• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Dodge Ram High Top?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awilder

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG-1683.JPG
    IMG-1683.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 8871522D-022A-4635-AF20-4BA6E2932FBE-211-0000000CE7485CCB.JPG
    8871522D-022A-4635-AF20-4BA6E2932FBE-211-0000000CE7485CCB.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 23
The only advice you should take from me is to get a pro to look at it. The frame looks like more than surface to me. But remember I am an amature. But it does like something I would want to get checked out by a body, frame or inspection mechanic. If you seller is honest they will not mind having someone look.

Thank you. He said he had it looked at at Firestone and they said it's surface rust, they could fix it if he wanted, but he chose not to. I guess I wonder even if it is surface rust, once you fix something like that, will it continue to spread? Even if what can be seen is fixable, is this vehicle not worth time put into making it into a custom livable space? Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from the rust belt. Rust is like an iceberg, you only see 10% of it.

don't take a sellers word for anything.... pay for your own inspection if you don't feel competent enough to craw under there and check it yourself.

Thank you! I definitely will get it inspected, if I go. It's just further away than I'd like to go (with a toddler) so was wondering if anyone would convince me out of it and save me the trip. :)

it depends on if you need something immediately and you only need to use it for a few years. i just had a horrible experience where i put in thousands on a head gasket and brake job on my Subaru Outback only to have the rear strut tower rust out and make the car toast! never again, and and i second the anti-rustbelt sentiment of B&C...good luck.
jim

I refuse to on Face. but from looking at those pics that is more than just surface rust. what's that hanging down in front of the rear axle? it appears to be a wire harness or a hose. the driver door has rust below the lower molding and possibly the rocker panel.

highdesertranger

If you're going to look at Dodges join a Dodge forum and ask questions there.

They will know where and what to look for when it comes to rust problems.

(Same for Ford or Chevy,etc.)

And you will get a heads up on other problems owners are experiencing. 
-crofter