Dome Lights

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqueg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an econoline van with two domelights, and there is no switch to turn them off. There are lots of times when I want to open a door without having the dome lights come on.

Suggestions?

do a search with these keywords "universal dome light led switch"
That should bring up a variety of aftermarket dome lights that have switches and are made to be easy to install

I often read Escapees and Sportsmobile forums. The Escapees have a lot of members with money and big and small rigs mostly camping in RV parks. Sportsmobile members mostly boondock offroad. Their vehicles are lifted and look mean and dirty. (I want one.) Most of those members don't think about cost saving measures, only buying what they want. I did buy swivel seats from a member who does group buys. I glean a little information from many sources. Here is a link to Sportsmobile concerning dome lights and many ways to deal with the problem. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f20/how-to-disable-courtesy-lights-9488.html

Check to see if the dome light itself has a switch. They are usually a three position.
Off- constant on- on with door opening or headlight switch.

if you only want to make the light not come on when you open a door that's an easy mod. just put a switch in the circuit. now if you want the switch to turn the light on and off as well as the door switch that's a little more difficult but still not real hard. highdesertranger

It took a bit of fiddling to figure how to turn off the dome lights in my Express. I don't want/need them to ever come on. If I hadn't found the way to turn them off I would've removed the bulbs.

The way most dome lights work is the bulb always gets power and there are several ground wires at the doors that connect to switches. When the door opens, the switch closes allowing the electricity to flow to ground. This completes the electrical circuit and the light comes on.

You can disconnect the wire that goes to the door if you never want the light to come on with that door. You could also put in a type of latch that would keep the door switch from coming out when the door opens. or put a switch inline like HDR suggested.