Do I need a tent?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
I'm hoping to make regular extended road trips, using bookdocking, car camping etc. along the way, with my days spent driving, sightseeing and hanging out at local shops with Wi-Fi ( :D ) and my evening hours in my vehicle. It looks I should be able to equip a minivan for comfortable nighttime reclining and sleeping at campsites and so forth -- but I wonder if I need a small tent as well. I could see using it to keep my place at campsites, as a changing/washing station etc. (not if I'm staying overnight at Wal-Mart, of course....), but frankly I think I could get more comfortable and sleep better in the vehicle.

Do you use a tent? If so, do you prefer sleeping in your car or van, or does the tent hold special advantages that ensures its occasional use?

When van camping, we used to bring a separate tent for longer stays, it was our bathroom/changing room. Nice to have room to move around while dressing and having some potty privacy was pretty nice as well.

I sleep in my truck but use the tent like u say to hold a spot, clean out and organize bed of truck, as a tarp. If I am in a very family oriented campground I put it up, as to fit in :). Using it as a tarp now, have used it to separate and store out of season items in past. I like it!

agree a tent is a great thing to have along even if you only use it on rare occasions. highdesertranger

If you already have a tent, bring it.
If you don't have one, WalMarts are everywhere. You could try going without a tent and then buy one if you decide you want/need one.

^^^KASibson already said what I was about to say. Thrift stores have tents to sometimes.

^^^anewbiewannabe already said what I was going to say about KASibson having said what I was going to say...

If you're in a minivan and all you're worried about is changing/using it as an outdoor potty, you could also just wrap a tarp around the back door that raises up. I'm in one and when I don't have a super private campsite that's what I do.

Like this, but completely around. Not hard to do at all with a tarp or two and some bungee cords.

The only disadvantage is that you probably want to lower the door to sleep and such and it takes a minute sometimes to get it situated after raising the back door again.

On the plus side, it's a lot cheaper than a good tent and more versatile. When I don't need the private stall I have been using mine as an awning by bungeeing one side to the roof rack and extending ropes from the other 2 corners to nearby trees.

I have taken a tent a few times on road trips. But I don't like sleeping in a tent. And I definitely don't like putting them up or taking them down......especially when it is or has rained. The last time I did a long ( 6,000 mile round trip) road trip I never used the one I brought along. I just didn't need it. For me it was more hassle than it was worth. My CSUV provided everything I needed. I mostly stayed at public campgrounds and used the showers there. I was able to get dressed inside the vehicle pretty well. So, from now on I will leave the tent behind when I go out for a RT.
I need the space inside the vehicle, which will make things more comfortable along with some of the other things I will leave behind that are of no use that take up space.

I've tried 3 types of tents, as well as no tents at all, and have settled on a 2-person Instant Dome Tent that literally sets up in less than a minute (http://amzn.to/2cP8yH0). It has withstood heavy desert winds and rains over the last 2 winters. I usually set it up when I'm going to be camping at the same place for a week or more. I store water and larger/heavier containers to make it easier to access to the smaller items in my Prius. I've not had to stake it down, but just put something heavy in each corner.

One unexpected benefit of the tent is for safety. Most people assume when they see my Prius parked next to the tent, that I sleep in the tent (even assumed by some vandwellers). The tent makes it appear possible that I'm not by myself, which I like for safety reasons.

On my 6-month NP tour in 2010, I brought a pop-up tent, but never used it (like this one http://amzn.to/2cjEBPU). I've since seen similar ones collapse under the desert winds; so, I've not brought it with me since.

At the first RTR I brought a shade shelter (similar to this one http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kelty-canopy-house-shelter-10x10-3-season~p~3186v/, except with a top vent). Had it not been tethered to my car, it would have blown away one night. I've also seen Easy Up type shelters collapse in heavy winds.

BTW, sleeping in my hatchback is so much more comfortable than sleeping in a tent. But, I would do so if my car needed to be in the shop to get a problem fixed.

Hope that helps.

Suanne

I have a couple of tents. One of them has just screen material to keep the bugs off. (it also has a cover for rain). Sleeping under the stars in nice weather is one of my favorite things.

Suanne said:
On my 6-month NP tour in 2010, I brought a pop-up tent, but never used it (like this one http://amzn.to/2cjEBPU).  I've since seen similar ones collapse under the desert winds; so, I've not brought it with me since.

At the first RTR I brought a shade shelter (similar to this one http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kelty-canopy-house-shelter-10x10-3-season~p~3186v/, except with a top vent).  Had it not been tethered to my car, it would have blown away one night.  I've also seen Easy Up type shelters collapse in heavy winds.

BTW, sleeping in my hatchback is so much more comfortable than sleeping in a tent.  But, I would do so if my car needed to be in the shop to get a problem fixed.

Hope that helps.

Suanne
I am a little confused. Are you saying that you would take a tent if you were going to be staying in a place for more that a few days? And that on road trips where you would be stopping and going more often you would not use one?

I know when I stopped at Ehrenberg a couple days it was hard to put up a tent for me. I was going to use it as a potty, changing, and possible shower tent. I had it and attempted but I could tell that even if I managed to struggle to get it up, a gust would probably have messed with it.

One of the other problems I have with a tent is if it rains. It can be a mess to try to take one down with all the mud and such after a rain. Then I have to put it in the storage bag wet and put that mess in the vehicle. Not to mention the mud and dirt that I get on myself taking it down and track that into the vehicle as well.
I figure that the solution to that is just don't put it up when it is supposed to rain. But I have had it rain sometimes when it wasn't supposed to.
Have you experienced similar problems?

Stevesway said:
I am a little confused. Are you saying that you would take a tent if you were going to be staying in a place for more that a few days? And that on road trips where you would be stopping and going more often you would not use one?

Yes, you are correct. And, the only tent I'd use is a 2-Person Dome Tent because it's the only shape and size I've found that holds up to the wind. And, I'd only get an Instant Tent because I just don't like putting up and taking down tents ... or, maybe I'm just lazy ... whatever reason, my Instant Tent is easy and quick to put up and take down.

... One of the other problems I have with a tent is if it rains. It can be a mess to try to take one down with all the mud and such after a rain. Then I have to put it in the storage bag wet and put that mess in the vehicle. Not to mention the mud and dirt that I get on myself taking it down and track that into the vehicle as well.
I figure that the solution to that is just don't put it up when it is supposed to rain. But I have had it rain sometimes when it wasn't supposed to.
Have you experienced similar problems?

My 2-Person Instant Tent has been in lots of rain. Since I'm rarely constrained by any kind of schedule, I've just waited for it to dry before packing it up. If I wasn't able to let it dry, then I'd pack it up and put it in a large black garage bag until I found some dry weather to let it air dry.

Hope that helps clarify

Suanne said:
Yes, you are correct.  And, the only tent I'd use is a 2-Person Dome Tent because it's the only shape and size I've found that holds up to the wind.  And, I'd only get an Instant Tent because I just don't like putting up and taking down tents ... or, maybe I'm just lazy ... whatever reason, my Instant Tent is easy and quick to put up and take down.

You have given me some food for thought here on the tent. I hadn't really thought about the 2 person instant tent. I have the regular expansion poles type dome tent and a 6 person Coleman instant tent. Maybe if I would get the 2 person it would much easier to put up , take down, and roll up into the storage bag. Even thought the 6 person instant tent goes up pretty quickly with just me it is rough to roll up and get into the bag. I am sure that the 2 person would be a lot easier than the 6 person. Thanks for the idea.

I am trying to make the vehicle road tripping experience as easy as I can, until I decide to get another motor home....maybe!! In doing so, I have followed your blog and some posts you have made here on CRVL to get ideas on how to set up my Ford Escape. And I have modeled it pretty close to your Prius setup. On the trip I took earlier this year it worked very well, but I was ready to get out of it after a month of traveling. Although, I am thinking and planning another RT here soon.
Thanks again for your ideas.

I've camped with Suanne quite a bit, and I can also highly recommend her tent. Pops up and down very easily and we saw it stand up to some serious winds in Moab. Outstanding tent!
Bob

some of the shower enclosure work for taller people. I bought a 40buck one for last years RTR I could stand up in it(6'2" however not much shoulder room. but beware many are junk. the one I bought barely made it the two weeks of RTR, the zipper failed and the nylon was so thin that it was getting dozens of small tears. it went in the trash. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
 I bought a 40buck one for last years RTR...  but beware many are junk.  the one I bought barely made it the two weeks of RTR.  highdesertranger

I don't mind paying a premium price for something that will last a long time. So if anyone out there knows of a durable shower enclosure for us tall folks, please let us know.