Does TX recognize a homeless shelter address for legal residence purposes?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchanRV

Reaction score
I'm probably going to let my current apartment lease expire at the end of September and car-dwell for a year or so, which will help me pay off a big chunk of my debt as I continue to work at my remote job. I was going to renew my Real ID before then to help me show a residential address, but I've decided I don't want to drive around with what amounts to phony ID info. And I'm a bit leery of using the virtual mailbox services as proof of residence. So, will the State of Texas allow me to use a homeless shelter address as my permanent address for my Real ID and other legal proof of residence?

For advice I would check with Escapees. com as their headquarters is in Livingston Texas and they have been around for many years now.

Thanks. I talked to them, and it sounds like their mailbox service works just fine for everybody except the occasional bank that pushes back against it -- in which case, I could just switch to another bank.

Escapees has been a great resource for many people but things do change. With their large membership they have in the past been able to influence and work with industries and government to help people live on the road full time. They can help with many areas and problems in my experience.

I second Bullfrog in this. Escapees is the way to go, IMO.

Curiously, I have had trouble using my credit card for Wal-Mart pickup payment because of my escapees address. No bank trouble, no credit card trouble, just walmart trouble! They dont mind me using my debit card though. I'd sure rather use my CC, because I get cash back, and also because I don't like to use my debit account online.

But I digress. I tell anyone who asks that if they don't want to court multiple address issues down the road, just do Escapees. They've made it so easy.

The one problem still can't solve for the life of me is the question of auto insurance. I have a standard policy under the current address/city, but if I try to make a claim I'm afraid it'll be denied and/or I'll be thrown in the dungeon for insurance fraud. Escapees says I can give the insurance company their PMB for domicile purposes, but I don't know whether that solves the question of where my car is considered "garaged." And of course I can't qualify for RV insurance if I don't actually own an RV....

There are a lot of grey areas and different situations, Escapees has to deal with most all of them. I would take their recommendation. My insurance company has never asked where my vehicle is "garaged" and I don't volunteer information I'm not asked for. You will find many here do that as a general rule. Our lifestyle is difficult for most people not familiar with it to understand that is why I would see if Escapees can recommend an Independent agent or company their members deal with on a regular basis if you have concerns.