year old son got the virus five days ago.  It went right to his lungs and the myalgia was horrible.  He cycles and runs hundreds of miles a week and now is short of breath just talking on the phone and gets faint if he sits up too long.  He said "Mumsy,  whatever you do,  don't get this.  It's really bad". But, since he can't get tested,  he doesn't have it, right?  He was going to go back to work next week if he was better,  but his job is gone as of today.
Ted
So sorry your son got it - and I'm glad you haven't!

WalkaboutTed said:
Just got finished with a 2 week self quarantine  tonight (Hubby was in Japan for a month plus) and now that we're free to gallivant, everything is closed! They closed down the New Mexico State Parks for overnight camping and then they shut them down completely  on Monday. Can't even go kayaking.

We're gonna stay in New Mexico for the next couple of months,  work on projects as long as the hardware stores stay open.  Can't buy anything but food,  staples at Amazon for the foreseeable future.  Signed up for Netflix.

My 39 year old son got the virus five days ago.  It went right to his lungs and the myalgia was horrible.  He cycles and runs hundreds of miles a week and now is short of breath just talking on the phone and gets faint if he sits up too long.  He said "Mumsy,  whatever you do,  don't get this.  It's really bad". But, since he can't get tested,  he doesn't have it, right?  He was going to go back to work next week if he was better,  but his job is gone as of today.
Ted
Very sorry to hear about your son. It is a tough time for him and of course increased stress on you with the extra worry about him.

With all the problems of testing in the USA not being easy to get and taking a long time for results and the drive in workers not changing gloves between each person they are testing being very disheartening news there is some good news from outside of the USA.

Japan now has a blood test they are distributing that gives results in 15 minutes and is sensitive enough to detect the virus in its early stages. It only takes a small drop of blood. But it is not for home use, it is being sold to research and testing institutions. They are hoping to be able to produce enough of the kits in the near future for 10,000 test a day. Each kit can be used for up to 10 test.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/03/13/national/kurabo-coronavirus-test-kits/

But isn't it great new to think that such a test that could be done with a finger prick and that it could be someday become available for home testing not just for this particular virus but potentially for any new pandemics that might come along?

I came across this article when looking at the Covid 19 news for Japan as my son and his wife are currently living there.

WalkaboutTed said:

Ted
Thank you for this post. It's a really good dose of reality. Keyboard Marcus Welby's are wearing me out. I wish you and your son the best

MotorVation said:
Thank you for this post. Keyboard Marcus Welby's are wearing me out.

+1. Everyone on this forum has access to the web and all the info they need.

Firebuild said:
You're comparing apples to wood grain. People dying in car accidents is a constant that is predictable. This is not. It's completely different.

I strongly believe in the rights of individual sto decide what level of risk is acceptable for themselves. But this in not personal risk; it's risk to others, risk to the community, and the risk is real. 

All the panic is ridiculous - buying out food and toilet paper is totally silly, but closing down public gatherings doesn't belong in the same box at all. It is a sensible response. Most people who get this will just feel under the weather for a while, and some won't even really notice it all that much. But there are vulnerable people out there. And people connected to vulnerable people. 

My friend's daughter works with a guy who went to Italy and never mentioned it to anyone. He wasn't sick. He came to work after his trip, and someone else in the office is now hospitalized. They tested everyone, and the Italy visitor tested positive, even though he didn't feel sick at all. Everyone from the office is on self-quarantine. My friend, because her daughter lives with her, is on self-quarantine. 

Imagine if I go to coffee with my friend and unknown to me I bring it into my 82 year old cancer survivor mother's home. I'm pretty sure her system is too compromised to handle an illness with 3 times the mortality rate of the flu, that doesn't have a defined season like the flu, and that has no vaccine (yet). 

So.... what's more important - your right to drink coffee in public, or my mother's life?  That sounds super extreme but it just isn't.  I'm not afraid of the virus. But I'm afraid that people no longer have the ability to put the common good above their own desires, and I'm afraid people are dumb enough to riot over things like toilet paper.

Absolutely. Two people very dear to me have non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. No way am I going near them, nor can I even go near other family members. I can't protect them from encountering the virus, but I sure can prevent them from encountering the virus via ME.

And since I feel that way about my loved ones, I'm going to do my damnedest to protect other people's loved ones as well.

badmotorscooter said:
It's just the first thing that popped up when I googled it.  In this age of misinformation online one could probable find multiple statistics that are different.

If gives us the ability to choose what we like!

Check the date. It may not be misinformation, it may merely be old. Yesterday, NYC cases doubled.

Why follow the White House memo? Better for the country, better for me altho inconvenient, better for some old farts and young ones too that I care about.   ~crofter

15 days memo from the White House
https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/03.16.20_coronavirus-guidance_8.5x11_315PM.pdf

Current stats from CDC
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html#reporting-cases

Current stats from Arizona: none along the Colorado River prime camping areas, more in the urban areas.
https://www.azdhs.gov/

Looking at the location of coronavirus cases in Southern Cali, also few cases in the camping areas along the Colorado River as of 3-18-2020.  Areas where there have been more cases reported are farther west in the more populated areas. It is possible that there is a sick camper or two who has not reported.   ~crofter

Tony\ said:
I am not trying to play this down, it can be a serious situation.  Keeping things in proper perspective is very important.  More people have died in car accidents this year then have died of this virus.  Should driving be considered a pandemic?  Be smart in everything you do.
“First of all, I think that’s a false equivalency to compare traffic accidents with (coronavirus) — that’s totally way out,” said Fauci. “When you have something new and it’s emerging, and you really can’t predict totally the impact it’s going to have, and you take a look at what’s gone on in China and you see what’s going on right now — right now — in Italy, and what’s happening in New York City, I don’t think with any moral conscience you can say, ‘Why don’t we just let it rip and happen and let ‘x’ percent of the people die.' I don’t understand that reasoning at all.”
Dr. Fauci

I heard from a friend that if areas go into lock down one of the approved reasons for travel will be outdoor recreation. Hope that is the case.

MaTaLa said:
Not to be contentious, I am not worrying about anything
I also don't ingest corporate 'news', including so called experts. They all have agendas and none of them are in my best interest.

Being primarily a remote boondocking fan, I am already doing what's best for me, and oters, during the hysteria. If fact, this present scenario, social breakdown, was one of the variables I factored into my vision of my rig.

I am going to continue to camp on blm, National Forest dispersed camping and state trust land till they inform me of their intent to arrest/confine me.

I will eat my hat if more freedom and liberty are not eroded away as a result of this..

My heart goes out to urban van dwellers.

I 100% agree with this post. We need to put things in perspective here.

Though I regret and feel for anyone coming to harm, the current known infection rate in the United States, and this is rounding up pretty significantly, is 0.008%. 99.992% are currently unaffected by the virus itself.

But how many people are affected by the economic damage of not being able to work, or their investments crashing? How many people are affected by the panic that's causing products not to be available? How many people are affected by their freedom being curtailed, and without due process?

Looking purely at the statistics, and not even making other value judgements, the effects of human behavior right now are exponentially worse than the effects of the actual illness.

$.02,

Harley.

Sure it sucks to lose your job, your investments and such and not to (temporarily) get the products you want but to most people it would suck even more to lose your life.