Do you work/live without a net?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you work/live without a net?" I am with Gunny I have lived so long without a net it is the norm for me. Now is the biggest net I have ever had, 3,ooo.oo. I really believe in having emergency plans in mind. I don't want to be out on the road and make my problem everyone else's. So until I read this thread my plan was have enough to rent a car back to hometown and go to the homeless shelter until I got up and running again. But I worked at that homeless shelter so my comfort level is very high. I have helped people get services all my life so I can access them without shame, pride or fear. Understand many would not want to do this!

I believe life experience and personality along with money really figure into these safety net issues. What some people don't mind, would drive other's crazy. I think of my two daughters, one I believe is not naturally cut out for this life, the other one would love it.

For me something is always going "wrong" I have learned if it is not essential to keep going, example my tail gate is rusted out and the other day it almost fell off I was so happy I could get it latched and back up ! So now I climb over, I won't be able to lower it and sit and watch the sunset like I was envisioning. But my back was hurting reaching in so it will be better physically to climb in. So I just adapt, living on the road in different cultures taught me this.

Thanks for asking question Queen

I have several forms of safety net and I believe each of them to be equally important.

In no particular order:

An emergency fund equal to what I would expect to have to put out to put my life back in order if it all went upside down in a heartbeat. To me that means being able to replace all that I own and get back on the road of freedom. To some that means a couple of thousand, to others it could mean 10 times that.

Medical coverage with a deductible that I can live with. See above re emergency fund.

Friends who would do whatever they could do for me. Important even when in a S&B. I was sick a year ago with severe cold/bronchitis, laryngitis ad nauseum. My friends did shopping for me, even emergency shopping. They brought me meals as well and checked up on me frequently. The only thing they wouldn't do was visit with me, I got handed stuff through the door while they ran in the opposite direction...chickens.... :D :D I have seen the community here, time and again, pull together to help someone with whatever they needed, be it dog sitting/walking, meals, repairs, transportation, problem solving, you name it! It's no different!

The ability to problem solve is a great form of safety net. If I'm faced with a set of circumstances beyond my control then being able to calmly and rationally figure out a plan of action IS a form of safety net. I firmly believe that it's a learned skill!

A source of income that is at least equal to my needs with a little bit left over for either fun or replacing money taken from the emergency fund. I lived for years with out both sufficient income and an emergency fund while I was a single parent raising three boys. It's not something I would ever wish on anyone nor would ever allow myself to be in that position again.

AltTransBikes said:
Vans make sense to me over owning an RV because of utility, economy and ease of handling. I own a van I could live in full time if I had to but I really own the vehicle because I like adventure. Having a home base is a comfort, albeit a humble one, and my simple answer to the OP's question of "Do you work/live without a net?"

You and I are answering different question. I'm answering the question "What does a full-time vandweller or RVers do in a medical emergency." 

You're answering the question "What does a Part-Timer with a home base do in a medical emergency." Yes, they are going to have very different answers. Were your sisters full-timers or part-timers?

For a part-timer, the idea of sending the rest of his life in one spot is probably just fine, not ideal but fine. For at least this full-timer, the idea of being in one spot for the rest of my life is repulsive. That's why I am a full-timer!!!! 

I'm fairly certain I would take my life before I would live in HUD senior housing. It's easy to say that now while I am healthy, but I'm certain that is not a quality of life i want for myelf. 

You and I are talking apples and oranges.
Bob

My heart goes all on this thread. Does your states have a Hospice Plan? I know of elderly friends and relatives here in Texas that has Hospice help after a surgery or other medical problems. When my mother was sick, Hospice would call to see if they could help us in any way and they will come to your location.  This is very helpful for some one who doesn't have anyone to help.

http://www.harborhospice.com/index.html

akrvbob said:
You and I are answering different question. I'm answering the question "What does a full-time vandweller or RVers do in a medical emergency." 

You're answering the question "What does a Part-Timer with a home base do in a medical emergency." Yes, they are going to have very different answers. Were your sisters full-timers or part-timers?

For a part-timer, the idea of sending the rest of his life in one spot is probably just fine, not ideal but fine. For at least this full-timer, the idea of being in one spot for the rest of my life is repulsive. That's why I am a full-timer!!!! 

I'm fairly certain I would take my life before I would live in HUD senior housing. It's easy to say that now while I am healthy, but I'm certain that is not a quality of life i want for myelf. 

You and I are talking apples and oranges.
Bob

I was attempting to answer on topic the original post, which I read as a question of basic human necessity, not so tightly wound with the need to be qualified as full/part time.

You may express with disdain the choices of my siblings but they of course, if asked, might inturn view your choices as capricious, unstable. For some, proscribing the infirm to live in a steel box in the Sonoran desert might seem more condemnation than uplifting..

For me, the idea of spending time at my place is more than fine, in fact that's the very thing, the oppportunity to discern a deep sense of place, connections with the earth, growing cycles, seed to fruit, sustainability, to plant a tree whose shade I'll not sit in. For me, a gateway to stream entry.

Speaking of apples, where do yours come from? Mine grow right outside my door.

I am like a spider, I keep building a larger net every chance I get, my theory is that it gives me more options.

Re my post 58: I did pick up my friend, but had to send him away before the work was done...
May 17: Saw the nurse practicioner today: I do not have valley fever, but there is some kind of infection in my lung. I am to get a CT chest scan, w/wo contrast, a 2DEcho (heart), a Basic Metabolic Panel, theollyphine levels, A Blood Gas test, and a couple of others. And I have three appointments with them over the next few weeks.
I'm still very short of breath (sob)
On the bright side, I went to my app early and managed to almost finish a small painting. :)

Glad it's not Valley Fever! Sorry you're still short of breath though, that is so wearing.

Thanks, Queen. Me too. She also said the doc said that section of the diaphragm hasn't been working for a long time. I see the doc in 3 weeks, I think. Apparently there's tests now to determine the problem, and maybe solutions, including possibly surgery.  But, she said that isn't the problem. This came on sort of suddenly.
They're checking to be sure insurance will cover the tests they want, and where I need to go to get one of them done.