Dodge 1500 Cargo Van - $4500: Impressions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPDX

Reaction score
Not a lot of information but I'd be interested in folks' impressions- I'd likely use this for extended boondocking- not racking up huge milage but slowly crawling around the remote west.  I would, of course gut it- add solar and a practical build.

Is the Chevy 1500 with this mileage and of this era a good base to work on?

I'm emailing the seller for more info.

Thx, jj

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/5639517651.html

1999 Dodge 1500 Cargo Van
condition: good
cylinders: 8 cylinders
fuel: gas
odometer: 166000
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: van

This van is ideal for converting to a camper van for that cross country road trip!

It's my grandpas and he used to use it to transport my grandma in her wheel chair. He doesn't need it anymore.

It's a bit dirty as he has just been using it to go to the post office and back, but it only has 166k miles. He has always kept up on maintenance and if something broke he hired a professional.

It's currently equipped to seat 7 but all seats can be removed.

As you can see it has the extended top and the inside is insulated. I'm 6'2 and can stand straight up inside with room to spare!

It needs some TLC, but is a rock solid vehicle! Really strong V8 engine.

Attachments

• Dodge 1500.jpg
    Dodge 1500.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 15
Going to drive an hour north and take a look.  I'm not extremely auto-mechanical but a thorough look over and drive should inform my Gut, I hope!  It seems at least $2000 above the general price for a 1999 Chevy 1500 with similar miles but then it has a high top.  If it feels good and looks like it can be cleaned up and has "good bones" for a home, I'll off $3000.
Then will "price to sell" the Lift Gate.
We will see....
jj

I'm not sure why you refer to a Dodge as a Chevy a couple times, but there's a difference between them ;)

I think $4k is just nutz for that vehicle...you can tell nobody has given it ANY TLC in a very long time. If they can't be bothered to clean it up a little, odds are they couldn't be bothered to change the oil or do any of the many things that might make a vehicle with 166k miles on it worth more than it perhaps could be. Fair chance you'll be looking at a tranny before long.

I just don't get a good feel about it...that looks like something that should be closer to $2,000 OBO.

And I saw someone posted earlier of the "conventional wisdom" being it's hard to sell a chair lift. Great that it worked out for them, but in the end I couldn't even GIVE mine away and it was a pretty shiney Braun. I do live at the ass-end of the country, but still...don't take it for a given.

BradKW said:
I'm not sure why you refer to a Dodge as a Chevy a couple times, but there's a difference between them  ;)

I think $4k is just nutz for that vehicle...you can tell nobody has given it ANY TLC in a very long time. If they can't be bothered to clean it up a little, odds are they couldn't be bothered to change the oil or do any of the many things that might make a vehicle with 166k miles on it worth more than it perhaps could be. Fair chance you'll be looking at a tranny before long.

I just don't get a good feel about it...that looks like something that should be closer to $2,000 OBO.

And I saw someone posted earlier of the "conventional wisdom" being it's hard to sell a chair lift. Great that it worked out for them, but in the end I couldn't even GIVE mine away and it was a pretty shiney Braun. I do live at the ass-end of the country, but still...don't take it for a given.

Thx!  I was having some sort of Van dyslexia.....
And I agree...it could be one spooky deal... I'll tread lightly.

Stuff adds up in weight when building a camper. Things like water, batteries, solar panels, food, storage cabinets, camping gear, propane, ice chest/ refrigerator, bedding, clothes, etc. You will be pretty close to maxing out a half ton. Most professional class B conversions are based on 3/4 or one ton chassis. If you are thinking of extended days of camping a larger capacity van may be better for you, especially if you may end up towing something like a trailer.

I am with the rest of the posters.

A 1500 is not a good base for a high top dwelling.  

I can see it being dirty, as Grandpa has not had time to wash it, and grandson ~~~?

The dents make me worried, as does the lift in a 1/2 ton.   Needs TLC?  RED FLAG!

Sorry, but dirty isn't going to win me any friends....

I'd check the repair records...Call them on the bluff, if they say "Oh I got rid of them" RED FLAG...

Left side of Bumper is damaged...OUCH!!

I can't see the drivers side...Be careful!!

166K , that's a LOT of trips to the postoffice !

Thank you all... red flags finally noticed by this very naive newbie. After 1 exchange of emails, seller stopped replying- so rude too!

And in the ensuing days I did a crash course in basic Van nomenclature- 1500, 2500, 3500. I'm not is an urgent hurry, so narrowing my search to 3500s or special-case 2500s. The idea of adding a new/used High Top is also appealing.

Thx again for your opinions...its going a long learning curve for this pilgrim.

jj

If it looks like it's been sitting a long time, it probably has. He says "...he has just been using it to go to the post office and back...". Well, maybe he has and maybe he hasn't. Maybe it's just been sitting for the last two years and the seals have been drying out (etc). Look at the most-recent registration and see what the address says. If it's a street address, they don't go to the P.O. Lies multiply like mosquitoes when someone is selling a vehicle.

For any used vehicle, insist that your mechanic check it over before you make any payment. If you don't have a good mechanic, find one (ask your friends). My mechanic charges $125 for a complete examination, and it takes about an hour.

Used vehicles on the West Coast are priced higher than they are in the South or Midwest, so beware advice on the price.

Or on the other hand.......the green mould on the roof is not an issue, hard place to clean, especially for grandpa, common on the PNW, the seats are all a mismatch inside but they will all be removed. I would suggest leaving them with the seller along with the lift and let him sell it, I would suggest lowering the price and he could make a small fortune on the furniture. I would go and have a look at it if it was me, it is a hightop and it looks like it may even be insulated. the issue of being a 1/2 ton wouldn't worry me, it would mean you would have to make your build light weight which is not a problem if you do your research. the front looks clean and in my mind he is showing you the dents in the rear door and the bumper which are minor, you could either knock that dent out or get a used door from a wrecker, the bumper can be twisted back into some kind of shape, I have to assume the sides are good, these are good vehicles and go well. I guess it depends how many hightops come up in your area. this one does not look rusty, if the front seats are clean and the cab is ok I would say that this could be a good platform. if you pay 500 or 1000 dollars more then you think you should in a years time that will make absolutely no difference especially if by then you have gained confidence in it. Driving an hour north is your only commitment at this time so if you have a couple of extra hours go up there and take it for a drive, not one person has responded in a positive way to this vehicle it is obviously in your budget, it has a hightop, it may be insulated, it may be straight other then the rear door and bumper, it may be well maintained mechanically all the rest the dirt, the 1500, dried hoses etcccc all the what ifs are exactly that, a bunch of what ifs. The question you have to ask yourself is it worth me having a look at it. He is probably annoyed at you after being armed with all this negativity bringing it to him while perhaps he was just trying to tell it as it is. but who knows .......

TrainChaser said:
Used vehicles on the West Coast are priced higher than they are in the South or Midwest, so beware advice on the price.

Thx for this observation- I thought I had noticed the same thing but figured I hadn't found the trove of great deals that appear more regularly elsewhere...

i'm with kurbmaster on this one,nothing there to scare me off,you simply cant tell from an ad you must inspect in person and a smooth running/driving 99 van with hightop at 4k is a good price,go check it out,got nothing to lose