Do you consider yourself a resident of the area you park in?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

Reaction score
you just might be a "transient" or worse, a loitering vagrant...

(This will be a long post but for the topic and the information I'm trying to get out, I hope it does not violate the "keep it brief" rule, especially considering its in the off topic chit chat section.)

On another topic, one person said they felt there should be a seperate definition between somebody who chooses to live in a vehicle but could afford to pay for a fixed residence, and people who are forced into living in vehicles for economic reasons... I'm against that personally, but I'm trying to make sense of all these terms we use.

I was reading another forum on the 2009 City of Venice Beach CA overnight parking ordinance... it was kind of unique because at the time a group of "vehicle residents" faught against no over night parking ordinances and won (at least temporarily) and the city allowed overnight parking for city residents that lived in vehicles on some streets.

Its important to note, generally (though laws may vary) to be considered a resident of a city and qualify for various county services (* food banks, food stamps, county medical and dental clinics etc) you must live at the same street address for 30 days (this is when hotels stop charging you bed fees and added hospitality taxes) but this was a situation where these people lived in their cars for 30 days in the same locations and the city did consider them residents (at least for a short time as far as I know)

Side note: one posting forum member claimed he recieved a ticket because he was moving and fell asleep in the moving van, and when the police asked him if the moving van was his home he said no, the officer told him if he had said yes, they would not have given him a ticket for overnight parking.

another poster said "if we are calling these people vehicular residents, what are we going to start calling people who dont live in vehicles? cement residents? cardboard box residents?" etc.

this is from a legal dictionary...

What is TRANSIENT?
In poor-laws. A “transient person” is not exactly a person on a journey from one known place to another, but rather a wanderer ever on the tramp. Middlebury v. Waltham, 6 Vt. 203; Londonderry v. Landgrove, 66 Vt. 264, 29 Atl. 256. In Spanish law. A “transient foreigner” is one who visits the country, without the TRANSIRE 1168 TRAUMA intention of remaining. Yates v. lams, 10 Tex. 170.
Law Dictionary: http://thelawdictionary.org/transient/#ixzz2tNlyJVSk

but thats much better than the alternative... a Vagrant...

VAGRANT. Generally by the word vagrant is understood a person who lives idly without any settled home; but this definition is much enlarged by some statutes, and it includes those who refuse to work, or go about begging. See 1 Wils. R. 331; 5 East, R. 339: 8 T. R. 26.

A Law Dictionary, Adapted to the Constitution and Laws of the United States. By John Bouvier. Published 1856.

in short, vangrants dont have a fixed address, refuse to work, and beg for money.

Currently laws against vagrancy have been considered "status crimes" where rather than being considered a criminal for "doing" something illegal, your considered a criminal for "being" something illegal. most jurisdictions consider these unconstitutional as they exibit cruel and unusual punnishment and this has been backed up by succesful lawsuits.

BUT there are anti-loitering laws, laws which make it illegal to remain in a fixed and open location for various lengths of time, but there are other loitering type laws which make it illegal to sit or lean against walls or lay down on park benches etc.

anyhoo...

if you dont live at a fixed address, and your not traveling from one fixed address to another (assumed to be moving from home to home) your a transient, if you are in the same situation but dont have a job, and beg for money your a vagrant. (I dont want to make this a political debate, but what do you call somebody who begs the government for money or suppport, I think Mit Romney just called them "takers" durring the last presidential election.)

If you live in your RV, van or car... what do you consider yourself? vehicle resident? transient? or vagrant?

definitely don't get the need to label and categorize...

simple category for me......Im not homeless......Im Home free !!!!!!!!!!!

I like Transient, I dont beg for money, I work, and I tramp around a lot. Also, Transient implies transition, as in everything is temporary even this life.

my 2 cents.
I'm Definitely NOT a vagrant. there are literally thousands of full timers living in VANS whether they cost a $1,000 or $120,000 Class B , Trucks & TT's Class "C" & A motorhomes, they are NOT vagrants either, but may Not actually have a stick & Brick address. I choose to have land for a reason, but my address is a PO box & it's all legal ( no I don't live @ the PO Box Address) your vehicle might be your Home, owning Property "Should prevent you from being classed as a Vagrant in my Eyes", & a few $$ in you pocket.
I never Beg, although I have joined in with some others, offering something to share or if invited to have something they have,
Definitely that is NOT begging, or being a Vagrant. a roof of some sort over my head is home.
been acused of it, in Norfolk,Va parked @ the beach since my van looks like a junker on the outside, I had barely parked, COP on me right away.
sparky1. my 2 cents

I do read your posts, Blue, with respect, you are too much interested in cataloging and defining people that chose to be free from such categories.

Zil said:
I do read your posts, Blue, with respect, you are too much interested in cataloging and defining people that chose to be free from such categories.

I think that's what he is getting at: Some people choose to be home-free in a vehicle; some people are reluctantly in a vehicle. There is a big difference in how they view their circumstances.

I've never really cared what labels are given to me, and I only apply one to myself when one is required. I think many here are the same - they're a resident at some mail forwarder in a state they haven't been in for years, or of the place they wish to vote in, or where the benefits or regulations are attractive.

Police and politicians do the same - they apply a label to me when it suits what they are trying to do.

Do we have different labels for people who are "reluctantly" living in a crappy basement apartment or with their parents or with a partner they no longer wish to stay with?

I really dont like labels, matter of fact I think its pretty wrong to be saying "people who are poor and living in their vehicles need to have a special word to describe them other than vandweller... thats our word and we have more money than those beggars" the only reason I can see for doing that is because you want to treat one group of people one way, and another group of people a different way even though there are more similarities than differences.

Transient and Vagarant arent my words, but they are legal definitions of who you are by what you do. "VanDweller is an additude" is a nice poetic ideal, but in reality your just a dirty transient without a real address in the eyes of a lot of people (and courts, and social workers etc), regardless of how much money you have or what you live in.

I honestly think the farther we get away from those labels the better... so I'd rather embrace a word like "Transient" (which is the accepted norm) and maybe change the public or accepted negitive outlook of it, than try and hide from it by calling myself something else etc... then there is the other side of it... who other than me is happy being called a transient? maybe we need other words, other lables (like vehicular resident) that dont carry such negitive weight (I dont think the general public has a very high opinion on "vandweller" either...)

Reducto yup we do, look up "basement dweller" dont know about sticking with an ex you hate for financial reasons... maybe you'll have to invent that one... (similar to rule 34)