Does anyone have stairs like these?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebuild

Reaction score
I have a set of Brophy scissor steps I bought on Craigslist. They are perfect for the back door of my short bus. 

scissor 1.jpg scissor 2.jpg

According to the manufacturer they are intended to be mounted only when stationary and removed for travel, and the bracket they supply works for that. However, they're constantly in my way inside the bus; I don't really have a great place to keep them. I would like to figure out how to permanently attach them to the rear bumper, where the temporary mount now lives.  I count just mount them permanently to that bar but I'm afraid they'd bounce around because they're a little heavy. Has anyone figured out a good way to secure these for travel? Maybe bungee them into a higher-up position against the door or something, then let them down for use? 

Here's a link to the steps, which I definitely like a lot except for the fact I keep stubbing my toe on them as they sit around inside, folded up. 

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...ophy/SS03.html[/font]

Attachments

• scissor 1.jpg
    scissor 1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 6
  • scissor 2.jpg
    scissor 2.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 8
I use a lenght of chain inside short sections of PVC pipe mounted a little above waist high on my truck camper on one end and on the other end mounts to the last step as sort of a short hand rail when the steps are extended. When folded up I slide the section of PVC out of it's coupler which alloows me to use the exposed chain link and a washer with a wing nut to secure the folded steps on the tail gate.

Ratchet straps, perhaps. Or better yet, weld the top to the bus first, then hold the bundle together with ratchet straps.

bullfrog said:
I use a lenght of chain inside short sections of PVC pipe mounted a little above waist high on my truck camper on one end and on the other end mounts to the last step as sort of a short hand rail when the steps are extended.  When folded up I slide the section of PVC out of it's coupler which alloows me to use the exposed chain link and a washer with a wing nut to secure the folded steps on the tail gate.

That sounds like just the thing. Any chance you could post a photo?

MrNoodly said:
Ratchet straps, perhaps. Or better yet, weld the top to the bus first, then hold the bundle together with ratchet straps.

Unfortunately welding is beyond my skill level. I'll give some thought to ratchet straps, thanks.