Does anyone custom build polyethylene holding tanks?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ainley53

Reaction score
Want to use polyethylene tanks for my gray and black water. I already have a 48 gallon fresh water tank given to me by a friend. I have the area behind the rear wheels available on the driver's side of my bus. I'm putting the fresh water tank on the passenger side and will build the kitchen in that rear corner. Bathroom and shower will be in the rear corner on the driver's side and dump directly into the tanks. Looking for a gray water tank of 24"W x 26"L x 16"H (43 gallons) and a black water tank of 16"W x 22"L x 16"H (24 gallons). Or something close to that. So far the closest I can find is The Tank Depot. They have a 40 gallon tank (24"W x 26"L x 15"H) for $312 plus $60 S&H, plus $40 for fittings; and a 14 gallon tank (14"W x 20"L x 12"H) for $165, plus $60 S&H, plus $40 for fittings. While the sizes and dimensions are close enough the prices are a killer.

Since I mounted a second fuel tank on the driver's side of the bus; the space behind the battery box is no longer available for holding tanks. They have to go behind the rear wheels. The 2 spaces behind the differential (24"W x 24"L each) are reserved for an air tank and a horizontal propane tank.

ainley53 said:
While the sizes and dimensions are close enough the prices are a killer.

I'd be willing to bet that any custom tank will cost as much, or more, than the ones from these tank suppliers.

Google Bontrager's Surplus and Johnson Supply for RV surplus. Both are in White Pigeon, MI.

Custom tanks will always be more expensive. I've seen some DIY tanks in builds, but they were either stainless/welded, or something I thought was silly because it either wouldn't last or took so much time and materials I figured be better off just buying it. This is a site I have bookmarked and have seen many people use: http://www.plasticwatertanks.com/c/chv2c/rv-water-and-holding-tanks

42 Gallon RV Holding Tank 42 Gallons 24" 22" 20" RVHB510 $179.99 ........ http://www.plasticwatertanks.com/p/nvsn1/42-gallon-rv-waste-holding-tank-ronco-rvb510

21 Gallon RV Holding Tank 21 Gallons 19.875" 16.875" 16.375" RVHB281 $159.99 ............ http://www.plasticwatertanks.com/p/hv61s/21-gallon-rv-waste-holding-tank-ronco-rvb281

A couple features I've seen with black tanks I have on list (before I decided composting was a better option for me) are: 1) clean-out assembly...like a sprinkler inside tank to rinse it, 2) good sender unit to tell level of fullness, 3) macerator: a garbage disposal on the drain end lets us use garden hose to empty, eliminates clogs and everyone who has one swears by it, and 4) design so gray water tanks drains through black to provide additional rinse.

Elkhart, Indiana is the capitol of RV builders and there are several surplus dealers there. You should be able to find your tanks and lots of other goodies.

Please take a moment to consider that full tanks on one side, and empty tanks on the other can lead to some serious handling problems.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Please take a moment to consider that full tanks on one side, and empty tanks on the other can lead to some serious handling problems.

While this is very true for a van, or other light vehicle, I doubt he will notice it much in the bus. It's basically a medium duty truck chassis, so that amount of weight is fairly negligible. Now if he doubled the tank sizes it might start to come into play.