dogs paws

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshuafarmer

Reaction score
not sure on how my dog would be in desert landscape any precautions for a Michigan dogs paws acclimating or what? he is a fourty something pound doxin/pit mix

me and the dog king this is the best pic I have right nowSnapshot_20171124.JPG

Attachments

• Snapshot_20171124.JPG
    Snapshot_20171124.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 20
the pads will toughen up on their own. however this could be extremely painful for your pooch. I have heard to rub rubbing alcohol on them several times a day, don't know I have never tried. there are dog boots. some people I know have had good luck with them. what ever you do try to get their pads toughened up with the least pain possible. so don't leave the boots on 24/7. to the east of the RTR there are several Cholla gardens. we call them jumping Cholla because it seems they jump out to get you. dogs have a very hard time in the gardens, it's best to stay away. carry needle nose pliers with you. highdesertranger

HDR, I could have sworn that you had a set on your dog one year at RTR.  I think he ate them the first day.

i hike/walk my puppers on a variety of surfaces, including asphalt roads (though not in the hottest heat of summer!)
I do think their pads are toughest based on the road walking, so would encourage you to walk your dog as much as possible on sidewalks or roads before getting to desert - can't hurt to start off toughened up.

i am most worried about the cholla that gets mentioned -- even on leash my dogs keep their noses to the ground, sniffing, checking out everything. I want to avoid that stuff for sure once I get out there!

hahaha, no that wasn't me. my dog has been out doors all day for his whole life running around the ranch so he had tough pads. but since we sold the ranch he hasn't been as active. so I must watch his paws this year. he has even gained weight. highdesertranger

thankyou everyone for your info my pup has not started life out so great being a rescue dog so I want him to be as happy and healthy as possible

High Desert is right their paws will toughen up you just have to pay attention and make sure they don't get raw before they get calloused I have two service dogs and we've been from the east coast to the West Coast sandspurs goat heads lava rock just like us walking barefoot could damage their feet all we have to do is be aware and they'll be okay

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

Holy cripes, steer clear the cholla! My dog got in some b4 I knew exactly what it was.

His 1st instinct was to pull it out of his paws with his mouth. Had to carry him out of cholla patch back to truck.

Then spent almost an hour pulling out the evil plant with needle nosed pliers including from his throat and gums.

Do not come to the desert without the needle nose, don't know what I'd have done without them.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Yikes and ouch!  Thanks for the heads up on those. Don't want my little getting in those.

AdventurousAdriana said:
I really love using Musher's Secret on my dogs paws for rough terrain (hot/rocky terrain, ice, snow):

https://www.amazon.com/Mushers-Secr...477322&sr=8-3&keywords=mushers+secret+paw+wax

thanks I will have to check that stuff out, I noticed him favoring his rear paws the other day when we came inside from the cold and snow. he was better once his paws warmed up, maybe I can take him out a bit longer with this on, he wont be pullin a sled or anything so maybe it will last a while :D

tav-2020 said:
I do think their pads are toughest...

But it's not always about pads. Thorns, spines, even really stiff dry grass can stab and break off between their toes.

MrNoodly said:
But it's not always about pads. Thorns, spines, even really stiff dry grass can stab and break off between their toes.

Very true.  Mushers Secret won't protect against that.  I always do a check once we get back from hiking or other outdoor adventures by 1) checking between the pads of the feet for stickers, burrs, and foxtails.  If i had applied mushers secret before the hike I'd wipe the leftovers off with a soft towel.  2) Feel all over the body for stickers or other things that should not be there.  3) Brush/pull out the found stickers - this is especially important for me because my pup has a thick double coat and HATES having stuff stuck in it.  He will spend a long time ripping the stickers out himself and can damage his coat and skin if I leave it to him. :-/   In fact, it's so important that I keep his brush with me in his backpack/canine 1st aid kit!

Latest posts