Doing it. Need help with storage places

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LERCA

Reaction score
I can’t do this anymore. I’m worried about my dog, she hates her little spot which maybe bigger. The carpenter promised he would start my car in March. I found a nice buildout but they aren’t doing them anymore or on my Honda. So this guy will do it and for a fair price. I also need tires.

The deal is I need a 5’x5’ storage unit. Here the absolute cheapest is $67. Before you fall over there are others for 3’x3’ for $87. No lie. I was thinking of something near the California border where when I have to go to California I can pick up my stuff but not for so much. I can’t afford it and and it won’t fit in my car.
There must be many nomads who travel between Ca and AZ and use some inexpensive storage (please no rat!)

Only thing I can recommend is trying different locations.
I was looking for storage a few years back in the DC area, prices varied quite a bit location to location even in the same company.
There was as much as a $20 difference for a location just a few miles down the road from another location.
It was really crazy the pricing variances.

Storage shed prices are not based upon what it cost vendor to own and maintaining it it’s based upon a computer program that puts a higher price on units based upon their availability. If you’re looking for a 10 x 10 and they have dozens of them Open you’re going to have a lower price. You may look for that same unit and there are only a few available you’re paying a higher price. They also factor in what competition has available at the time too. I have 25 by tens at the same location and paying $30 more per month for one or the other based upon what was available when I rented it.

I had a storage unit for a few years that ended up costing $200 a month for a 5x10. Ultimately about 60% of what was in it, I ended up throwing away, having paid thousands of dollars to keep it in storage all those years. Moral of that story for me, was that what I think is important today, will be meaningless next week when someone without insurance totals my only car.

Make sure you really need - not just want - everything you put in the storage unit, so you can get the one that is the least expensive.

Make 2 trips, fist trip is to move the not immediately needed stuff to a much cheaper storage unit near the AZ blm camping. The cost savings of the storage will cover the cost of the extra trip within a couple of months time. Quartzsite is near the Califonia border. People drive to Blythe Ca for grocery shopping, that is how close it is to California. It is right on on I-10.

Doesn't sound like you have a lot of stuff, would a trailer be an option?
Even buying one, would set you back a bit initially but trailers seem to hold value fairly well, you could sell and make some of that cost back.

I have almost nothing but the absolute basic and some photos etc that I can’t bring myself to throw away. I’m the anti-hoarder but I still have too much. If I had a van it would fit easily.
I know things don’t matter (I had a fire, I know) but some things like clothes I can’t afford to replace. I’m going to go through my stuff again. It’s funny because I always joked about being a minimalist but there’s a big difference between that and having nothing.

I thought about Blythe since a lot of my coworkers moved there. Or Arizona may be cheaper.

What’s a trailer? The kind you tow? My CRV limit is only 1200 lbs (believe me I’ve been looking at every tiny trailer and fiberglass and empty they just make the limit.
At worst I’ll pay the storage then figure it out when I have a bit more money in a year.

""The carpenter promised he would start my car in March. I found a nice buildout but they aren’t doing them anymore or on my Honda. So this guy will do it and for a fair price. ""

Pirate Camp is out here in the Quartzsite desert helping friends build out their rigs everyday-of-the-week for FREE....

What are your plans for the CRV ?

WHAT?! Dang, I need to just load all my crap up and head out there!

I looked for storage last January around Parker and Havasu and found overpriced storage. 

There is one at Havasu that is well maintained and has a shower but was overpriced as well as not nice to me. I am not willing to pay anything for bad service, especially rude bad service.
-crofter

A quick check of self storage places in Yuma shows 5x7 units for $37/mo.

Parker and Havasu have a lot of demand. Close to AZ-95 will be premium.

Try some place not so popular, yet somewhat convenient.

abnorm said:
""The carpenter promised he would start my car in March. I found a nice buildout but they aren’t doing them anymore or on my Honda. So this guy will do it and for a fair price. ""

Pirate Camp is out here in the Quartzsite desert helping friends build out their rigs everyday-of-the-week for FREE....

What are your plans for the CRV ?

Abnorm’s pirate camp. Can’t miss it.

55842f36f0075787626198a71a02d297.jpg

You need to realize that when you look on the internet for storage places you will mostly be seeing the more expensive ones. But there are lots more around that just stick up signs on a fence with a phone number for local people to call . They do not advertise on websites, in phonebooks although sometimes they post ads in the cheap or free places.

So you really can't jump to conclusions that all storage places in an area are going for the same price. Driving around on the back streets in Quartzsite I see plenty of small and large storage plaves associated with small RV parks. But also some newer places too. None of them are part of one of the big chain places you see in metro areas.