Do I permanently ghetto-mount my AC?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brahmon

Reaction score
aloha friends

im in a personal quandry.   not that i give a fk what others think...i do enjoy comments that my rig "looks like a sick swat unit" or a "zombie rig."   however, would permanently mounting 2 5000 btu acs in the back on either sides of the solar panel kill my image?   ??

im just so sick of pulling the ac in and out cuz im a lazy fk and my arthritis is killing me as it is.  

photos for reference.  

Well, you're not exactly stealth.
So I'd paint them black and mount them low through the wall.

Youre obliged to ghetto mount everything. To hell with the RV industry lemmings.

why a black van? it's at least 40 degrees hotter than white or silver.

zonie

dont know. why my reply was omitted. that was actually my plan b so thanks!

elbear1

i like your way of thinking brah.

it was originally a staid church bus and i wanted i more sinister look. it is quite hotter but with 2000 watts of solar, 1000 ah and a future 10000 btus of ac, absolutely no fks are given im happy to say. ;)

You are not going to be stealth no matter what.

I think I need to up ,my game. lol

Forget stealth with all that solar. I seen one person make a side mount AC system using drawer slides.
For the outside covers he used hatches made for boats. When he wants to move he slides the air conditioner in and closes the hatch. When he gets to where he is going, open the hatch and slide out the AC.
Being on HD drawer slides it takes little effort. You just need a way to lock the slide when you don't want the AC to move.

I saw that sliding A/C setup too.  Very smart.  I can't remember if it was one of Bob's interviews.

jim i gave up stealth for a few reasons. firstly, there really is no such thing since most people can tell who's living in their vehicle. secondly, i like black and thirdly, i hate being hot.

i just ordered a pair of hd slides. thanks for the tips. if anyone has any diy vid that would really help!

I think that I seen it in a thread here. Basically you build a cabinet on the side of the van, and mount the drawer slides and shelf backwards. on his I think it was made more like a night stand and the rollers were under the shelf. When the AC was inside, the top of the AC was used as a shelf.
You have enough solar to maybe get a portable double hose AC and just have the hoses blow the hot air out. The single hose portable AC units should be avoided. This guy explains it

On my setup I built a false wall and stuck the AC in it You can see it here About 3 minutes in I show the AC.

it is your vehicle, if you want a ghetto look then go for it.

dannyb
i love your install but i dont have the "garage" space. ill have to mcgyver a custom install. thx for the vids.

maki2
i think by painting them black, itll look less ghetto and even more swat. lol. im planning on dual units on either side.

The real swat team vehicles come in lots of colors besides black. They are often military green, tan, grey, brown, blue and even white. Just do an image search if you don't believe me. But no red, yellow or lime green as they don't want to be confused with fire trucks.

brahmon said:
aloha friends
I mounted mine on heavy duty roller guides. It stays in fixed position inside the trailer when moving and I unpin and roll it out when stopped.
im in a personal quandry.   not that i give a fk what others think...i do enjoy comments that my rig "looks like a sick swat unit" or a "zombie rig."   however, would permanently mounting 2 5000 btu acs in the back on either sides of the solar panel kill my image?   ??

im just so sick of pulling the ac in and out cuz im a lazy fk and my arthritis is killing me as it is.  

photos for reference.  

DannyB1954 said:
Forget stealth with all that solar. I seen one person make a side mount AC system using drawer slides.
For the outside covers he used hatches made for boats.  When he wants to move he slides the air conditioner in and closes the hatch. When he gets to where he is going, open the hatch and slide out the AC.
Being on HD drawer slides it takes little effort. You just need a way to lock the slide when you don't want the AC to move.

That's what we are doing in the cargo trailer to RV conversion except that we plan on not driving with it out.  Was thinking about getting bay door for opening.  Hmm... boat hatch (same as bay door?)  Your friend have a link to his setup by any chance?  

Christine

but the most badass rigs imo are the murdered out full on black ones. ;)
to each their own.

"The real swat team vehicles come in lots of colors besides black. They are often military green, tan, grey, brown, blue and even white. Just do an image search if you don't believe me. But no red, yellow or lime green as they don't want to be confused with fire trucks."

ok, here's the rough version.  too about 3 hours.    gonna do the right side too.    not too shabby eh?   isi it ghetto-y enough?   lol

forgot to mention im gonna bling it lit with diamond plate to cover the excessive holes. will that gentrify the ghetto look? lol