Dogs at national parks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooManyDogs

Reaction score
It seems most NPs don't allow dogs on back country trails. My question is: what do I do with them if I want to go hike/run some of the trails? Is it allowed to leave them unsupervised in the van for two hours or so in the parking areas? (Assuming the temps/environmental conditions are safe for them, of course.) What have you done with your pets in these cases?

Since it's National Park rangers who enforce the regulations in National Parks, it would be up to them as to whether it is legal to leave your pets in your vehicle in the parking lots.

You may have to find doggie day care places for them in a nearby town or kennel them overnight.

In a lot of states it is strictly against the law to do so and unfortunately they didn't set a temperature setting for it so it doesn't matter if it is 40 F or 70, it's still against the law.

This and the logistics of even simple things like doing grocery shopping is why I decided not to have another pet when my last dog passed away.

In a van it is particularly difficult, not so much in a full scale RV, even a Class C where you've got roof top air and a built in generator. Actually, when I had the big Winnebago, it was easy - draw the curtains, fire the gennie, turn on air. .

Traveling with pets is tough. We have 2 larger senior dogs and have always traveled with pets. You'll need to check each park individually for the rules. We were in Tucson, AZ (Pima County) and you could never leave your dog alone in the car even in the winter and we couldn't leave our dog unattended in the trailer at the RV park, so............

Did you see this recent thread: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-10-Dog-Friendly-National-Parks One has to plan around having a pet. We won't get any after these two move on to the next dimension.

I did read that thread-seems the parks out west are more dog-friendly. Unfortunately I'm in TN.

Not being able to hike with them or to leave them for a bit really defeats the purpose of my going to the Park.

I am planning a trip to Cherokee NF in a couple of months. I hear they're really lenient there. NFs in general...

National Forests and National Parks are two completely separate different animals.

The rules are different, the entire focus is different.

It is wise to learn to differentiate between the two.

You should have no problems in a National Forest! You will have most definite problems in a National Park.

Yes, I'm learning the difference between NF and NP. Apparently you don't even have to stay on trail at NFs. Not that I'll be tromping through the woods unchecked but it's nice that they are so "free". But I really want to visit our NPs. With my dogs. Bah!

One of the advantages of no longer having pets is it allows you more freedom to go places with less responsibilities and therefore less hassles. I now get to enjoy other peoples pets as well as lizards, rabbits, coyotes, bobcats, and even the silver foxes I had to chase out of my motor home when I left the door open that my dogs would never have allowed around.

The people who had dogs in national parks are the REASON for not having dogs in national parks.

Well, the bad dog owners who had dogs anywhere are the ones that have caused the problems for the good dog owners. We all know them "the rules don't apply to me" people.

You can bet your sweet ass I am out of this conversation.