Do I really need to buy a van again?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanderer

Reaction score
I'm sitting at a local community center.

1. Free wifi
2. Showers 
3. Right next to library
4. Paid till Sept then $42 a month.
5. Hired by Walmart ($10.25 an hour Deli) (Hours to be determined, but I think 32 a week)
6. My Van (1998 Dodge B1500) works OK (Needs front end at $990 done soon) But runs good, 10 mpg though.
7. Have propane heater for heat (Come winter) Stove also for cooking.
8. Round trip from work, to sleeping area (Another Walmart) and stop off at community center and back to work is 15 miles.

I don't believe I need to go after another van at this time. Would you? :huh:

Why are you considering buying another van?

$1000 worth of work on what I assume is a $3000 van(just guessing) ? If you have zero emotional attachment to the van you might be able to come out ahead buying another van but buying a vehicle is always a gamble.
Then again just in the past 30 days I've spent more on parts then what my van initially cost me. So I may not be the best with decisions like this.

Well, I paid 2,400 for mine and if it needed $1K I'd fix it as I am ok with that amount. Now if you said tranny and $1K for front end, then I'd be looking for another. Sounds like you've got a decent one right now. Better the van you know than the X factor...

If its paid for and you have kept up on all the rest of the van, then why sell it? Why buy someone else's time bomb? Unless it a rusted out eyesore keep it. Your round trip is only 15 miles. At 10mpg That's less than $5 a day to be nice and kozy, or get a small scooter for $700 on craigslist and put off those repairs till later.

FALCON said:
Why are you considering buying another van?

I trying not to, that is why I asked others their opinions.

minimotos95 said:
$1000 worth of work on what I assume is a $3000 van(just guessing) ? If you have zero emotional attachment to the van you might be able to come out ahead buying another van but buying a vehicle is always a gamble.
Then again just in the past 30 days I've spent more on parts then what my van initially cost me. So I may not be the best with decisions like this.

Vry good guess. Yes $3K purchase. I didn't mention I had just dropped $1,400 for brakes/water pump. Burt wanted  others opinions. With this yet to do, might as well hang onto it for 5 years or so.

dusty98 said:
Well, I paid 2,400 for mine and if it needed $1K I'd fix it as I am ok with that amount.  Now if you said tranny and $1K for front end, then I'd be looking for another.  Sounds like you've got a decent one right now.  Better the van you know than the X factor...

True, I "Feel" that I "Could" do better, but as they say "Better the devil you know, then the one you don't"

This is one of the reasons I try to have removable components in my Van.  So that if something
happens such as the tranny or engine throws craps or in the event of tornado, flash flooding,
or a total resulting from a wreck.....then the contents can be moved to storage, while a new Van is
found.

I don't live in mine full time, but when I worked corporate I used to tow a small econo box car behind it.
I moved around the different divisions in my work and could load the Car and Van and move quickly this way.  My apartments generally had a Stove and Refrigerator and that was about it.  I outfitted it similar to the Van so I could pack up and bug out on short notice. As a Single Guy,  it gave me an edge to gain raises and promotions as most of the married employees weren't willing to do perform this valuable service.  

But the lesson was "flexibility". 

When one has but one vehicle and their job hinges on it's dependability they have to think and have a plan B
going in the background.

If your Van is a 1/2 ton and light in weight could a small Car tow it to where you could park it until repairs could be made ?  Is the car tow-able by the Van. Could you afford license and insurance for a 2 Car discount ?
A Car could be parked about anywhere  for 48 hours before moving it.

But I found having a Van and small Car to be very handy and reassuring when I was traveling in my work.
Small Cars are easy to find cheap.

This might be a good time to temporarily treat your current van as if it were some strange van you were thinking of buying.  Pay a mechanic to look the whole van over and see what else is wrong with it, if anything.  Have him do a compression test on the engine, and hook up a vacuum gauge to look for any valve problems.

Maybe - and I'm not sure about this - have an oil sample sent out to a lab for analysis, check for metal particles indicative of excessive bearing wear.  I honestly don't know if a single sample is significant or if it's the multiple samples fleets do over time that makes this a useful technique for them.  Maybe someone else here knows.  High Desert Ranger?

Anyway, if the answer to the question "Would I buy this van?" isn't YES, then it's obviously time to stop dropping money into it and start looking for another van.

Regards
John

Black stone-labs.com. Oil samples commonly only cost like $25. And yes it gives very good results, a complete printout of the metals found and the norms for that engine. You can see if coolant is leaking into the oil from this test, fuel residue in the oil from incomplete combustion, as well as abnormal levels of brass or other internal component metals.

You had a really good suggestion there...

Dusty

"I am not affiliated with Blackstone Labs nor am I getting a referral payment. However, if they'd like to send me a free 2015 Dodge Promaster, I'd take it. ". :)

eDJ_ said:
This is one of the reasons I try to have removable components in my Van.  So that if something
happens such as the tranny or engine throws craps or in the event of tornado, flash flooding,
or a total resulting from a wreck.....then the contents can be moved to storage, while a new Van is
found.

I don't live in mine full time, but when I worked corporate I used to tow a small econo box car behind it.
I moved around the different divisions in my work and could load the Car and Van and move quickly this way.  My apartments generally had a Stove and Refrigerator and that was about it.  I outfitted it similar to the Van so I could pack up and bug out on short notice. As a Single Guy,  it gave me an edge to gain raises and promotions as most of the married employees weren't willing to do perform this valuable service.  

But the lesson was "flexibility". 

When one has but one vehicle and their job hinges on it's dependability they have to think and have a plan B
going in the background.

If your Van is a 1/2 ton and light in weight could a small Car tow it to where you could park it until repairs could be made ?  Is the car tow-able by the Van. Could you afford license and insurance for a 2 Car discount ?
A Car could be parked about anywhere  for 48 hours before moving it.

But I found having a Van and small Car to be very handy and reassuring when I was traveling in my work.
Small Cars are easy to find cheap.

Well, this was just a pondering question. I was planning on getting a storage unit (Might see if I can use a plug in to have food storage) but also a foldable tent, bike and trailer.  That way, if something terrible goes out on the van, then I can pop over to the unit, get the stuff I need to survive and go from there.. I have in fact, noted areas where I could set up a temp place to sleep. I jsut found out my work is not at night, so this means I probably won't be very visible to most people.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
This might be a good time to temporarily treat your current van as if it were some strange van you were thinking of buying.  Pay a mechanic to look the whole van over and see what else is wrong with it, if anything.  Have him do a compression test on the engine, and hook up a vacuum gauge to look for any valve problems.

Maybe - and I'm not sure about this - have an oil sample sent out to a lab for analysis, check for metal particles indicative of excessive bearing wear.  I honestly don't know if a single sample is significant or if it's the multiple samples fleets do over time that makes this a useful technique for them.  Maybe someone else here knows.  High Desert Ranger?

Anyway, if the answer to the question "Would I buy this van?" isn't YES, then it's obviously time to stop dropping money into it and start looking for another van.

Regards
John

Well, I already own it, so the questions about buying it is moot. It's more of a question "Am I good enough as is, or am I still lacking?"

I think this has been answered.

dusty98 said:
Black stone-labs.com.   Oil samples commonly only cost like $25.  And yes it gives very good results, a complete printout of the metals found and the norms for that engine.  You can see if coolant is leaking into the oil from this test, fuel residue in the oil from incomplete combustion, as well as abnormal levels of brass or other internal component metals.  

You had a really good suggestion there...

Dusty

"I am not affiliated with Blackstone Labs nor am I getting a referral payment.  However, if they'd like to send me a free 2015 Dodge Promaster, I'd take it. ".  :)

Dusty, thank YOU.  I was aware of the process, but not where to have it done, or how cheap it really is.

Sorry, fraid I don't have a spare 2015 Dodge Promaster laying around.

Regards
John

Oh well, sigh. Guess I'll have to wait for the publishers clearinghouse guy to find me.

On the road again...just can't wait to get off the road again!

Somewhere nearing Colorado off I25.

as far as the oil analysis goes. you can get good info out of both long term testing and a one shot deal. the long term you get to watch the levels of the metals content, when numbers start to rise beyond the norm you know you are getting close to the end. the one shot will let you know if you have antifreeze or fuel mixed in. also if the metal amount is way above the baseline for an engine of your type with x-miles. wanderer just wondering what you are being told is wrong with the front end? have you got a second opinion? highdesertranger

Wanderer wrote:

Well, this was just a pondering question. I was planning on getting a storage unit (Might see if I can use a plug in to have food storage) but also a foldable tent, bike and trailer.  That way, if something terrible goes out on the van, then I can pop over to the unit, get the stuff I need to survive and go from there.. I have in fact, noted areas where I could set up a temp place to sleep. I jsut found out my work is not at night, so this means I probably won't be very visible to most people.

Yes, I appreciate the curious mind investigating the options alright.   I spend a lot of time pondering my
projects too.   Some are too quick to call those who do this...."dreamers".    But if you have a Dream,
then you can begin to define Goals and execute a Plan and break that down into List that will help you manage your
goals by objective.  Whether it is locating materials, or acquiring them, repairing a project or building it
from the ground up it will be best done in small steps. 

In the early 90's I had a mid 80's Ford Van I used.  I lucked into a mid 70's Opel Station Wagon that had been in a hail storm in Oklahoma.  It looked like someone had worked it over with a ball-peen hammer. The windshield had been replaced and otherwise it was in good running condition.  Got it super cheap and it
became my spare Car/Trailer and if I folded down the back seat I could even sleep in it. 

Compact Station Wagons back then weren't anything people wanted and a lot of "working Joe's" bought them cheap for "honey for the money" work cars or "grocery getters" for the wife.   As I read about the
Opel (German Built...later ones built in Japan by Isuzu) It had some real quality features.  But with the back seat folded down and front seats slid forward all the way...I could just about have the utility of a Trailer
or a small Car.  In those days I had an old Schwinn Continental 10 speed and a bike rack that fitted to the
bumper on front of the Van.   I could put the bike in the back of the Station Wagon and drive somewhere to park the Car....and ride the bike back to the Van.  It seemed the little Station Wagon went under most peoples radar.  I guess a Station Wagon just says...."Family Car....Family Man"....and is seen as non menacing.  I guess a one could pick up a baby seat in a yard sale and carry it in the car when they park it to further legitimize it.
A young guy could always say it is for the Kid and an older guy say it's for the grand kid.   Otherwise it could be carried in a black plastic trash bag to conceal it when traveling.

Right now I see places like ALDI's grocery stores selling tents for cheap.  Stores are dumping Camping stuff to make room for Back To School now.

And  Dusty and Optimistic,  good points on the spectro analysis.  One Corporation I worked for Fleeted a bunch of Diesel Equipment.  They were constantly taking samples from those engines to send off.  I remember
one of the Engineers telling me that they didn't run antifreeze in them (as they all had heaters in the block) and a chemical called Boron was used in the coolant.  Thus if Boron showed up in the Oil they knew there were water leaks.

just to clear up the boron thing boron is not a chemical it is an element. number 5 on the periodic table. they where probably using a derivative of boron one of the compounds, maybe borax. boron does not occur naturally on earth, which makes it very expensive. borax which does occur naturally is what was mined in Death Valley's dry lake beds. the largest borax mine in the western hemisphere is outside of Boron CA. and produces about !/4 of the worlds borax. just a little trivia for you all. highdesertranger

LOL,  thanks highdesertstranger  :)

I guess the Tech people figured that telling us that there was no antifreeze in the engines and to never block a
"hitching post" where the trucks park and plug in to maintain engine heat was all we needed to know.  Our trucks also had heated side tanks to keep the fuel warm and flowing.

I just caught a conversation once where all of this was being explained to some customers to assure them of how dependable our shipping was.

When you are not paying rent or mortgage, putting in a couple grand to improve your "home" is a no brainier. We give our van a top of the line tune up every year even though she's a bit rusty underneath and the transmission isn't perfect. Spent maybe 5 grand on improvements in 2.5 years and bought it for 4. It's a 1995 GMC vandura.