Do you gussy up your tent?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqueg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pictures please! I'm especially interested in Clam shelters, but anything you do to your tent to make it more useful, I'm interested.

I'm thinking about adding some storage pockets to mine.

^Which one do you have and would you recommend it? I'm shopping for one.

I have the Venture, the 5-panel one. It accommodates a 4-foot folding table and my zero-gravity TimberRidge chair. 

The addition of that extra panel practically doubles the floor space.

I won't travel without my zero gravity chair, and it won't fit in the 4-panel Traveler. And I don't like to cook in my van, so I really like the extra protected space.

That said, I think you should get the smallest size that will work for you.

Attachments

• EFE68522-3264-4C67-8035-D8F1745DF1A0_1_105_c.jpeg
    EFE68522-3264-4C67-8035-D8F1745DF1A0_1_105_c.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 18
Jacque, I don't have this yet, but it is what I intend to get rather than hanging pockets, which I thought of but decided not to do because I would likely overload them and the universe would then tilt. Anyway, I intend to get a garden shepherd's hook and a 3-tier collapsible wire basket.

Do you leave the ground bare, or cover it? I'm getting another large rv rug for mine. I figure that will help protect the bottom end pole casings from sharp rocks and abrasion, along with making more barefoot space for me.

Do you light yours? Right now, I am leaning towards battery operated lights and using rechargable batteries. I'm also trying to figure out the best fan solution for my CLAM. No hurry for me. Cammalu and I have a plan for shopping this winter. I'm too far from anywhere to shop now.

I leave the ground bare, seems like a rug thick enough to do any good would be just one more large-ish lumpy thing I'd have to carry around. Although I might change my mind if I was camping somewhere that was already muddy, but that hasn't happened yet. If I did, I think I'd get some of those interlocking foam pieces.

I have a couple of these - https://www.amazon.com/SUBOOS-Ultra-Bright-Portable-Outdoor/dp/B00WWQTNOE/ref=sr_1_4 But I'm also contemplating finding a thrift store floor lamp, in case I want to knit at night. The CLAM site has a few accessories - https://shop.quicksetshelters.com/quick-set/accessories/fan-and-lights.html

I carry both a battery-operated fan and a 120v fan I can run with my portable power station.

Hadn't thought of the shepherdcrook and hanging wire basket, hmmmm....

I have one of these and thinking about getting a couple more - I hang it on the interior poles, but haven't found a really great method to keep it in place - https://www.niteize.com/product/GearLine.asp

And I also have an assortment of gear ties, which I bend into hooks, and attach to the interior poles - https://www.niteize.com/product/Gear-Tie-24.asp - they actually stay in place reasonably well as long as I don't try to hang anything too heavy on them. They'll hold fairly hefty things, but they won't stay in place on the poles!

Quick, easy pocket solution is the inexpensive off white canvas waist belt pockets sold at hardware stores. You can use fabric paint  to make them fun and colorfuful, glue on embellishments if you wish. Add some adjustable hooks or buckles or velcro on the tie strings to put them at the desired height on the X bracing. Glue or staple a paint stir stick to the back or sew a sleeve on the back for a stick to slide into, that will  keep the pockets in a straight line.

maki2 said:
Quick, easy pocket solution is the inexpensive off white canvas waist belt pockets sold at hardware stores. You can use fabric paint  to make them fun and colorfuful, glue on embellishments if you wish. Add some adjustable hooks or buckles or velcro on the tie strings to put them at the desired height on the X bracing. Glue or staple a paint stir stick to the back or sew a sleeve on the back for a stick to slide into, that will  keep the pockets in a straight line.

Hmmmmm, a stick and sleeve! Seems like that might work. Thanks!

My tent would look identical to MrNoodly's tent if I had control over it :)

My hubby is the tent guy....he has everything he can squeeze under there LOL
gussy up tho? not really cause on a holiday we might put up a few decorations, like over July 4 I put up whirrly gig on it and a few small flags and red/white/blue streamer LOL

One thing he does I do love is he puts an RV mat under it. I like having a 'floor' under the tent. He uses it more for an outside kitchen set up and I use it to hang laundry when needed...that tent sure is a great laundry dryer area :)

MrNoodlyI got this yesterday. Does a chair count ....

It counts as almost enough. You simply must have a table in there and some fairy lights even if they never get used.

That 4 sided popup shelter measures 6 feet by 6 feet inside. If you want to know if it fits your stuff just mark out a square that size on the ground and set your stuff inside that square and see if you can walk between objects. The top of the cooler makes a footrest or table top.